Boomerang III update now un-officially available

Started by Mrchevy, December 19, 2012, 07:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrchevy

Hey all, I sent an email to Boomerang Musical asking for an update on the midi sync update.....

Hi Mike, just wanted to be a pest and see if you could offer an update on the update so I can give an update on the update to the looper guys on the VGuitar forum. I'd like to invite you stop in if you have the time https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=38.0    Thanks, Mark C and lovin my Rang

And this was the response from mike Nelson of BM...

Hi Mark,
        I believe the MIDI sync software is complete, and I'd be happy to send you or other Rang(TM) III owners a copy. While it hasn't been officially released, many players have been beating on it with no reported problems.
        We are currently attempting to add a "brother sync" feature which will allow 2 IIIs to operate as one huge looper WITHOUT an external MIDI clock.
        Thanks for offering to be a conduit to vguitarforums.com.
        All the best,

Mike
--

Mike Nelson
Secretary/Treasurer, Boomerang Management, Inc.
General Partner of Boomerang Musical Products, Ltd.

If you have a Boomerang III and would like to request the midi sync update file, go to their website and send an email request for the update via the "email us" button at the bottom left of their home page here http://www.boomerangmusic.com/   Wahoooo, midi sync for the Rang.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Mrchevy

Incidentally, if any of you Rangers get the update up and going I'd like to hear how your using it and how the install went. I'm still a little vague on the uses of the sync function and would like to learn more about the use of syncing it with other equipment.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Threeleggedyoyo

Quote from: Mrchevy on December 19, 2012, 09:00:21 PM
Incidentally, if any of you Rangers get the update up and going I'd like to hear how your using it and how the install went. I'm still a little vague on the uses of the sync function and would like to learn more about the use of syncing it with other equipment.

I haven't used one myself, but I can explain what it does...

MIDI is a general language that digital musical instruments can use to communicate.

They can send different types of messages to control different things. A few examples:

-- Effects parameters (turn distortion on and off, or another effect)
-- Note parameters (note start/stop messages)
-- Stop / Go messages (Play, Stop, etc)
-- Tempo controls
-- Patch changes

"Midi Sync" usually refers to syncing beats together. In the case of the Boomerang, this means you could connect it to other equipment and it would stay on beat with the Boomerang (or the Boomerang could follow the beat of another piece of equipment).

This has a variety of uses. Here are a few...

-- A drum machine could play in time with your loops and not drift.
-- Beat synced effects could play in time (delays, tremelos, arpeggiators, etc)
-- You could sync it to other loopers that have this ability (The RC series can give tempo to other units but aren't very good at receiving them, though the 50 can at least do it in some situations).

For example, if you check out my video (I know, shameless self-plug, but it's what I'm familiar with) I've got no less than 3 devices syncing to the MIDI clock of my RC-50:

1) SR-16 drum machine plays in time and starts when I hit Record the first time.
2) GT-6 effects unit puts my guitar tremelo on the beat
3) SL-20 connected to my keyboard makes the arpeggiators play in time on the beats.

Now that the Boomerang III has Midi clock sync, it should be able to do all the same things.

Hopefully that helps.

Elantric

This is huge news - thanks for being the messenger !
They need a 10 foot sign "Boomerang  III  = now with MIDI Sync! " at their Winter NAMM show booth

Csewell

Anybody get this yet? No response from Texas for me. Wondering if you have to sacrifice a button for tap tempo or if it can only be a slave.

Mrchevy

I sent my request a couple of days ago (20th)and haven't received anything yet either. As for the MASTER/SLAVE question, recalling from a conversation with Mr Nelson  earlier this summer, It will likely work as a slave only. It would be nice if they just made it available on their site for download. I suspect since they are a small outfit, they are out Christmas shopping and haven't checked emails  ;D. I'm not exactly thrilled with the manor of which you have to do the update (USB to MIDI). I guess if I was more midi savy it wouldn't be an issue but it would have been nice going from usb to usb.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Csewell

Got the file last night. Going to test and compare today. Pretty sure Im liking the RC300 for my needs, but Ill give it a try. I really like the Rangs master track paradigm. But the Rang can only be a slave. That might have advantages.

Mrchevy

Well that bites. I requested the file on the 20th and again last night and still haven't heard anything. Is it proprietary to only one unit or can you share the file? Also, please keep us informed on how things are workin and such.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Csewell

The Rang Update works as advertised. For my methods and approach, I like the RC better though. I like controlling all on the RC. Plus tempos are not set it stone like they would tend to be if the drums were the master. Yes, I could tap and start with the 880 but that would require yet another pedal.

Mrchevy

Csewell, have you played with the Rang anymore? I'm a little leary right now about doing the update as I'm not overly midi savy and don't want to brick my Rang. Trying to figure out if I can do the update with what I have equipment wise. Rang - UA25 audio interface w midi in and out - Sonar 6 home studio DAW- windows XP. Got the Sweet midi player but it says the free version only plays 3/4 of the file??? How did you do your update ( in midiot terms ;D)
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Csewell

I have not. My approach prefers the RC300 as the master. I found the update to go easily and quickly. I used sweet midi player as Im on a mac. Its the second update Ive done. Both went well. The language the rangsters use is a little intimidating. Much more of a CYA then a threat I think.

Hopkins

Quote from: Threeleggedyoyo on December 19, 2012, 09:25:04 PM

Nice vid, TLY!

My spare time has been totally shot recently.  I think it has been nearly three months since I checked back here, and I have probably only practised my music a handful of times since then.  I'm currently sitting in a hotel whilst away from work, hence a short break from the hectic schedule.  There is a lot to catch up on here!