GR-55- What went wrong with my alternate tuning function??

Started by Floydandsome, May 15, 2017, 06:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Floydandsome

Hi
I have been using my Roland GR 55 for a year now,
but recently I found there are some issue on the GR 55 especially when I turned on the alternate tuning
it had some really voicing and cannot hit the harmonics and tapping right, it have some wobbling noise, sometimes off-key
Can I anyone help me with this issue?
Here's the audio file of my guitar, I recorded the problem of it
https://soundcloud.com/floydyeung/untitled-session2-mixdown
sorry the tapping part I was just messing around
but it still have that weird wobbling sound

admin

Most DSP Alt Tuning issues involve the Guitar Setup

Altering the action can have an impact on DSP Alt Tuning, as well as GK Hex PU height

What type guitar,

What type GK 13 pin system?

Floydandsome

Hi
I am using GK3 pick up on my Jackson DK 2 guitar with a floyd rose bridge
and here's the set up of my guitar

admin

Quote from: Floydandsome on May 15, 2017, 05:39:40 PM
Hi
I am using GK3 pick up on my Jackson DK 2 guitar with a floyd rose bridge
and here's the set up of my guitar

Most DSP Alt Tuning issues involve the Guitar Setup

Altering the action can have an impact on DSP Alt Tuning, as well as GK Hex PU height

Floydandsome

But I think I set the PU at the correct action, because the last time I had some really weird receiving noise because the pick up is too far away to the strings
but now the noise has been reduced.

I even turned the screws of the pickup to adjust the pickup action of D and G strings

romero

it is possible to get glitches and odd tracking issues from dirty/oxidized cables  i would read this post also
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3132.75

gumtown

The intonation setup don't look right, unless you are using some odd gauge strings?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Floydandsome

Oh
It was just normal set of strings
maybe I need to restring my guitar?

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumbo

Quote from: gumtown on May 17, 2017, 03:16:58 AM
the saddle positions look unusual to me.

...and me...
...it does not look like this guitar's intonation has been set correctly

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Floydandsome

Ok
I think I am going to adjust that
but why is that matters?

Brak(E)man

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Floydandsome

What do you mean it shouldn't?

I had messed up my floyd rose once that I have to reset it. Currently I only managed to adjust the correct tremelo action, I haven't tried to adjust the intonation

gumbo

If your intonation is not correctly set, your notes will not be accurate when you play them...and the twelfth fret will not be a true octave above the note of the open string.

With the saddles out of adjustment (as it appears from your photo), you will also have possibly inconsistent distances between the saddles and your GK pickup.  Whether this fact will impact on the ability of your GK pickup to perform in the way it is supposed to, is the question that remains to be answered...     ...and whether that is in turn affecting the way alternate tuning is operating.

HTH

lespauled

As with all problems, start somewhere and if that doesn't work, continue until you find the solution to the problem.

From the photos, your intonation is way out.  It doesn't take too much time to do.  Just make sure the guitar is perfectly in tune when testing the intonation.  Make sure the locking nut is not holding the strings.  The loosen the string you need to move the saddle.  Loosen the saddle, move it, and tighten it down.  Retune that string to pitch, and check again.  Do that for every string.  At first it may be frustrating, but once you get it right, everything sounds right on the entire neck.  You'll like the guitar even more after a good setup.

See if that helps.  If not, we continue down the debugging road.

whippinpost91850

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Floydandsome on May 17, 2017, 06:57:53 AM
What do you mean it shouldn't?

I had messed up my floyd rose once that I have to reset it. Currently I only managed to adjust the correct tremelo action, I haven't tried to adjust the intonation

The only thing that might affect the alt tuning would be the "off" distance to the gk pickup
due to the saddles positions. But I doubt it
I play fretless guitar with all the VGs, GP  and GR as well as fretted.
It doesnt affect alt tuning more than the intonated fretted ones I have.
the one thing that a unintonated guitar could affect in the Gr-55 would be
the triggering of PCM or midi. (In one way there's not much difference
with a intonated guitar that you bend notes on and an not intonated guitar.)

