GR-55 noise - Could it be....

Started by Klaus, November 12, 2015, 12:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

Hi

I have read so much in here about the noise on the guitar out on the GR-55.  I have just bought a new one 3 weeks ago and don't have that problem.
So that why I was wondering if Roland actually have updated the GR-55 since it first come out. Yes I know there have been a major update earlier on but people still had that noise problem after that.
Of course it's not a good thing for a company to admit they have made a bad product so maybe they have just replaced some parts or whatever in the newer models?

Anybody knows anything about that?

So if there are others in here who have bought one within the last year or so, please tell us if you have the noise problem.

Also, are Roland still making them? If no, when did they stop?

gumtown

Some have issues with it, and others don't.
You don't read so much about topics like "My GR-55 guitar out is noise free".

The noise arises when driving the Guitar out into a high gain guitar amp.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Klaus

Ok, and it is not that I dont have any noise, but its not so bad that it cant be used.

DickBanks

To follow what gumtown wrote, I had this same issue intermittently with the amps set to high gain, but for me it was on normal pickups only. I bought my GR-55 used a year ago, and I do have Firmware 1.50.

I resolved it by just matching my divided pickup sound to the regular pickup sound I want (the GR-55 can do that!), and then just using the divided pickups.  So anytime I don't want that fuzzy noise (church praise and worship team), I just switch to divided pickups only, and other times I use the normal pickups on low gain, or high gain with the the volume down on them until I can tolerate the noise.

And like Klaus said, it's not excessive anyway.  I play next to a keyboard player with excellent ears, and she noticed it during rehearsal.  Otherwise I may have never noticed it myself.  I looked at it on the o-scope and it comes in at 1500-2000 Hz.  I wonder if this is produced by 60 cycle hum from the pickups with higher frequency harmonics that get amplified at a high gain setting?  A high pass filter on the front end would solve that easily, but I suppose that's what a low gain preamp is doing anyway...
Fender GC-1 Stratocaster, Fender Locking Tuners, Super-Vee Blade Runner Trem
Boss GP-10
Line 6 L3T
Record to Scarlett 2i4 --> Ableton Live

Elantric

The GR-55 Guitar out Noise will be dependent upon the gain structure of the amp you are feeding.

If you are feeding GR-55 Guitar output directly into a low gain amp, like a Roland JC-120, there should be very little undesirable noise   
If you are feeding GR-55 Guitar output directly into a high gain amp, like a Mesa Triple Rectifier or Peavey 5150 , there will be a lot of hiss

Mauri60

I want to share my (poor) experiences of noise-fighter :)
about noise, there are lots of things to looking for minimize it.
but there are double o different cases / variables to consider.
you plug guitar out directly to a guitar amp?
in that case the signal may be under two or more preamps, internal gr55 external, your amp.
this may add noise to noise and you encounter also ground loop dirties.
in worst cases i try to connect gr55 guitar out into effects send loop input, this may reduce noises, and
bypass preamp.
another trick is to use batteries as my sanyo pedal juice or Elantric monster power pack :)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10662.msg77071#msg77071

good quality audio cables may help, but i think you know this very well by yourself.
if you use also external pedals, try to separate them.
E.G. modulation effects ( chorus/flanger/delay and so on ) into send return loop, overdrive/distortion/wah equalizers probably you want to put them at the very beginning of pedal chains. (this save my life and my liver also )
PU type also may make difference single coil ( active or passive ) humbucking, etc.
i know that is quite obvious and 1000 times heard... but i hope this is useful for you.
hope everyone have a nice day
mauri
Nothing is impossible,if someone else will do for you.