Introduction/Question?

Started by brandonbodt, July 06, 2015, 02:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandonbodt

hello all, new member here.  I've been enjoying reading back through old posts and learning about a piece of gear that I'm extremely interested in.  I have sort of a general question about using the Gr-55 in live performance.  Does anyone here use the gr-55 for playing guitar and bass at the same time?  I'd like to have my normal guitar signal pass directly into my guitar amp and split the root note into a bass amp.  from what i can glean it seems that perhaps the cosm modeled sounds blended w/ midi bass might give the most usable results, is that accurate?   I'd love any general thoughts and experiences on this topics.  Also, can I pan a bass sound hard right and a key sound triggered on higher strings hard left and use a total of 3 amps on stage?  Thanks guys, soon i plan to scoot down to a local store and give the gr55 a test drive. 

gumtown

From my interpretation of the question, you want to play regular guitar, but also want a bass line to be extracted from your chord playing and also PCM synths as well.

The answer is Yes and No.
Yes you can play guitar use the internal amp modelling and some effects, you can use the Bass modelling as well and switch on only one or two strings, and have that exit out of the "Guitar Out" jack, and you can have PCM synths, you can assign the CTL and EXPression pedals to control various parameters of those sounds, and you can PAN the PCM synth and the guitar tone to left and right, but you lose use of the chorus, delay, and Reverb effects if you don't want the L/R channels mixed.

If you are after intelligent bass player to accompany your guitar (and a drummer too) I would look at the Digitech TRIO

! No longer available
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Sec-Def

I don't have a gr55, yet.
but what you're after is do-able, just send midi into a daw (like ableton), in mono mode (one channel for all strings) and gate it so that only the lowest note is played.
I used to do this with  soft bass-synths all the time, so that I could play a chord and not get muddy in the low register.
ableton has an fx called corpus which is PERFECT for this, it has a side chain for midi, which would either ring like the last or lowest midi note it received.

brandonbodt

Great info here guys.  Thank you very much~!

shawnb

Another trick is to play MIDI bass only on the E & A strings.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp