JamOrigin - MIDI Guitar = Polyphonic Guitar to MIDI Software

Started by Charles5150, December 15, 2012, 05:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Williams

OK I got a real simple setup and it is working nicely (still don't know if I will use it for real, it's still an experiment). My Les Paul into my Samson wireless then into my GT-100. I have the GT-100 USB outset to Dry out only mode so the GT-100 only sends a dry guitar signal to my computer. I have a session of Forte 3 synth/VST host with Midi Guitar as a midi controller and the GT-100 midi serves as a midi controller for program changes and CC messages. You can not set up different sounds for different strings but you can control more than one VST and set the note range for each one. The software can effect the pitch sent to midi of the overall guitar but alternant tunings are not possible with this technology. I guess you could use the GR-55 in much the same way with the guitar out serving as the signal for the software but that would be a huge waste. I would recommend a JTV or that new Peavey guitar. but keep in mind the software wont recognize notes that are too low (I had no trouble with drop D but drop C was out of it's range). Now they are working on some stuff but it might be a while however they seem to be pretty quick with updates. So far this software is working well and for my needs it might do the trick because I can do so much more with VSTI's than I can do with the GR-55 for example harmony arpeggiator and impulse responses.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

JamOrigin

Hi Everyone

I'm a developer at JamOrigin, and pleased to be here among so many enthusiasts.
Thank you for the overwhelming feedback and some very cool videos in this thread.

As you have noticed MIDI Guitar's real-time polyphonic pitch detection is a daunting project, but nevertheless our solution gets pretty close to hardware solutions already in its current beta stage. Perhaps surprisingly we have still got headroom for improvements - laws of physics just seem to obey.

We would like MIDI Guitar developement to be driven by you users and real needs. We are a small company with very limited resources, but please let us know what we can help solving your needs and improve it.

Best Regards
Ole Juul Kristensen

PD FX

Quote from: JamOrigin on December 18, 2012, 03:16:15 PM
We would like MIDI Guitar developement to be driven by you users and real needs. We are a small company with very limited resources, but please let us know what we can help solving your needs and improve it.

Best Regards
Ole Juul Kristensen
Welcome Ole!
I hope we wont drive you crazy with too many weird ideas ")
keep up the good work!
Paul

Elantric

Welcome  Ole Juul Kristensen!

Glad you joined our forum, and hopefully we can all provide necessary feedback to your very good MIDI Guitar application. 

Mrchevy

Yes, Welcome Ole Juul Kristensen, Its funny you should pop in here, I was just thinking this morning we should be sending you an invite to our forum since there seems to be a growing interest in your software. I have skimmed thru the 28 page thread at the KVR forum and found this very interesting. There is a really great bunch of enthusiast here and are EXTREMELY knowledgeable. You are guaranteed to get good feed back here. I myself am still somewhat of a midiot, but will be following with popcorn in hand. Welcome aboard.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

tekrytor

Welcome Ole!
You might check out the statistics page for this group to get an idea of its size and volume of traffic, all around the alternative guitar solutions, VG/GR inspired and other relevant technologies.
We have eagerly and patiently (years) awaited such developments as your MIDI Guitar software.
Your company's ongoing interest in our interests is very much appreciated and will no doubt be rewarded with a supportive user base. I can also tell you that the members responding so far in this thread are not novices on this topic and our high marks on your beta version are an excellent indication that MIDI Guitar is on track to be a real winner. Congratulations!
PS, Elantric is our CEO and Supreme Negotiator for our group buys. Perhaps you can work with him to offer our members a nice introductory offer for the official release?  :D
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

utensil

Would just like to commend the developers of Midi guitar,  The software is incredible! , though I still find a small gap between the Gr-55's midi tracking and MidiGuitars (which is closing fast), Roland could really learn a lesson from JamOrigins interaction with their potential user base. I'm sure it will result in greater adoption and an overall superior product. Soon it may be possible to replace the Gr-55 with my macbook and a DIY wireless keyboard pedal, something the triple play promises (assuming I'm ever able to get my hands on it) but if this software can do the job that's one less battery to charge and one less pickup to install and some cash saved I can put towards software instruments.

