GR-55 - Get many of the GR-55 Guitar Mode Forum Patches Here!

Started by A2theT, April 17, 2011, 05:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerrycali

Thanks for the work - this is a great site - with sharing and networking members - excellent !

NoahB

Yes tone I have that problem on my desktop and hadn't tried on my laptop but the first time I went thru the 956 patches in the original post randomly some patches would load only the patch name and either the last patch I had loaded would still be heard or intial data. I hadn't thought to try with a different computer til I just noticed u said you are runnin a 64bit vista and that's the same as my desktop so I will try on my 32bit win7 and see if I get the same results and post back after. I just got frustrated and assumed a lot of the patches were just a bust and gave up on them.
Jeff beck strat, GandL custom classic semi-hollow bluesboy tele,  mesa roadster, sy300 thru pair of peavey 15d powered pa speakers, big pedal board full of stuff.

Tone

Hi Noahb, did you get round to testing the problem on your 32bit win7?
I managed to fix my corrupted patches by:
1. Loading the original patch file into the GR-55 Floorboard;
2. Writing it into the GR-55 Pedal from the GR-55 Floorboard;
3. Reading it from the pedal with the GR-55 Librarian.
Now the patch can be copied and pasted where needed.

I think the bug has something to do with how they were created in the Gr-55 Floorboard, so I have included examples of the three patch conditions: Original, Corrupt and Fixed. Should someone (gumtown?) want to analyse them. Unfortunately this bug compromises my patch compilation, because I cannot be sure that what I'm hearing is the authors' intention, or if anyone of these patches will not suddenly go bust -- e.g., YNGWIE! worked fine for the first few months, then a couple of weeks ago it reverted to an Init type patch!

NoahB

Tone,
I have not done a lot of figuring out exactly which patches work and which ones don't but I find the same problem on both my PCs I load the 956 patches and click on them loading them into temp memory on the gr-55 and the name changes the way it should but the sound either stays from the last patch or is an intial patch or it works fine but it isn't random its always certain patches so I have not run into a patch that does it once but then works fine they always act the same. I hadn't tried going from the floorboard and saving the patch to permanent memory to see if that works on those patches I just moved on and assumed those won't work. I will try that thow and maybe when its all said and done the error will be remedied and we will have a big file of all the patches from the forum all working. Thanks thow most work fine and its cool to have a data base to chose from even if they don't all work. Let me know if there is any specific way I can help.
Jeff beck strat, GandL custom classic semi-hollow bluesboy tele,  mesa roadster, sy300 thru pair of peavey 15d powered pa speakers, big pedal board full of stuff.

Tone

Noahb, I managed to cleanup my patch collection -- approx. 20% of the patches were corrupt, I fixed some patches and have 168 in limbo... You could help by checking out this update, and suggesting any good patches that are missing. Below is the procedure I used to separate the sound from the corrupt:

1. Save the file to analyze with the memo columns cleared, name it "A.g5l"
2. Write these patch(s) into the GR-55 pedal
3. Read the same patch(s) from the pedal and use them to create a new file, "B.g5l"
4. Use a software utility (e.g. WinMerge -- free & Open Source) to compare the two files
If the patch(s) are sound, the files will be identical. Corrupt patches will show up as differences between the two files.

GR-55 Patch Collection Summary:
- Update 05: 1103 patches; cleaned of corrupt patches; PatchName always in alphabetical order; Memo columns rearranged
- Update 05 add-on_1: 149 patches

the-destructor

Really dunno what's goin on here. I haven't "verified" but a few patches yet, so I'm "in the dark" as far as corrupt files. I seem to have a total of 1055, they were ALL pulled from here. How the hell do I have more than the site does??? :o

BTW - FINALLY wrote a few, will be be working on an mp3 preview for them to accompany the up.

