Godin XTSA

Started by kennisrussell, May 17, 2011, 02:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motetito

Here is a video from Carlitos arellano and his GODIN XTSA. This guitar sound really amazing. he uses a roland GI20 and there is NO GOST NOTES AT ALL!!!!
Maybe im wrong but seems like this roland conversor works better than any GR board! i never tried the gr55 with external modules. there is anyone who play A WHILE with external synths? any comments?

Menos es más...Tocá con el corazón.

aliensporebomb

That guy used to be known as "Jazzpick" over on Guitarwar.com and he had this great song called "Guitar Tribe" from his "In My Next Out" cd that was #1 on that site (sort of a competition site) for MONTHS - he was SO good!  Bravo that he's still out there playing great.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

musicman65

That is phenomenal tracking. My xTSA (and my technique) needs some tweaking! I have the Ghost Floyd Rose bridge with stock preempt and the output seems way too hot. Anyone know how to attenuate the piezos? I also have a Charvel with the same bridge...neither work as well (in my hands) as my RR Strats.

bd

bobc2112

My Godin XTSA 5th string wasn't sounding when using the acoustic pick up so I took it apart and found when I waggled the individual saddle around, it worked. The small brass coloured string guide came off, exposing a wire. Should this wire be attached to the underside of the string guide for it to work? Should I solder it back on? Thanks, am not familiar with this type of pick up!

bobc2112

Looks like its knackered. Is it possible to buy single saddles?

Elantric

There is supposed to be a wire emerging from below each brass piezo saddle.
Contact Godin support.
Or contact RMC installers
http://www.rmcpickup.com/authorized_installers.htm

Elantric

Ive made the following mods / updates to to my Godin xTSA.

* Install Super Vee Mag-lok ( required minor dremel work in rear spring cavity)
http://www.super-vee.com/images/Mag-Lok_Product_Page_Image.jpg

I love these devices and installed one my JTV-69 too. 

* Swap stock locking Tuners for Planet Waves Locking 3+3 Tuners. I found the stock tuners to be junk, poor ratio and the top locking nut on the stock Godin Tuners would actually break my high E string or not clamp it very well without a 1/2 reverse wrap before tightening the top nut. Much happier with the Planet Waves Locking tuners and improvements this made in my tuning stability during and post heavy tremolo use.

* Swap the stock Nut for a Graph Tech Black Tusq XL Slotted 1 23/32" PT-6114-00 Tremolo Nut.
The Factory Godin White nut claims to also be a Graphtech, but my "G" string was always sticking and going sharp after a dive bomb - even after applying massive amounts of Big bends NutSauce. My always out of tune g string is history now.     

* Replaced the stock Humbucker PU's with GFS RectoTron Liverpools - these sound more like my TV Jones Filtertrons on my Gretsch 6120 now.

* Installed the GFS RectoTron Liverpool PUs in Seymour Duncan TripleShot Coil switch PU Rings - gives access to Fender tones. I had a spare set of Creme colored  - but will soon get some Black ones, which will suit the color of the guitar better. 

* Swapped Single Coil Middle PU with a Fender Vintage Noiseless - no hum, yet nice vintage Strat tone !

* Mounted a Fishman TriplePlay. have access to 13 pin (via RMC Piezo) for GR-55/VG-99 and FTP for more Guitar to MIDI madness.   

After all the above mods - this took the guitar from an 8.5 to a 10 for my current needs in my new band  - The Kristen Black Band
http://www.amazon.com/Kristen-Black/dp/B00006L502 

I recommend adding a  SuperVee Mag-lockto the Godin xtSA  for Tremolo Stability, improved Guitar to MIDI tracking , and solve diving board noises on each plucked string.

motetito

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!

Elantric Master of the universe!!!

I have the SAME SAME problem since i owned my godin lgxt (nut g string problem, tremolo problem, first string breakig issue)
i was looking a solution for very very long time! (i had to read every luthier book out there. now im a guitar repair guy due to the lack of good work hand here in Bolivia)
You gave me hopes!
I will try everything you did so please any other suggestions will be very welcome!!
Thanxs man for posting this... really!