JamOrigin

Thanks everyone! It feels like comming home :)

A very special thanks Guitarpolson for your thoughtful emails and the videos. Studying polyphonic pitch data all day long can be a bit of a drag, but to see people having fun with the software like this makes it all worthwhile.

We've been busy with very rapid updates to the software over the last two months but right now we decided to finally contemplate a bit about pitch bends. I think we can actually do multi-channel poly bends, but we will try to keep it simple with mono bends first to not confuse those users less experienced than you guys with multi channel setups.

Jim Williams

Welcome Ole, I am very impressed to see you here communicating with the people using your software. I for one am amazed at what I can do with it and it is a dream come true to play synth sound wireless! I have found a way around getting the VST's to Accept program changes. I use Forte 3 VST host and I input Midi Guitar as a Virtual midi source and Forte takes care of program an CC messages to the VST's. You can also set the key range of the instruments so I can get different sounds on my high notes and my low notes. Thank you very much and keep those updates coming.

JamOrigin

Oh, ok good you found a workaround.
We will make sure MIDI Guitar pass on all incomming midi messages on to any hosted VST/AU in the next update.

PD FX

Quote from: JamOrigin on December 19, 2012, 08:48:00 AM
A very special thanks Guitarpolson for your thoughtful emails and the videos. Studying polyphonic pitch data all day long can be a bit of a drag, but to see people having fun with the software like this makes it all worthwhile.
Thanks Ole.. and I'm happy that there are programmers like you in the world that make the wildest dreams come true!

evenfell

WOW!
Thanks for this
This gotta be the best 70 USD I have ever spent on any music gear
Downloaded on mac, tried omnisphere for 10 minutes, and bought it.
Again WOW...

Mrchevy

Ole, will this work with Cakewalk's Sonar DAW's? I have Sonar Home Studio 6 on Windows XP Pro. I did not see Sonar on your compatible DAW list, or have you just not tested it with Sonar yet? Also, do I understand correctly that this basically works just like a VST plugin effect in the DAW?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

JamOrigin

Quote from: evenfell on December 20, 2012, 02:23:04 PM
WOW!
Thanks for this
This gotta be the best 70 USD I have ever spent on any music gear
Downloaded on mac, tried omnisphere for 10 minutes, and bought it.
Again WOW...

Wey, thanks for your support, evenfell :)

Quote from: Mrchevy on December 20, 2012, 05:01:53 PM
Ole, will this work with Cakewalk's Sonar DAW's? I have Sonar Home Studio 6 on Windows XP Pro. I did not see Sonar on your compatible DAW list, or have you just not tested it with Sonar yet? Also, do I understand correctly that this basically works just like a VST plugin effect in the DAW?

It should work *as an audio effect* in any DAW that support VSTs or AUs. (It can be an audio effect because it hosts the virtual instrument).
But you sometimes want it to be more than an audio effect. I.e. you want to have the midi output in the piano roll, and for Sonar it wasn't trivial but a solution has been found. Please check this page - somewhere in the middle:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359095&start=390

Mrchevy

Is this the post you were reffering to from KVR? I will try this out in the next few days and see what happens.

( Quoted from MoreK at KVR Forum)
(RE Sonar X2 & MIDI Guitar)
It did, thanks a lot!

What I missed was the MIDI Guitar pop-up menu in the Synth rack. Clicking the keyboard icon with right mouse button gives a menu with no "Enable MIDI Output" option. You have to click grey area of the synth and you'll get a different menu with the MIDI output option.

So, to summarize the whole setup:

1. Copy VST pluging to your VST folder
2. Launch Sonar. It should automatically recognize the new plug-in and create needed registry entries (ie you should see the plug-in as an effect in Audio FX menu). If not, use Plug-in Manager to scan new plug-ins.
3. Use Cakewalk Plug-in Manager, find MIDI Guitar in Effects section and open "Plug-in Properties". Enable "Configure as synth" option.
4. Close Sonar and use Regedit to change generateEvents key from "0" to "1" in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\Cakewalk VST X64\Inventory\ -> MIDI Guitar
5. Launch Sonar. Add new audio track. Insert MIDI Guitar (now found in Soft Synths menu) to FX bin.
6. Go to Synth rack view. Right click grey area of the MIDI Guitar synth block and click "Enable MIDI Output".