- Lydia Lunch

admin

I will point out that The Roland GR-55 manual specifically states warped neck(guitar setup, string action ),intonation (Faulty Octave Adjustment ) , fret condition , string condition, Neck truss rod adjustment , all contribute to DSP Alt tuning and guitar modeling results

GR-55 Owners Manual:
http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/manuals/res/59105308/GR-55_e04_W.pdf

See page 7

Brak(E)man

Quote from: admsustainiac on May 17, 2017, 08:38:37 AM
I will point out that The Roland GR-55 manual specifically states warped neck(guitar setup, string action ),intonation (Faulty Octave Adjustment ) , fret condition , string condition, Neck truss rod adjustment , all contribute to DSP Alt tuning and guitar modeling results

GR-55 Owners Manual:
http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/manuals/res/59105308/GR-55_e04_W.pdf

See page 7

That's correct and it's always good to have a proper setup
however in my experience it's PCM and midi that suffers
Not the alt tuning , but I've been wrong before.

- Lydia Lunch

FreeTime

A guitar with a correct setup is not only much nicer to play, it'll stay in tune all over the neck better too. Spend some time and watch some videos on youtube, there are so many out there.

Buy a 6" steel rule with 1/64 inch graduations for a few dollars, with that you can set neck relief properly, as well as action. You will also need a good tuner for setting intonation, there are some great apps out there that rival tuners with good resolution.

I check my setup when I change strings.Now it only takes a few seconds and my guitar always plays nice.

HecticArt

Floydandsome

Thanks everyone
I have readjust the intonation and it sounds much better now
but the g string still has some of those noise occasionally
I have double-checked the intonation it is all in tune
Are there any reason causing this problem?

gumbo

Have you checked string height over the GK pickup?   ...after the intonation adjustment..

Peter

mooncaine

This happened to me:

Got a headless guitar with a whammy bridge that locks in place. I liked to use the whammy, so I left it unlocked and ready to use.

I put my Roland pickup on it, tried to set it up on my GR synth, and found that the open A string, and some notes around that pitch, would glitch up an octave about a half-second later. Drove me nuts. Did a lot of moving the pickup, adjusting the sensitivies...

... but I eventually locked the whammy bridge, and the problem got much, much better.

It was the dangling lock lever.

When the bridge is unlocked, that metal part swings loose, dangling and vibrating and buzzing.

When it's locked, not so much buzzing. (It's a cheap guitar with a lotta miles on it, and there are a few buzzes here and there)

I tried to find a happy medium, balancing the tension just right so that locking the guitar didn't knock it too much out of tune, sharp or flat. You can never really get that, to be honest, but when I got as close as you can expect it to get, the lever would not be pressing firmly against the bridge, which makes, you guessed it, another rattle.

I fell out of love with the whammy bar and I just leave it locked now, so I'm cool with it.

Floydandsome

I just realize when I put my capo on, the alt tuning will sounds like trash
I wonder if the capo causes the intonation problem?

besides, the problem seems only occur when I set it lower than the standard tuning

Quote from: mooncaine on May 22, 2017, 06:06:54 PM
This happened to me:

Got a headless guitar with a whammy bridge that locks in place. I liked to use the whammy, so I left it unlocked and ready to use.

I put my Roland pickup on it, tried to set it up on my GR synth, and found that the open A string, and some notes around that pitch, would glitch up an octave about a half-second later. Drove me nuts. Did a lot of moving the pickup, adjusting the sensitivies...

... but I eventually locked the whammy bridge, and the problem got much, much better.

It was the dangling lock lever.

When the bridge is unlocked, that metal part swings loose, dangling and vibrating and buzzing.

When it's locked, not so much buzzing. (It's a cheap guitar with a lotta miles on it, and there are a few buzzes here and there)

I tried to find a happy medium, balancing the tension just right so that locking the guitar didn't knock it too much out of tune, sharp or flat. You can never really get that, to be honest, but when I got as close as you can expect it to get, the lever would not be pressing firmly against the bridge, which makes, you guessed it, another rattle.

I fell out of love with the whammy bar and I just leave it locked now, so I'm cool with it.
I tried that, but the issue is still here :'(