GR-55 - Power shutting off

Started by Tek, May 21, 2016, 06:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tek

Hi guys
     Yesterday I went to play my rig and when I turned on my GR-55 it started normally then shut off after a minute or so of playing.
I checked all my connections, every thing was good, I then powered it back up. It started to boot then shut down right after finishing it's boot sequence. It did this twice. I then switched guitars from my GC-1 to my PRS with a GK-3, powered it up and every thing was fine for several hours of play...  :-\ ... I haven't tried my GC-1 again to see if it happens again. Really scary! I couldn't do without my 55!

Has anyone else had any power issues? Could my GC-1 somehow be causing this?

I'm running it off a power strip along with GT-100 and an RC-300, No other power issues that I've seen.

TIA!!!

Tek

I also backed everything up immediately!!!

Elantric

I'm running it off a power strip along with GT-100 and an RC-300, No other power issues that I've seen.

Be sure each device has its own Roland Power Supply (three in your case)

Tek

Quote from: Elantric on May 21, 2016, 06:55:11 AM
Be sure each device has its own Roland Power Supply (three in your case)
Yeah, they all have their own factory power supply...

admin

Roland Corporation U.S.
5100 S. Eastern Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90040-2938
Customer Service Tel: (323) 890-3700

Tek

Update - Now my GR-55 won't come on at all. I press the power button and the LED screen lights up but as soon as I let go of the switch the power goes right back off. I tried everything I could think of (checking all the connections, trying power directly from an outlet, etc... I even opened it up to see if there were any obvious signs of a malfunction - there weren't) but it would not start up...  :(

Guess I'll be calling up Roland.
Man! I don't know what I'll do without it! Just though I'd share my situation, you know "misery loves company"...

Elantric

Could be anything  but you might want to explore a repair or replacement GR-55

Sad to report that Roland Repairs for gear this complex are no longer cheap, because few technicians know how to troubleshoot. Most contact Roland and order a replacement Main PC board, and parts and labor total that can often be priced higher than gently used GR-55 on Ebay.

And remember we do have a group buy   
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=175.0

Tek

Quote from: Elantric on May 29, 2016, 08:07:02 AM
Could be anything  but you might want to explore a repair or replacement GR-55

Sad to report that Roland Repairs are no longer cheap, because few technicians know how to troubleshoot. Most contact Roland and order a replacement Main PC board, and that can often be priced higher than gently used GR-55 on Ebay.

And remember we do have a group buy   
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=175.0

Thanks Elantric, I was just looking on Ebay. Unfortunately my lack of funds will definitely slow down the recovery process.
That's what I feared, as far as repairing the unit. But I sure had some great tones that I will dearly miss. Not too mention the YEARS of work, learning and tweaking.

Could a GP-10 possibly work for me instead? Really the majority of PCM tones that I use are strings and pads...

It kind of makes me rethink my whole setup... 

Tek

Well I tried my GR=55 again last weekend and it worked for about two days straight. Then plugged it in Monday and couldn't get it to turn on. Just thought I'd post an update. I've been holding off on trying to get any repairs done since every time I get ready to take it in to be looked at, it starts working again... :D

Anyway, in the meantime, I've ordered a GP-10! Can't wait!

47Flyer

I use both the GP-10 and the GR-55 because I feel that they serve completely different purposes.  I use the GP-10 for guitar sounds (you'll Love it) and The GR-55 for synth sounds.  Anyway, before I regularly used the GR-55 I used a GR-33.  I had a similar problem to what you described with my GR-33.  I found that it was an intermittent connection at the power supply.  Before you spend a ton of money on a new unit, try a different power adapter and see if that fixes the problem.  Just a suggestion.  Good luck.

Tek

Quote from: 47Flyer on June 22, 2016, 01:02:40 PM
I use both the GP-10 and the GR-55 because I feel that they serve completely different purposes.  I use the GP-10 for guitar sounds (you'll Love it) and The GR-55 for synth sounds.  Anyway, before I regularly used the GR-55 I used a GR-33.  I had a similar problem to what you described with my GR-33.  I found that it was an intermittent connection at the power supply.  Before you spend a ton of money on a new unit, try a different power adapter and see if that fixes the problem.  Just a suggestion.  Good luck.

Thanks 47Flyer, I will try that and report back.
That sounds like a good plan, using the two units together. Thanks for your input!

Tek

Update:
I replaced my power brick/cord and now everything seems to work fine. No more shutting down in the middle of playing!

So now I have a GP-10 along with my GR-55.

I guess something good did come out of all this!  ;)