Piezo noise with modeled guitars...

Started by Jim Williams, March 17, 2012, 07:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Williams

I have just installed the Graphtech Ghost system on my Les Paul and I set up a patch on my GR-55 with a Classic Strat model and a Fender Bassman amp. I get this ping or a ring on the tail end of my notes or when I mute all the strings with my left hand and strike the strings. It is almost like a very small feedback tone. If there any other piezo users out there who have come across this problem please share any solutions. Thanks. I have posted this mp3 as an example.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

germanicus

Install a gk pickup! (not what you want to hear, but it will work!)

Piezo's can be problematic with COSM modelling, as their frequency range output is much broader than the magnetic based GK pickups for which the units were designed.

Ive had various success with piezos and COSM modelling. I had a godin xtsa that did not work very well, but currently have a LGX-sa that works well enough (even though its still 'boomier' than the gk's).

That ring sounds odd to me, but piezos are 'microphonic' in that they can translate any knock/bump into transmitted sound. This is why many gr55/vg99 folks choose to install third party filter input mods to trim the excess offending frequencies.

Then again it can be something specific to the Graphtech's.

My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

LeeMorant

My graphtech is hideous (floyd rose doesn't help).  I have fitted filter, set up and damped my guitar to the nth degree, make little difference i'm afraid. Can be stopped (to a degree)by lowering string sens in gk settings (<25 on all strings), but that makes the triggering quite dead feeling and not nice to play.  Take joy in the fact if you bought the full kit you can enjoy blended acoustic models that gk wielders can only dream of :P

Jim Williams

Thanks for the replies and I set my sensitivities to "0" and found the noise still there. I found my PCM triggering to also work best at this setting, I just had to bump up the level of my COSM guitar a bit. I also found that if your Natural pickups are a little noisy just bring down the gain of your Normal pickup in the GK settings. I still use my Jackson fitted with a GK-3 so I might use the guitar specifically for COSM electric guitars and my Les Paul for synth and COSM acoustics. The peizo pickup makes the COSM acoustics sound a lot more realistic especially on the low strings. I also plan on installing the OPT-01 in my GR-55 and that should have some impact on the sound and the issues I am having. A few weeks ago I tried a Godin with a GR-55 at GC and liked it so much I thought if I had those electronics in my Les Paul it would be my dream guitar. I should have paid closer attention to the patches with COSM electric guitars but the acoustic and synth sounds along with improved tracking stole my objectivity. Now I have to sink more money into this project not knowing if the OPT-01 will solve my problem. Even if It is not the answer I am pleased with my choice to mod my guitar.

germanicus

Quote from: Jim Williams on March 18, 2012, 04:52:37 AM
Thanks for the replies and I set my sensitivities to "0" and found the noise still there. I found my PCM triggering to also work best at this setting, I just had to bump up the level of my COSM guitar a bit. I also found that if your Natural pickups are a little noisy just bring down the gain of your Normal pickup in the GK settings. I still use my Jackson fitted with a GK-3 so I might use the guitar specifically for COSM electric guitars and my Les Paul for synth and COSM acoustics. The peizo pickup makes the COSM acoustics sound a lot more realistic especially on the low strings. I also plan on installing the OPT-01 in my GR-55 and that should have some impact on the sound and the issues I am having. A few weeks ago I tried a Godin with a GR-55 at GC and liked it so much I thought if I had those electronics in my Les Paul it would be my dream guitar. I should have paid closer attention to the patches with COSM electric guitars but the acoustic and synth sounds along with improved tracking stole my objectivity. Now I have to sink more money into this project not knowing if the OPT-01 will solve my problem. Even if It is not the answer I am pleased with my choice to mod my guitar.

I've read quite a few complaints about noise issues on the Carvin midi guitar BBS and they use graphtech systems in their synth access guitars. Im not sure its related or not to that high squeal you are experiencing though.
Godins use RMC, not Graphtech, and none of the godins i've owned had any excess noise in their piezo signal, just a 'boomier' signal quality when processed through COSM guitar. 

Traynor k4

BlakeWilder

Hey!

Had the same problem on my Godin LGX SA.
The solution: I put some foam under the strings behind the bridge. Works perfect now- no more noise!

Greetz,

Blake.

Jim Williams

Thanks I'll try the foam and I also have a OPT-1 on the way.

germanicus

Quote from: BlakeWilder on March 20, 2012, 10:15:00 AM
Hey!

Had the same problem on my Godin LGX SA.
The solution: I put some foam under the strings behind the bridge. Works perfect now- no more noise!

Greetz,

Blake.

What year was your lgx?
I have a new one and it seems they are including this as a feature now from the factory.

Traynor k4

BlakeWilder

My Godin was built in 2007, as the serial number says.
Can you tell me more about this feature? How does it work? Do they also use foam to get rid of the noise??

Greetz,

Blake.

germanicus

Quote from: BlakeWilder on March 20, 2012, 03:55:00 PM
My Godin was built in 2007, as the serial number says.
Can you tell me more about this feature? How does it work? Do they also use foam to get rid of the noise??

Greetz,

Blake.

My lgx-sa came with small foam strips under the strings. photo:

Traynor k4

LeeMorant

Today I went nuclear with foam in the back of my Jem and its cured everything up to 99% of my noise problems, I found out tomorrow how it will cope with playing at volume. https://plus.google.com/photos/117161726392358598602/albums/5540852580761999681 but at least I can now use gr type sounds again.

Jim Williams

I used the black foam tube from a guitar stand and put it between the bridge and the tail piece underneath the strings. it worked like a charm, no more noise... I don't know why I didn't recognize that pitch as behind the bridge overtones.

BlakeWilder

Easy solution....nice that it works for you too :)

And interesting that Godin recognised this problem already!

Greetz,

Blake

Jim Williams

I was playing with the settings for my Les Paul with the Ghost system to day and I found a setup that works very good. You just have to set up the PCM Velocity curve, Velocity sensitivity, Legotto and chromatic with in the patch and almost no glitches playing as fast as you can. Here is a screensot of my settings.