VG-99 Firmware 1.04 Update

Started by Elantric, January 23, 2008, 12:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicamex

i just tried to install the smf download on the vista laptop but it appears i need to have the 99 connected for me to have the option of roland as an in out device.  i checked the vg editor and it no longer had roland in the midi in and out under setup.  i don't have much experience with the editor (or librarian) and played with it a bit when i got the 99 but on a now dead xp laptop.

it would be great to get this all to eventually work on my windows 7 home laptop or studio desk top which has windows 7 pro and 12 gigs of ram.  both have much larger screens than the little hp notebook.

thanks again, i feel i will get there eventually with your help.  buenas noches.

aliensporebomb

Was there a reason you weren't using your 64-bit Windows 7 machine? 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

musicamex

i couldn't even get the editor to load on the 7/64 machine.  i kept getting incompatibility boxes when i tried to download to it even though the links said for window's 7 they led me to vista 64 downloads.  at least on the vista machine editor was communicating with the 99 back and forth.

but anyway i tried the 1.04 update using the smf reader.  it looked like it was working taking about 30 min to get through the files, but the vg99 was still 1.02 when it was done.  during the "sending" the vg99 continued to say waiting smf.  i had to chose 1 through 4 or Microsoft gs wave table on the smf dialog box.  no roland options appeared...............i will be playing in 6 hours-----------i might have to hope for the best with my 88 unless someone here has a suggestion.

one question, can i accomplish this update with just a usb cable between the computer and the vg99?

one interesting thing that happened is that all string sensitivity levels returned to 65.  i had them way backed off, so i hope it didn't change other things too.

some smart people at roland would be wise to make us non geek types (no offense--i wish i was more geek right now) a consolidated flow chart with simple "if this --do this" instructions.  i really like the quality of edirol, roland and even boss gear but the instruction manuals and post manual printed help are not up to par with the quality of the gear.  i have been at the roland booth at NAMM every year for many moons and the brains are there to bring the information for users up to (down to) mere musician levels. 

thanks for the help so far.  i should have gotten this 99 gig ready years ago but the 88 seemed like it would never fail.  my bad too.

Elantric

musicamex

THIS IS THE FIRMWARE 1.04 UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS---MY COMMENTS FOLLOW EACH STEP IN CAPS.

SYSTEM SOFTWARE UPDATING INSTRUCTIONS
VG-99
Checking the Version Number
1. Simultaneously hold down [CATEGORY] and [< PAGE] and turn on the power.
The version number is displayed on the left of bottom in the screen.
(Firm : Ver *.**) 

MINE DISPLAYS 1.02

Important Note
For version 1.03 users
...Please use the update files in the "VG99_V104_(for_V103)" folder.
For version 1.01 or 1.02 users
...Please use the update files in the "VG99_V104_(for_V101-102)" folder.
*Never use the different version's updater files.
System Update Instructions
This procedure updates the VG-99's system using a computer or other such
device to play back the MIDI data for update, which is then received by the VG-99.
Required Items
• VG-99 Update
DOWNLOADED THE UPDATE

• Computer (Windows PC/Mac OS X)
WINDOWS VISTA 32BIT

• A USB cable (USB driver required), or MIDI Cables with USB MIDI interface
DOWNLOADED  THE DRIVER

• Software Sequencer: UpdSMF.exe (Windows) or UpdSMF.app (Mac OS X)
*Please refer the readme file included in the downloaded zip file.

DOWNLOADED AND INSTALLED SMF PLAYER.

System Update Procedure
1. Connect the computer's MIDI OUT to the VG-99's MIDI IN (use an USB MIDI
interface), or Connect computer and VG-99 with a USB cable.  CHECK
2. Simultaneously hold down [<PAGE] and [CATEGORY] and turn on the power.
"SYSTEM UPDATER Please wait..." appears in the display.CHECK
3. Wait several seconds until "Waiting SMF..." is displayed.CHECK
4. Start up the application for transmitting MIDI data on the computer (e.g., UpdSMF),
and transmit the MIDI data for update.  CHECK.  THE SMF DIALOG BOX SAID SENDING AND THE PERCENTAGE BOX CLICKED TO 100% OVER 1/2 HR.  IT SAID IT HAD COMPLETED OR FINISHED AND PER INSTRYCTIONS I CLICKED EXIT.  THE 99 NEVER CHANGED FROM "WAITING SMF........" DURING THE SUPPOSED TRANSFER OR FOR 10 MORE MIN AFTERWARD.

*Never turn off the power before the display indicates"Completed" or error messages.
If you turn off the power during the update processing, the system or hardware
devices will be fatally clashed.  I AM ASSUMING THE "THE DISPLAY" AND "COMPLETED" MEAN THE SMF DISPLAY ON THE COMPUTER WHICH WAS NOT INTERUPTED.  ALSO ONE WOULD THINK "WAITING SMF" FOR 45 MIN WAS A GOOD INDICATION NOTHING WAS GETTING THROUGH.  IF I WAS SUPPOSED TO WAIT FOR ANOTHER HALF HOUR AFTER THE COMPUTER HAD BEEN DISCONNECTED, I WISH IT HAD SAID THAT SOMEWHERE.

