GR-55- Cloud reverb anyone?

Started by Jetbit, September 15, 2015, 07:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetbit

I really love some of the verb effects available with the Strymon Big Sky, particularly 'Cloud', if I could afford it I'd buy one but they are not cheap! With the processing abilities of the GR55 it must possible to create something similar but I wouldn't know where to start. If anyone has already created something similar or could explain in simple terms how I might try to achieve it I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Jim Williams

I am not familiar with that reverb unit but if you select the routing 2 option in your patch you can get some more depth in your reverbs and delays. you just need to mix the mod and mfx left and right and you can get some spectacular stereo reverbs and delays.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Jetbit

Thanks for your reply Jim, I'll give it a try but it's probably beyond my scope of expertise (I find it all rather confusing). I never seem to find the time to learn the device properly and routing in particularly is something I've neglected.

szilard

The Cloud setting sounds like Ambience to me. You can use the the reverb at the end of the signal chain. The GR 55's time will not go as long as the Big Sky, if you want a longer reverb you'll need to use the one in the MFX and add some delay after it.

Jetbit

Thanks szilard, you're right it is 'ambience' I was thinking there was something else in the BigSky Cloud mix besides reverb and delay to give it it's lush ethereal quality maybe a 'pad' to fill it out? Anyway thanks again, I'll play with the suggestions so far and then if I can't achieve it start dialing in a touch of PCM pad.

szilard

I tried it, but the Roland ambience sounds a bit like a tin can when you start to increase the time and level. And there is no reverb in the MFX. The best approximation I came up with quickly was a 3tap delay into hall 2 reverb. When I want a lush reverb I normally use SpaceMaster in Reaktor.

Elantric

aliensporebomb

I own a Big Sky.  I got it for about $25 lower than you can get it anywhere else because the store sold out (they had more inbound) and it was their never used display model with all the documentation, bumper sticker, warranty card etc.  Look around.  You may be able to get a deal. 

It's a WONDERFUL device - well worth the price:

This is the VG-99 through the BigSky:

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Jetbit

Thanks for the suggestions guys keep them coming.

The object was to try and achieve a similar lush ambient reverb  as BigSky - cloud, without needing to invest in more hardware. Time or lack of it is a major factor, I just don't have enough of it to fully get to grips with my gear. I just want to pick up my guitar and play and spend a bare minimum of time dialing in a pleasing and appropriate sound. Maybe it's a case of either/or -  sell some Roland gear and replace it with a Strymon BigSky, then maybe the Mobius at a later date.

Aliensporebomb: I love your music it reminds me of some of the Tangerine Dream stuff I used to listen to in my wayward past.

Thanks again

Jetbit

Problem solved!

I use a Line 6 Amplifi 150 as an FRFR combo for my GR55, I searched 'ambient' in tone search of the iPad app and found some pretty decent ambient delays around to download, and tweak if needed. So I run guitar out from GR55 into guitar input of Amplifi and stereo out from GR55 into Aux in of Amplifi add a touch of pad and wow, just what I wanted. I usually only use the Amplifi app and guitar input for non GK guitars, and aux in for GK guitars.

Thanks again for all the help

bryanz

Jim Williams

I am looking at the Boss RV-6 it has some potential for some very cool ambient reverbs. I saw a comparison video on YouTube and I was very impressed.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

sloopdawg

Quote from: Jetbit on September 20, 2015, 04:31:35 PM
Aliensporebomb: I love your music it reminds me of some of the Tangerine Dream stuff I used to listen to in my wayward past.

I like it too...
I thought I was the only one who listened to Tangerine Dream

aliensporebomb

Tangerine Dream = huge influence.  Especially the 1970s to mid 1980s stuff. 

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.