Trade Off(s)

Started by pasha811, September 23, 2016, 06:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasha811

Well,

Imagine you're about to get into a live situation and you can have a GP-10 with a GK3 equipped guitar or a GT-001 and a normal guitar. What would you choose and why? Just curious.
GP-10 gives Guitar Modeling and Alternate Tunings on top of good Amp Modeling and a basic FX chain while GT-001 gives you no Guitar Modeling and Alternate Tunings but with an FX powerhouse and a potential channel switch. For the sake of comparison imagine that GT-001 would have the same number of controlling functions as GP-10 built-in pedals. Who wins? (I know depends on the venue / genre but would you trade your beloved Guitar Modeling and Alternate Tunings for a beefier FX chain, although with a Guitar without superpowers?)

Best
Pasha
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Elantric

QuoteImagine you're about to get into a live situation and you can have a GP-10 with a GK3 equipped guitar or a GT-001 and a normal guitar. What would you choose and why?

The GT-001 is a great desktop unit but fails in regards to usable foot control options at the gig

Add a MIDX-10 or MIDX-20 and a 8 button MIDI foot controller gets you there - but do the math and its probably cheaper to just get a used GT-100 and have same sounds and better foot control
- in 2016 used GT-100 sell  for $300 all the time

Its all about foot control for me. My Godin LGX-SA GK 13 pin guitar feeding one GP-10 + EV-5 Expression pedal covers a lot of ground, even with the factory GP-10 patches .
(if you want a deal - we have a GP-10 group buy )

QuoteVGuitarForums Members Only Group Buys
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=175.0

i reorder the GP-10 patch order to alternate between Lead and Rhythm types - so I can easily use patch up  / down mid song  - and often use the GP-10 built in expression pedal to pan between acoustic and Normal PU into COSM Marshall amp.

I figure only 1% of the GP-10 owners realize the power of the GP-10 factory patches that are already designed in this manner  - the external EV-5 becomes the Main Volume pedal on all patches

read the Control assignments in the GP-10 factory patch listing for the GP-10 Expression pedal functions and observe how this is a different assignment function for each GP-10 patch.

Often my electric guitar Solo is my Normal mag pickups on my LGX-SA using a slightly tweaked GP-10 factory patch #65 "MA28 Set" Acoustic Guitar patch that already has the GP-10 expression pedal "panning" between acoustic to Electric sounds and I can use the built in CTRL 1 / 2 pedals to add delay or make the acoustic into a 12 string or alternate tuning all on the same patch

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11698.0

pasha811

Thanks Elantric. I would have bet in favor of GT-001 due to better FX chain but I got the reason behind your post.
There's a lot of value in the yellow box as you pointed out!  ;D

( . )( . )

I just got my MIDX 20 yesterday...haven't had time to play with it yet. For me, the GP-10 has enough effects, if I creatively use the controller assigns (changing guitars, amps, fx within a patch). I'm planning on using my MIDI Mate along with it, but I may just get a few more FS-7s.

What I do is duplicate my two main patches every 4-5 patches. So I have main patch #1 as patch #1, main patch #2 as patch #2, followed by 3 patches as #3-5, then copy main patches 1 and 2 to patch #s 6 and 7, and keep repeating this pattern. I also set the GP-10 to a custom range that only covers the 30 total patches I use. That way, I'm never more than a few clicks away from my go to patches, and I weed out unused patches.

With my MIDI controller however, I'll be able to intantly recall whatever patches I want, and have 5 controller assign buttons per patch. It does use considerable more floor space though.

Cups

I haven't played a 001 but I had a GT-8. I loved the way it sounds but I couldn't control and switch it the way I wanted to. The GP-10 is a revelation to me. I admit though that I use effects before (just mag pickups) and sometimes after to supplement the sparse effects section of the GP. I also don't like the GP reverb.

If there was a GP-20 that added another FX block it would be close to perfect for me.

pasha811

Quote from: Cups on September 23, 2016, 08:57:06 AM
I haven't played a 001 but I had a GT-8. I loved the way it sounds but I couldn't control and switch it the way I wanted to. The GP-10 is a revelation to me. I admit though that I use effects before (just mag pickups) and sometimes after to supplement the sparse effects section of the GP. I also don't like the GP reverb.

If there was a GP-20 that added another FX block it would be close to perfect for me.

That was exactly my point. Not an owner of both GP10 or GT-001 but I had a try session with both. GP-10 lacks an additional FX block and maybe some better quality reverb would have helped even if I think it's good enough for what I need to do. Moreover the GT-001 has Tera Echo which looks promising.

Best
Pasha

( . )( . )

I also have a ME80. I'm going to see what I can manage with it combined with the GP-10 and the MIDX-20. I've been considering just using the alt tuning/guitar modeling from the GP into the 80. The problem is that the 80 only has one speaker sim. It would have been really nice if they had made the GP and 80 into one unit, with the 80's layout.

mooncaine

Quote from: Chameleon on September 23, 2016, 08:46:28 AMI also set the GP-10 to a custom range that only covers the 30 total patches I use. That way, I'm never more than a few clicks away from my go to patches....
I love that about Roland VG gear, too. Before I take my VG to a show I set it to limit my patch selection to just the range I'll need for the show. That keeps me from accidentally switching to some patch 356 full of echoing space monsters in the middle of a cover band night. Very useful feature.

slooky

Quote from: Elantric on September 23, 2016, 07:16:16 AM

Often my electric guitar Solo is my Normal mag pickups on my LGX-SA using a slightly tweaked GP-10 factory patch #65 "MA28 Set" Acoustic Guitar patch that already has the GP-10 expression pedal "panning" between acoustic to Electric sounds and I can use the built in CTRL 1 / 2 pedals to add delay or make the acoustic into a 12 string or alternate tuning all on the same patch

I am surprised you don't use your acoustic pickup on your LGX-SA

Elantric

Varies from the gig
But my electric guitar tone takes priority , and the Mag pickups allow conventional Palm muting, and I enjoy and prefer the GP-10 COSM Acoustic tones  compared  to the raw RMC piezo tone any day

mchad

Quote from: Chameleon on September 23, 2016, 09:48:25 AM
It would have been really nice if they had made the GP and 80 into one unit, with the 80's layout.

Agreed.