LIKE I SAID ABOVE, SOMEWHERE DURING THE LAST 2 DAYS MY STRING SENSITIVITY LEVELS WERE RESET TO 65.
BUT THIS MORNING WAS THE FIRST TIME THE COMPUTER ACTUALLY SEEMED TO BE SENDING SOMETHING TO THE VG 99.

I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT TO DO NEXT.  I KNOW I AM SOMEWHAT CYBER CHALLENGED BUT CAN FOLLOW DIRECTIONS THAT ARE CLEAR.  I THOUGHT I DID THAT.  IF I AM TOLD "TURN", I MIGHT GO RIGHT OR LEFT.

I GUESS I MIGHT BE STUCK WITH THE FAILING 88 FOR TODAY'S GIG.  WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE IS NOW NOT THE SAME IF THE VOL LEVELS HAVE BEEN RESET.  BETTER A KNOWN PROBLEM THAN MULTIPLE SURPRISES.

PLEASE DON'T STOP HELPING.  I PAID 5 TIMES AS MUCH FOR MY 99 AND ACCESSORIES AS I DID FOR MY 88 ON EBAY YEARS AGO.  I REALLY HOPED FOR MORE AND STILL HOPE TO GET IT.  A BIT FRUSTRATED.

Brent Flash

Sorry you are having trouble, we all went through these updates back in 2008 and I am having a little trouble remembering all the details of the updates.

It sounds like the SMF player is not communicating but I can't be sure of that. I do know that if you have changed the DEVICE ID from anything but ID1 your VG will not respond to SYSEX files that were created with a device #1 which is the default DEVICE ID of the VG-99.

Not knowing what has been changed in your settings it may be a good idea to do a FACTORY RESET. You would want to back up all your GK and SYSTEM settings with the LIBRARIAN before you do this. There is a thread on how to use the LIBRARIAN here: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=822.0

Keep us posted on your progress and maybe we can help with more information from you.

musicamex

thanks again for getting back so quickly.  if my 88 started acting up back in 2008 i might be happy as a clam right now without nearly as much to learn.  ;)  i'm just about to get ready for my gig and put the 88 in the kit, for better or worse. 

when you refer to DEVICE ID are you refering to something in the smf program?  (now you know i am from the chuck berry era)  i did select microsoft gs synth where it had 1,2,3,4 or ms gs synth to chose from in the smf window.  otherwise, i wouldn't have even known where to change DEVICE ID.
the smf reader sure seemed to think it was sending something.  it ground away till it hit 100% and said it had finished.  wouldn't you think a program like that would have to detect a connection before even starting?

if i need to do a factory reset i will.  but i will wait until tomorrow to read any other suggestions.  other than changing some of the patches into new positions and tweaking them i really have only tried to update the 99. it has more time on it adjusting it than using it to perform.  i guess i can save the patches i updated or just start over from scratch if the unit is actually going to be usable for slide like the 88 was.  maybe there are some better patches out there but most of the 99 patches are not suited very well to my live work without tweaking imho.  many seem aggressive and tend not to cut through the mix.   maybe the 88 was like that when i got it too but that is pushing 8 years ago.

bottom line, also imho, is that roland falls far short of the mark in clear organized and consolidated instructions  they seem to leave allot to users and forums like this to solve issues with their equipment.  judging from the amount of material on the web regarding this and other related pieces to makee the 1.04 update possible i am far from the only person having to figure out if "turn" means right or left.  it is so out of character with their build quality (don't know about the 99 yet) and the people i meet at NAMM every show.

i suppose i might have to discard all of files on my computer too and start from scratch.
cross your fingers for me and the 88 tonight---no reboots during solos please---thanks

drjoness2001

i'm using ghost sattles (graphtech) and the hexpander and acoustaphonic.  used it on a few other guitars too and all have been pretty trouble free.

You mentioned that you were having some problems with the VG-99 that you did not have with the VG-88. It could be the ghost (graphtech) system.

The input filters are different on the VG-99 from the VG-88. An identical patch on the VG-99 may have problems you did not have with the VG-88.

It could be the problems you are experiencing are related to the high-pass filters which allow non-musical LF information to confuse the processor. The solution may be the RMC VG-99 V(SF input filter option, which greatly improves the sound and tracking for players using piezo systems.

