Godin xtSA with GK-3 > GR-55, RMC PIEZO> GP-10, output imbalance ?

Started by Spaces caper, February 22, 2015, 12:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaces caper

Elantric, I noticed you have an xtsa with the fishman.. Very awesome! :)

I am using the rmc to run the gp-10 and have noticed I need to crank gp-10 and take gr-55 down to about half to match signal.. Is this to be expected or can I get more out of my gp-10?

Also the rmc doesn't track nearly as well as the gr-3 so I'm using less fritzzy settings on the gp-10.. Have you figured out any tricks to get the most from your rmc? 

Thanks in advance!

Spaces caper

I guess this is just the limitation of the unit, which makes sense ..when gr-55 has two sound drivers it would push twice the sound, I assume.

Elantric

QuoteI am using the rmc to run the gp-10 and have noticed I need to crank gp-10 and take gr-55 down to about half to match signal.. Is this to be expected or can I get more out of my gp-10?

I never noticed this issue on my gear.

Read my GP-10 Review
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11796.msg85546#msg85546
QuoteGear used for my Boss GP-10 Initial review

* 2012 Godin xtSA with RMC Piezo saddles and summer 2011 era Polydrive board.

* Planet Waves 10FT 13 pin Cable

* 2012 Apple MackBook Pro Retina w/ Logic X

* Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones + USB Cable

* Galaxy Note 2 (used as MP3 player feeding GP-10 Aux Input

On Boss GP-10, I set the GK Type to "PIEZO_R" for the RMC Piezo Pus (and GK Phase = Reverse, and I assigned the GK3 S1 and S2 to COSM MODEL PU Up/Down - just like VG-99) ) on my Godin xtSA. And this thing rocks-  While there do exist occasional minor Piezo PU rumble anomalies here and there (which GK-3 users will never see ) [EDIT: since tamed by adjusting the PIEZO Low EQ Freq to -2dB) , I can report  the Boss GP-10 with GK Type set to Piezo_R' should work fine out of the box for owners of 2012 or newer Godin xtSA / LGSA / LGXT guitars. Older "Pre 2011" Godin /RMC models may require the external Sub Filter from Dr Wayne Joness, At present I have no access to early RMC PU guitar for trial with Boss GP-10.   

I've been going through the GP-10  factory presets - and Im struck by the clarity,dynamic range and low noise.The COSM Modeling "bar has been raised to new heights in the Boss GP-10.
Using my Godin with RMC Piezo, I can report the Boss GP-10  has the Best Nylon model  Roland ever delivered to data ( blows away the VG-99 & GR-55  Nylon and Acoustic models)
All the above experience might be owed to the excellent RMC Pickup and Richard McClish's commitment to "'improving the breed ' in response to market demands 

I run either GR-55 or GP-10 with its Master Volume midway up ( at 12:00 o'clock "noon") 

Its important to know all my Godins are recent " 2012-2014" era versions, with the updated "summer 2011 era"  RMC PolyDrive-X electronics, and these recent changes Richard McClish implemented have made a believer out of me ! ( just read any my older posts back "pre 2011" where I was always singing higher praise for GK-3, and "poo-pooing" all Piezo 13 pickups.

I still hold Ghost pickups in lower regard - due to their "Mike Christian" Piezo saddle design that exhibits much higher mechanical crosstalk, with resulting negative impact on DSP  Alt Tunings 

Elantric

QuoteGodin xtSA with GK-3 > GR-55, RMC PIEZO> GP-10,  output imbalance ?

OK - I think I finally understand what you are asking ( I updated this thread's title to reflect my interpretation of your "Dual 13 pin"  signal flow

Yes - indeed, the output signal level of GK-3 vs RMC Piezo is VERY different !

This is exactly why Roland implemented unique separate assignments specific for each  "GK TYPE" 
Each requires specific  Settings!

GK TYPE   "GK-3"   = Roland GK-3 Magnetic Hex PU. For my GK-3, I set String Sensitivity set to 25-35 range

GK TYPE  "PIEZO-R" = RMC Piezo Hex PU. For my 2012 Godin with latest RMC PolyDrive-X electronics I set String Sensitivity in the  45-55 range, ( contrast this with older RMC Piezo's that  typically require the String Sensitivity be set to "0" for all strings - those older Godins with RMCs are very hot output.

I also set:

PIEZO Low EQ Freq  =  -2dB

PIEZO High EQ Freq to 0dB 

GK Phase = Reverse

and although I own 13 pin Piezo Sub Filter boards , I'm currently not using one for either GP-10 or GR-55 

Spaces caper

That is incredibly helpful, thank you very much!  Mine is the newer xtsa so hopefully I'll be able to dial it in with your settings.

Macronaut

Thanks Elantric,
This Info was very helpful to me as well.
I just got my new XTSA and a gp-10 last night and it sounded great out of the box until i tried palm muting with the modelled guitar using a slayer-ish kind of setting i dialed up and things that should be crisp ended up kind of muddy.
I copied the settings you posted and tweaked a bit and came up with a sound that had me playing for the next few hours with a huge grin the whole time.

GK TYPE  : RMC

String Sensitivity : 40

PIEZO Low EQ Freq  =  -4dB

PIEZO High EQ Freq to 3dB 

GK Phase = Normal (reverse gave me a weird clunky resonant sound when palm muting)

I went on to dial up a pretty heavy sound with some custom tuning (down 12 steps on 6th and 4th strings and up 12 on the 5th

If anyone is interested, I'll share the tone once i'm done editing some extra controls for it