Roland released official OSX10.9 Mavericks USB drivers for VG-99
http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=VG%2D99&id=63066973

---
Old info kept active as every year there is ALWAYS a new version of OSX

============================
Since there is no VG-99 Driver for OSX 10.9 Mavericks

Here is workaround

On the VG-99 go to:

System > USB (page 2) > Driver Mode (Page 2) > Change it to Standard mode (it'll ask to restart the unit).

Then use Roland UA-4FX Maverick OSX 10.9 driver is here:
http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=UA-4FX&id=63061799

After all USB Driver installation is done, Connect the VG-99 via USB to your Mac

And then, you can go to  OSX system preferences, Sound,  and change it to the VG-99.

----

Similar workaround worked for VB-99 owners here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10068.new#new

drbill

GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

Elantric

drbill

GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

vanceg

Good work around!  Unfortunately, I can't seem to get MIDI working.  Audio worked fine before I installed the driver, of course.  I see the UA-4FX control panel on in system prefs - so it looks like the driver has been installed.  I just can't get MIDI communication between VG-99 and Mac.   Tips anyone?

aliensporebomb

What's strange is - on my system the existing installed driver worked fine for everything once I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mavericks.  I'm not sure why that is the case.  I didn't need to do anything special to get my RC-300 working either.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

Myself, I have not upgraded to Mavericks , because too much legacy gear I use will never get Mavericks drivers  - So I have a mixed array of OSX 10.6 , OSX 10.7 OSX 10.8 Macs.

Since Mavericks is OSX 10.9  - does this mean in 2015 they run out of numbers and rename OSX to OSXI ?

vanceg

Quote from: aliensporebomb on December 20, 2013, 04:46:33 AM
What's strange is - on my system the existing installed driver worked fine for everything once I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mavericks.  I'm not sure why that is the case.  I didn't need to do anything special to get my RC-300 working either.

What?  Really?  I'm not seeing my VG-99 as a MIDI In/Out in Audio/MIDI settings anymore, so I can't get MIDI in/out of my VG-99 now.

Likewise I can't get that UA-4FX driver to show up as a MIDI In/Out in Audio/MIDI settings either - So I've got no way to get MIDI from the VG-99 into the computer now (other than perhaps setting up a standard 5 pin MIDI I/O).

Of course - My VG-99 editior does not work either. 

Are you able to get all this to work?

I didn't want to upgrade to 10.9, but once I did I LOVED it because I'm finding a general UI speed increase on all applicaitons - My machine feels "new" again.  I thought I would stick with 10.6.8 for another two years...but I'm really liking 10.9....except that I lost my Waves plugins and I lost the VG-99.....Together, they may be enough to make me revert!

aliensporebomb

Yes.  Editor, Librarian, MIDI, USB Audio Recording, all work fine.

It claims I'm using "Version 1.0.0" but the last several versions have all indicated that.  I get the idea Roland's programmer never updated that field.

This is the process:
-When Mountain Lion came out I downloaded the Mountain Lion VG-99 driver.

Then when I updated my OS to Mavericks, the VG-99 just worked.  I'm not sure how or why.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

vanceg

Damn.  I went straight from 10.6.8 to 10.9 so I never used the Mountain Lion driver. The Mountain Lion driver will not install onto my computer now that it's running 10.9. 

The UA-4FX driver seems to do nothing for me - I don't see the UA-4FX or VG-99 appear in my audio/MIDI setup though I can see the control panel for either (or both) if I have them installed.

Frustrating.  But I bet I'll find a combination that works soon. 

ANYone who has had success getting a VG-99 to work well on 10.9 - Please let me know how you did it!

Quote from: aliensporebomb on December 20, 2013, 05:07:49 PM

It claims I'm using "Version 1.0.0" but the last several versions have all indicated that.  I get the idea Roland's programmer never updated that field.

This is the process:

Then when I updated my OS to Mavericks, the VG-99 just worked.  I'm not sure how or why.

vanceg

So where did you get this information on using the UA-4FX drivers with the VG-99 on 10.9 from? I'd love any tips about how to get this working.  Right now I'm not able to get a VG-99 or UA-4FX to be listed in my Audio/MIDI Setup (Midi window) and since Core MIDI isn't recognizing them, it looks like the VG-99 editor isn't able to see the VG-99 nor can I get MIDI in/out of the VG-99 into Live or other mac apps.  Any help would be really appreciated.

I have uninstalled the VG-99 driver (from 10.6) and the UA-4FX driver and then reinstalled the UC-4FX driver only.  Ive also uninstalled that and attempted to install the VG-99 driver for 10.7 and 10.8 - Neither will install on to 10.9 (installer refuses to even try to install them saying the wrong OS is present). I HAVE been able to re-install the VG-99 driver from 10.6, but it doesn't work...so I've uninstalled that now.

Bummer! 

At least the Roland support website claims the VG-99 support on 10.9 is "in test".... but who knows what that really means.

it's too bad because 10.9 seems to be much snappier and faster than 10.6 was.  I'd hate to have to regress just for this.

Quote from: Elantric on December 20, 2013, 06:22:23 AM
Myself, I have not upgraded to Mavericks , because too much legacy gear I use will never get Mavericks drivers  - So I have a mixed array of OSX 6 , OSX 7 OSX 8 Macs.

Since Mavericks is OSX 9  - does this mean in 2015 they run out of numbers and rename OSX to OSXI ?

vanceg

Can you send me a copy of the MIDI Driver that you are using in OS 10.9 that seems to be supporting the VG-99?  It should be in Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers.   I'll PM you my email address (though i think you have it) and, if you are willing, just email a copy of the driver to me.  If you are willing.

I can't install the 10.8 version on my machine because the installer stops immediately when it sees I'm running 10.9. 

I've been trying everything I can now for about 9 hours to get the UA-4FX driver to work - but no luck. 

I'd like to try to manually install the driver for 10.8 and see what happens.

Quote from: aliensporebomb on December 20, 2013, 05:07:49 PM

This is the process:

vanceg

I tried to install the driver without the installer -Manually placing many items in the "right" folder (which I determined by opening up the driver installer and looking at the folders that the items were to be placed in).  it didn't work.  10.9 didn't like the drivers installed that way.

Oh well.  I finally gave up and moved back to 10.6.8 where I KNOW all my software works.  I'll wait for an official VG-99 driver for 10.9 (which will likely be the 10.8 driver with an installer that works with 10.9).  If that never arrives, I'll upgrade to 10.8, get the 10.8 driver working, then update to 10.9 which seems to have worked for other people.

concordal

For vanceg and other forum members wanting to install the VG-99 driver, you can force the installation of any pkg installer on a Mac using Pacifist (from http://www.charlessoft.com/)

After installing Pacifist, right-click on the  VG99_USBDriver108.pkg  and choose "Open with ..." Pacifist.  Then within Pacifist, right click and choose "Install to default location."   See snapshot below.

Remember that the VG-99 driver will appear in your system preferences right away but you still need to restart the Mac -- a forced installation doesn't provide this warning.

Elantric

Great tip Concordal !

dysamoria