Elantric

After my mods - my xTSA is working very well. I no longer lust after a Fender Jeff Beck Model, and after installing the Super Maglok, I can finally palm mute and stay in tune.

Biggest improvement to tuning stability was getting rid of the junk factory Godin locking tuners and replacing with Planet Waves 3+3 Locking tuners.

Replacing the Nut helped a bit too. 

I'm rather confident these identical mods would improve the Godin LGXT as well.

musicman65

My xTSA has the Ghost equipped Floyd Rose with a Kahler "behind the but" lock. It required a top route which I did with a dremel and wood chisels. I have ZERO tuning or string breakage issues.

Everything else is stock. I dislike the chunky ebony fingerboard neck as compared to my maple/maple strats. I can get used to it but its just too different. I would swap pups and add a coil split on the bridge. It is much darker with higher gain than my strats so most of my mag pup patches don't work as well. If I played it more, brighter pups would help.

I do like the Floyd Rose on the xTSA.

bd

motetito

Hi Elantric!
im thinking change my tuners on gondin lgxt ( the godin xtsa have the same tuners and same headstock dimentions) and i have a couple of questions:

What kind of locking tuners can i use without drilling or drilling a bit. Here we have these ones (sperzel black)

What do you think? they are a good choice? (i dont know exactly the model buy maybe you can see the picture.

Elantric

What kind of locking tuners can i use without drilling or drilling a bit. Here we have these ones (sperzel black)

The Factory Godin Tuners use two "hidden holes" that are "near" the same location as required for the Sperzel tuner's hidden mounting pin hole.  However these 2 hidden pin holes MUST BE PLUGGED when installing Sperzels, else the tuner may tend to rotate  on the headstock and not stay in tune.

So after plugging the old Godin Tuner Holes,  you will CAREFULLY have to Drill new holes in the Headstock to accommodate the Sperzel Tuners Hidden Mounting Pin. 

Personally Ive tried them all - still prefer the Planet Waves for 3+3 style headstocks, and they are far more stable, high Gear ratio,  and zero backlash play in the tuning mechanism.

I find the Sperzels to be real difficult to install correctly.
My complaint with the Sperzels is they have a very thin metal casing that requires absolute care and accuracy and drill press to locate the proper alignment in the headstock for the hidden hole for the hidden mounting anti rotation pin. If you get this hole slightly in the wrong place  - then go ahead and mount the sperzels with their 10mm nut on the face of the headstock  -the Sperzel's thin metal casing warps, and the whole mechanism can easily tend to Bind up due to the added lateral torque caused by the misaligned hidden mounting pin. Add they wear out and do not accommodate medium gauge strings. I often play with 10-52 (skinny top / heavy bottom) strings, and its very tough to thread a .052 gauge low E in the Sperzel tuning hole.     

So if you have a local luthier, go for the Sperzels if you must, just be sure he has PRIOR EXPERIENCE INSTALLING SPERZELS! 

thebrushwithin

Steve, did you have to modify the tuner holes to accommodate the Planet Waves tuners?

Elantric

No - but I did drill 6 new holes to accommodate the Planet Waves typical "Grover / Schaller" style anti rotation lug on the rear 

Rather like seen here:

thebrushwithin

Thanks! Looks like a good choice.

motetito

thanx really helpful so i will go for the planet waves tuners
becouse this will be a DIY project. thnx

dpage44

Quote from:  Elantric on January 02, 2013, 10:02:58 AM
Finally having a working  "Guitar / Mix / Synth" switch on the Godin  allows instant verification and reality check on the COSM Guitar Modeling and for me opens up worlds of usefulness for the GR-55.     
I just got a brand new Godin xTSA and a GR55. I've been reading the posts here for 2 weeks and found this to be a very useful site that has accelerated my understanding of the GR55 in light years.

I created a patch to only hear the pickups on the guitar. The trouble is I can only hear the pickups on the mix (center) position of the switch. The Guitar only position is silent. I expected to hear the guitar when I switched to the 1st position. I know I have all the Synth off on the Gr55 as it is silent on the 3rd position unless I go in and turn it on.

