GR-55 - Gary Moore - Over the hills and far away GR-55 patch?

Started by CodeSmart, January 23, 2014, 02:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeSmart

Anyone managed to put together a workable patch for the fiddle/guitar melody intro? I get PCM speed problems....any hints appreciated.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

papabuss

I hope everybody can watch this video.....
CodeSmart, do you mean the sound/tone from 0:43 to 0:50?

GARY MOORE - Over The Hills And Far Away Video - Patty-Teddy - MyVideo
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

whippinpost91850

Fordot about this song. Papabus, thanks for posting the video

papabuss

You're welcome.

Gary, younger than ever...R.I.P. :'(

CodeSmart

Yes Papabus, exactly that section.
Gary starts/plays in lower octave with dist guitar.
An the "violin" plays same stuff one or two octaves higher.
It's pretty fast to play so there aren't much room for PCM latency.

Jim Williams

Mix a Fiddle and a Bagpipes sound with a generous amount of reverb.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

papabuss

CodeSmart

Thanks Jim, I haven't had time to try very seriously because the gear is in the rehearsal place, but I tried the violin last time we practiced and is was not good. If I remember correctly the bagpipe patch is pretty fast and hopefully the fiddle is snappier than the violin. I'll give it a try  :D

My first thinking was if it was possible to do a fiddle-ish sound using COSM processing, skipping PCM latency. Hm...problem is that you want to sound like a studio recording, however when Gary played live it was very different and rougher, especially at later clips.

Jim Williams

If you layer a COSM guitar there are some flute sounds you can get out of them and I think I may even hear a Celtic flute in the track as well. Then if you put your guitars pickup in the COSM amp you may come up with a very thick 4 part tone.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

lespauled

Awesome song!!! That whole album is a great Gary Moore album.  It's the album that contains one of (if not THE) instrumental of all time....The Loner.

Thanks for the video.  I don't think I've ever seen Gary play a PRS before.  I've seen him play strats and LPs, but nothing else.

Thanks again.  Now to dig out my old GM albums :)

CodeSmart

Thank you Jim. I played the song for hours yesterday. The GR-55 curse (I think many of you agree ) is that now, being the "synth guy" in the band, the other guys think you just press a button or two and suddenly you play like Gary Moore in every aspect PLUS all the stuff, harmonies and layers of pipes, fiddles etc recorded in the studio and just like that.

Enough ranting, but these devices really take you to weird places, like: hey I'm a guitarist, why do I think about how to assist the drummer to fatten the drum sound? And this is just seconds before doing the strings section and then kick in also the guitar with  fiddle, bagpipe and a flute. Are you still a guitarist, or what happened?

The nightmare is if, after many hours getting things right in you head, fingers and in the synth, the singer bursts out: "Hey I don't want to sing this song, let's just grab another one"... 8)