That's it. Add your favourite synth to a new track and route MIDI input from MIDI Guitar, which should be visible in MIDI input menu.

Thanks again, works like a charm now.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

szilard

Hi Ole,

Just an FYI that Bitdefender flags www.jamorigin.com as containing malware ...

QuoteThe page you are trying to access contains malware.

Details:
Web Page: http://www.jamorigin.com/

Jim Williams

Here is a neat little trick for you all to try. download a virtual midi program called LoopMidi http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html and set the midi out of midi guitar to midi loop the minimize it. Now when you open up any DAW or stand alone synth software select midi loop as a midi input and your guitar will be a controller for anything. On what ever pedal board with midi out set up one of the control pedals to send CC#64 information and you have a hold/sustain pedal. If you need to rout both softwares through the same ASIO driver download ASIO4all to help fool your computer into thinking you are using two different drivers. say you want to use a GT-100 ASIO driver.... select in your ASIO4all options the GT-100 and use that for midi guitar and select the GT-100 ASIO driver for your stand alone Kontakt 5 software or your DAW.

Kenmac

Quote from: Jim Williams on December 21, 2012, 05:42:37 PM
Here is a neat little trick for you all to try. download a virtual midi program called midi loop and set the midi out of midi guitar to midi loop the minimize it. Now when you open up any DAW or stand alone synth software select midi loop as a midi input and your guitar will be a controller for anything. On what ever pedal board with midi out set up one of the control pedals to send CC#64 information and you have a hold/sustain pedal. If you need to rout both softwares through the same ASIO driver download ASIO4all to help fool your computer into thinking you are using two different drivers. say you want to use a GT-100 ASIO driver.... select in your ASIO4all options the GT-100 and use that for midi guitar and select the GT-100 ASIO driver for your stand alone Kontakt 5 software or your DAW.

Jim, do you have the website link for this software as I did a Google search and there were so many hits I wasn't sure which page had the program. Was it LoopBe? Thanks.
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

Mrchevy

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

musicman65

LoopBe can also receive midi redirected over Ethernet and redirect it to remote applications.

JamOrigin

Quote from: Kenmac on December 22, 2012, 10:37:33 AM
Jim, do you have the website link for this software as I did a Google search and there were so many hits I wasn't sure which page had the program. Was it LoopBe? Thanks.

Inside MIDI Guitar standalone there is a "Connect to DAW" option in the midi output section. It will give instructions how to install a virtual midi driver.  On Mac it just works out of the box.

Quote from: szilard on December 21, 2012, 11:10:54 AM
Hi Ole,

Just an FYI that Bitdefender flags www.jamorigin.com as containing malware ...

Thanks for letting me know, szilard. I have emailed Bitdefender to get an explanation. No other tools reports anything wrong, so i think its a false positive. Thanks.

Kenmac

Quote from: Mrchevy on December 22, 2012, 12:08:15 PM
I believe this is it.  http://www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/vst.html
Thanks Mrchevy but I have that software and have been beta testing it for several weeks. I was interested in the midi loop program that Jim mentioned.

Kenmac

Quote from: JamOrigin on December 23, 2012, 02:49:51 AM
Inside MIDI Guitar standalone there is a "Connect to DAW" option in the midi output section. It will give instructions how to install a virtual midi driver.  On Mac it just works out of the box.
Thanks for that Ole. I haven't checked out the standalone very much as I use the VST plugin.

Jim Williams

Here is an interesting question..... The GT-100 has a Dry guitar out option in the USB out modes what other guitar processors have the option so you can use them with MidiGuitar? I have not come across this before and the 3 USB out modes seem to be a great idea for that type of guitar processor.

Elantric

QuoteThe GT-100 has a Dry guitar out option in the USB out modes what other guitar processors have the option so you can use them with MidiGuitar?

The VG-99 can also be configured to have Dry Guitar OUT via USB

Use the VG-99 Editor to select the USB Audio routing mode