I can't any sounds out of the guitar only switch position. I am wondering if I have a defective xTSA or a lack of understanding.
Any information will be appreciated

Thanks,
Don

uglybassplayer

Hi Don,

I was having the same problem.   It's not a problem with your XTSA,  it's a matter of understanding how it works with the GR-55.   This post helped me to understand it....

www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3745.msg25350;topicseen#msg25350

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

dpage44

Thanks for the link. I had already done those things and it was working as he described, I just couldn't hear anything in the guitar only position. The thing that led to the "Ah Ha!" moment was he was using an amp, a cord and the L/Mono jack and I have been using headphones. I hooked up my amp that way and got the same thing..... 2nd and 3rd switch worked, but the first position was still quiet. I decided to move the cord to the guitar out jack and viola, sound on the 1st position! Hooked up 2 amps. Now all 3 positions work. So no defective guitar.  :D

musicman65

Although you have it working with 2 cable, You are still missing the "mag pickup" signal routing through the single 13-pin cable to the GR55. You have to turn on the Mag Pups inside the GR55 to use them with amp models in the GR55. Roland, being completely stupid, turned this off on all but a few factory preset patches.

The xTSA will function identically to a Roland Ready Strat through 13-pin only. No second cable required unless you are finicky and don't like the mag sound through the GK cable.

bd

Elantric

I own two xTSA's myself . Musicman65 is correct.

Read this thread
* How to enable "Normal Guitar Pickups" and make the Guitar/Mix/Synth  three-way switch work with the GR-55:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3402.0

dpage44

Thanks Guys. I found where I was messing up.  :P

brucefulton

So, I'm curious about the maglok. I don't do a lot of string bending, but my lgxt does have some tuning instability with the use of the trem system. Will the maglok also help with returning the system to a stable set point, or is it really just useful for the double stop bending that tends to throw the trem system out of balance? In other words, if I install it, will it improve the overall tuning stability of the trem system?

And, what minor dremel modifications were involved? My lgxt is new and in warranty, so I'd want to know what will be involved installing it. It looks like it should  be a fairly straightforward drop-in.

If I can't get something to stabilize the trem, I'll probably just block it and call it done. I'm pretty sensitive to tuning issues. But when a bit of trem is called for, I'd rather have it.

Quote from:  Elantric on July 28, 2013, 05:06:35 PM
Ive made the following mods / updates to to my Godin xTSA.

* Install Super Vee Mag-lok ( required minor dremel work in rear spring cavity)
http://www.super-vee.com/images/Mag-Lok_Product_Page_Image.jpg I love these devices and installed one my JTV-69 too. 

Elantric

Adding the SuperVee Maglok really improved all my floating Strat style trem guitars.

It allows me to use the whammy bar both directions (up and down)  - yet provides an important "stabilized" bridge (when I dont touch the tremolo bar) that i can FINALLY Palm Mute just like playing my  Les Paul without making the guitar go sharp while resting my hand on the bridge.

I now have Magloks on JTV-69, Godin xTSA, and PRS SE Santana 

The dremel work (required only on the Godin xTSA) was slight (directly under the MagLok in the rear spring cavity)   - as there was not enough depth in the rear xTSA spring cavity body route for the mag-lok device to function properly without hitting the body and falling off the short Godin  / RMC Tremolo Block anytime I raised the whammy bar.

I work on all my guitars so I'm happy with the results.

But if you are still under warranty with a Godin LGXT - and seldom use the tremolo - I would block the tremolo with a small wooden shim -until the warranty runs out - then install the Maglok. Perhaps If your Godin Dealer does guitar repair - they could install the MagLok and not harm your Godin Warranty) 
http://www.musiciansbuy.com/Warranty_Info.html
Godin Warranty: 1 year braces and electronics, 2 years bridge, 3 years neck

myksara

Interesting to know that the maglok does work. .
I have a maglok that came with my supervee Bladerunner trifecta set but not tried yet. .
Elantric: nice to know we have lots of stuff in common. .a jtv 69, godin (mine is lgxt), prs se santana..
how do you like the prs se santana? And do you find it better than the se custom24?
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2