GR55 Midi Interface: Use of THRU functionality possible?

Started by pro84, March 15, 2013, 06:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pro84

Hi,
since 3 weeks I'm a proud owner of the GR55/GC1 bundle. I found this forum very helpfull. Thanks to all of you.
Now my first post:
The GR55 is connected to my PC via USB running Cubase and my old (but still good) Roland D50 via midi to the GR55.
Playing guitar and recording midi tracks works fine. Even the D50 is working this way.
However, playback of the recorded midi tracks does not work. I know that the internal sounds of the GR55 can't be played via midi. I want to use the GR55 as midi interfave between the D50 and the PC in this case to hear my recorded midi tracks with the D50. I hooked up this route: PC -> USB -> GR55 -> GR55 midi out -> D50 midi in
Is this possible? In words: Midi thru function on GR55?

Any help appreciated, Thanks!

PRO84
(Sorry, bad English, I'm German)

Elantric

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4840.msg33038#msg33038

QuoteThe GR-55 can not "read" external MIDI Note on/off messages. Can not use GR-55 as a MIDI tone generator.

Also, the GR-55 can not re-send ALL MIDI message received on its own MIDI Input. No "MIDI Thru" function.

It can not act as a proper MIDI to USB , or USB to MIDI interface for other MIDI gear.

QuoteFor that reason I bought cheap, small MIDI merger Prodipe MIDI USB (2 IN / 4 Out). One small disadvantage: every time you turn on Prodipe you need to select the operating mode.

shawnb

The one exception noted in the thread referenced above, is that the GR-55 DOES pass MIDI CLOCK received on its IN port thru to its OUT port.  So the GR-55 can be in the middle of a chain that keeps tempo sync'd. 

Via MIDI cables, I use RC-300=>GR-55=>VG-99 and it works great.  (On the GR-55, MIDI Sync is ON, and MIDI Clock out is OFF.)

I've tried to pass notes & PCs and CCs thru the GR-55, & was unsuccessful.  Yes, sometimes I like confirming what should be obvious. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

pro84

Thanks for the clarification ...
I need to learn how to use the right keywords in the search function  :) ...

PRO 84

shawnb

Quote from: pro84 on March 15, 2013, 08:52:49 AM
I need to learn how to use the right keywords in the search function  :) ...

Sometimes you just have to try a bunch of different keywords...

Also, I believe there is a bug in the forum's search function...   This has been driving me nuts.  I recently thought I found something new, a product by Sonuus.  I searched the forum, found nothing, & posted.   I later realized there is a ton of material on Sonuus...   

The behavior is this...   When viewing forum posts, when you use the 'quick search' in the upper right hand corner of the page, you frequently get nothing returned.    If you immediately search again, you find what you're looking for.  If you searched initially from the main menu, you would have found what you were looking for.  If you use the advanced search, or if you repeat the search, you find what you're looking for. 

My theory is this - I think that if you are viewing a post within a thread, that quick search at the top of the page only searches that thread.   ANY OTHER TIME, it is a global search. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

The SMF Search engine here sucks - I have no control.

BTW - a link to important threads is included in the scrolling News banners at the top of the Home page
Advanced Search Tool lists the best methods and workarounds
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2978.0

Myself - I use Google and the search on these terms: "VGuitarForums" : (insert name of gear or topic of interest)"

This yields the best results for me.

thedavs

Hi Guys

Will the gr pass the midi clock over usb cable. My setup is rc 50 to gr55 via midi then gr 55 to pc via usb

I am trying to sync live 8 with rc 50 set as the master but having no joy

Please help

;D

shawnb

Good news & bad news. 

Good news:  The GR55 will in fact let the MIDI clock signal pass out of the MIDI OUT port, as if it were a MIDI THRU.  This appears to be the ONLY signal the GR55 will pass 'THRU'.   

Bad news:  The GR55 will NOT pass MIDI START and MIDI STOP thru.  It will only pass the MIDI CLOCK 'ticks'.   
(*** caveat - I have confirmed this over a MIDI cable, not a USB cable.  I am assuming the same internal logic applies.)   

What this means is that you can sync tempo pretty well with the GR55 in the chain, e.g., the timing in a delay.  But any device that you want to have start & stop sync'd WILL NOT WORK, e.g., drum kits.   

So the answer is, it depends on what you want to do....  If you are expecting it to start Ableton, that won't work. If that's what you want to do, you likely need some form of MIDI split/merge box or cable. 

A little more detail here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9230.msg66910#msg66910

One possible solution, is this cable:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9509.msg68397#msg68397

thedavs

thank you

I am controlling live 8 with my m-audio oxygen8 v2 so dont need to start stop things, just want want midi samples to play within time off my rc50 to the loop that we have set on the rc 50. looks like i will need to spend more time on live 8. I have the rc50 and the gr55 in sync its just live 8 now

as always many thanks you guys rock  ;D

Thank you