Tone

I wish I knew what's going on -- as I mentioned earlier, I suspect that it's a GR-55 Floorboard related glitch. Just for the record, here is a list of authors in my collection (with in total 8 or more patches) that have posted only "clean" patches -- n.b. so far all of the patches from the Roland and Sounds der Helden sites have been clean.

p.s. by my count, beyond those that I have compiled, there're at least another 580 patches in the forum, so approx. 1680 in all... and more are welcome!

bappatravels

Tone

Thanks for the compliment... and you reminded me to post an update -- see reply #54 above.

tedys

Hello from Bulgaria! Thanks for the great patches and info. I feel the spirit of Deep Sound Explorers in this forum .
  I've got a questn: you mentioned Pink Floyd as a row of files in that list...Maybe just i dont see but in the entire list there's no Pink Floyd named files...And i'm a huge fan to Floyd world. Any hints, mates?
  Cheers!
  Ted.

Tone

In the "GR-55 Patches 05.g5l" file you can find the artists in the Memo2 column -- Floyd under "Rock/Pop; Pink Floyd" or "Rock/Pop; David Gilmour".
p.s. There are probably other Floyd patches that I haven't tagged (due to lack of info or just overlooked)

Elantric

grip

Many thanks to AtotheT, Tone and the many others who are prepared to share their work  8) and contribute to the superb set of patches,  I can spend the rest of my life deciding which patch to use on any tune on any day  :D

Kind regards

tedys

anvil

hi

Like the forum, had a quick scan.
I would tend to put ecca's hank echo patch
in the surf cat. rather than accoustic.

regards anvil
"I'M JOHN AND I TO PLAY GUITAR, SOMETIMES I PLAY THE FOOL" (J. Lennon)

Equipment and guitars:- Anything that makes me sound better than average.

Tone

More than 1550 patches
This is not really a reply -- I just wanted to post the latest update of my patch collection.
I forgot to post 06, so to avoid confusion, here's update 07:
tot. 1553 patches, of which almost 900 are original vguitar forum entries!
Many thanks to the authors for 100's of top class patches!

p.s. I resolved the problem of duplicate patch names (with different contents) by adding an * at the end of the second entry. A second duplicate will have ** as suffix, etc.

papabuss

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

michaelgalvan

A heartfelt thanks to all those creative artists so generously sharing their work. God bless !!

Soham

GR-55 + Gk3

marcussousa

Woooow... Thanks Man!!! Frusciante is on the list!!!  ;D

Robert de Clair

Tone: Awsome priceless collection. Thanks

Im wondering why some patches are much quiet. In example hotel california. Is there a kind of bug in path or intended effect?
I know i can correct this on my own, but i dont want to broke a path sound if this is intended.
I have a GR-55 a few days and im still learning how to work with this precious :)
sorry for my english.

Elantric

QuoteIm wondering why some patches are much quiet.

VGuitarForums Patches have the volume at different levels because these patches are a "Group Collective" created by dozens (hundreds?) of VGuitarforums members, and no two users employ the same amplification hardware - i.e. some use a PA, others use a Guitar amp, others use headphones, etc.  and some use Piezo RMC  or Ghost pickups, and others use GK-3, while others use Yamaha G1D

QuoteI know i can correct this on my own, but i dont want to broke a path sound if this is intended.

It will be necessary for you to edit and adjust the volume for every GR-55 patch you obtain from VGuitarforums to suit your systems needs. Everyone has a different Amplification setup!

Tone

yeah - elantric said it all. These patches were created by more than 100 different authors (not counting those behind the Roland, Roland factory and "nd" entries). I only catalogued the patches "as I found them" in the G-55 Librarian.
Watch out for the loud patches - some assign patch volume and the amp solo switch to the EXP pedal - using headphones I blasted my ears more than once.

gazigaz

Thank You from the deep of the heard !!!!!!

Great job !!!!

Tone

Hi guys, I recently exchanged, with a some regret, my GR-55 pedal for a FTP controller and an audio interface. So here's the last update of my patch collection -- there's so much great material here that I never got around to creating more than a couple patches of my own -- highly recommended for new owners.

GR-55 Patches 08: 1720 patches updated in July (2013), and categorized by Author, Genre, Instrument, and (my personal) Rating.