GR-55 - Recording

Started by shopstartuk, March 19, 2015, 01:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

QuoteQuestion is: Can I send audio from the GR55 through the USB and reproduce that audio from my sound card?

I dont recommend re-routing USB inputs from GR-55 to other sound cards for output.

Typical results are very high latency, pops / noise, or no operation

shopstartuk

Hi Guys

I decided to try Audacity. Im fine with recording from the GR55. However, I want to add drums from my Boss RC30 Loop station. obviously this is not working as I am going out from the GR55 into the looper. I cant do it the other way around as the GR55 does not have a jack input. Any ideas how I can set this up?

thanks
Fender Strat Plus Delux
Fender Tele 60th
Roland GR 55

Elantric

Get s decent Focusrite multichannel audio interface

robilo

Audacity is OK for certain things, too much latency for overdubs. Reaper lets you use Audacity as editor.
I like Auria (Audiobus with DM1), with iPad, going through an RME UFX but it is an expensive option.
Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart. Andres Segovia

DreamTheory

Everyone has a favorite. I had Cakewalk and it was great back in the days before USB. That was then.

Now I use Cubase LE, and have no glitches when running GR-55 directly into it. GR-55 acts like a sound card. It has USB output and you can monitor existing tracks through the GR-55 headphone out.

Cubase LE5 runs great on my ten year old laptop. You can get a free copy of the software with an Alesis iO2 interface. Cheapest price is http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/685448-REG/Alesis_IO2_EXPRESS_iO2_Express_USB_Audio.html, B and H Photo, currently $78 but the price fluctuates lower sometimes, not sure why. My students have gotten it from them and been happy with the shipping promptness etc.

This adorable little device is USB powered, 24 bit, and has 1/4" or XLR inputs with phantom power option. If you want to record GR-55 and drum machine in stereo (recommended), make a separate stereo track of drum machine going through the iO2, then play along with GR-55 in stereo, either directly from USB output of GR-55 or use 1/4" outputs through iO2.

If you must record more than two tracks simultaneously, move up to a mixer with more channels and USB output. The Alesis Multimix 8 also ships with Cubase LE. You might as well get at least 8 channels because once you start having friends over there are never enough channels.

Cubase is by Steinberg, who invented VSTs. So when you are ready there is a built in softsynth you can control with GR-55. The only bad thing about Cubase is that it is a pain to register the license. Install from disc, not website.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

MarkFromHawaii

I'm trying to create a midi file with Reaper.  I created a new track with the input read on all midi channels.  Recording input is audio or midi.  I've enabled RealControlMidi (Cockos) as a VST.  I have the GR-55 midi out connected to a Scarlett 2i4 through the midi input, and I also have it connected to my PC via USB.  I've enabled both the 2i4 and GR-55 in Reaper preferences. I get no sound and nothing is recorded.

Singed - Ready to Pull My Hair Out.   ???
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

Elantric

Two things are core to know

The the GR-55 PCM Synths  will NOT  respond to external MIDI Note on/off messages  - so you must drive a separate tone source (VSTi SoftSynth, Separate Hardware Module)

Reaper is not the ideal tool for recording MIDI

Read the Reaper forum for best strategies for establishing a VSTi SoftSynth in Reaper.
http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

MarkFromHawaii

Thanks Elantric.  I've downloaded the 4Front Bass VSTi plugin and have the midi track set up with the plugin.  Still no sound but I'll work on it later when I have time.  For now, my son's commencement has precedence. :)

MarkFromHawaii

Eureka!  It was the Guitar Midi Sw setting in the System settings.  ;D Default is off so I turned it on.  I have to play with the tracking as it's a little glitchy from the normal settings. 

TIP:  Edited to add that I found setting the "Chromatic setting" to ON and "midi out mode" to mono yielded the best tracking in Reaper.