Wayne

Brent Flash

Quote from:  musicamex on November 27, 2011, 02:56:57 PM
when you refer to DEVICE ID are you refering to something in the smf program?
No, in the VG-99 MIDI SETUP.
Quote from:  musicamex on November 27, 2011, 02:56:57 PM
the smf reader sure seemed to think it was sending something.  it ground away till it hit 100% and said it had finished.  wouldn't you think a program like that would have to detect a connection before even starting?
It was sending and does not need to handshake another device to send. In fact MIDI communication is not dependent on anything being on the other end of the cable. But you do have to have certain things set up properly before the communication will happen. MIDI SYSEX messages are dependent on DEVICE ID and all other control messages are dependent on MIDI channel#.

acousticglue

Elantric

Suggest take your VG-99 to your local Roland Dealer and have them perform the upgrade.

musicamex

thanks for the feedback.
i am a long way from a roland dealer and from a place i could find the rmc filter.  i won't be until the end of jan for the NAMM show, but if you know customs going south i would be importing the 99 again if i took it out or did allot of paperwork first.  things also have a way of permanently staying in customs or disappearing in shipping so i only hand carry gear south now.  i think i am stuck with solving this issue here.

i had a long night (the 88 never blinked once last night and performed flawlessly).  also have a guitar to setup and change all pots on so i won't get back to this till later.  i am going to find a way to the end of this one way or another like anyone else with a computer and a vg99 does.  the roland has less than 20 total hours on it, always through  proper voltage regulation and spike protection.  my computers are all of excellent quality.  i have never had to go to the manufacturer to update anything.  i want to and will win at this.

could someone answer a few questions?

if all of the string sensitivity settings went back to 65 after i had set them lower previously, and i did not do a factory reset, something sent from my computer caused the reset, correct?  that had to be midi?

does the vg99 screen change from WAITING SMF during or after the 1.04 update?  if so what should i look for how long should i wait after the smf reader on the computer hits finish and exit does it take the vg99 to display something other than WAITING SMF?

has anyone has luck with the graphtech piezo setting on the 1.04 firmware update?  since so many of us are using piezo pickups for hex guitar now i am surprised roland took a step away from what they had in the 88 that requires an aftermarket rmc filter to make it right.  maybe so we all bought the GK pickup? 

thanks, off to the bench.

Elantric

This is the VG-99 Firmware Upgrade procedure:

Follow it step by step to the letter with no deviations.
====
VG-99 1.04 Update Instructions - (MS WINXP/VISTA32) Jan 11, 2008.
Prior to updating, Its best to establish your VG-99 is fully functional with the VG-99 Editor on your
computing platform of choice. This involves installing the latest VG-99 USB Driver,

*VG-99 USB Driver for Win7 64
http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=VG-99&id=18211162

*VG-99 USB Driver for Win7 32
http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=VG-99&id=26971088

*VG-99 USB Driver for Vista 32
http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=VG-99&id=26971087

*VG-99 USB Driver for Vista 64
http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=VG-99&id=22238464

*VG-99 USB Driver for Win XP
http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=VG-99&id=26971086

and VG-99 Editor Librarian from here:
http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=VG-99&id=1812339

You may ONLY proceed with the Firmware Update after you have established that your VG-99
successfully connects and functions with the VG-99 Editor software and the Roland VG-99 USB Driver and a USB Cable .

VG-99 Firmware version verification step
========================
1) Disconnect all cables from the VG-99.
2) Connect power cable
3) With power off, Hold down both [CATEGORY] and [<PAGE] buttons while powering up the
VG-99.
4) Note what Firmware version you currently have, its on VG-99 LCD Display the left under Boot: 1.00
Example
BOOT: 1.00
FIRM: 1.02
If you have Firmware 1.01 THRU 1.03 – use this download link:
http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?iCncd=2179&ln=en&SearchBy=RcId&dst=P&iRcId=0000022621&dsp=1

The downloaded "VG99_V104.zip" includes two different folders. Please refer the "VG-99_UpdateV104.pdf" for the detail and the update procedure.
5) Unzip the VG-99 Update into its own Folder - observe the Path where it is located on your hard
drive!
6) Verify you have the correct corresponding target firmware for your VG-99 version, before
proceeding further!!
7) If you run Windows - you can follow my instructions as follows:
I did the update with just a WinXP Laptop and a USB cable.
I used Roland PC SMF UPDATER: (SMFPLAYR) utility.
Found here:
http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?PRODUCT=BR-1600CD_V2&iRcId=1812766&dsp=1
Download unzip and place SMF_Player on the desktop.
8 ) VG-99 UPDATE PROCEDURE
========================
1) Connect power cable
2) Verify that you have a working VG-99 USB Driver for your Operating System (see above about verifying the VG-99 Editor runs, BEFORE PROCEEDING) , and Connect USB Cable
3) With VG-99 power off, hold down both [CATEGORY] and [<PAGE] buttons and then power
"On".
9) The VG-99 LCD Display will say:
"SYSTEM UPDATER Please Wait"
Soon it reads:
"SYSTEM UPDATER Waiting SMF"
10) Launch SMF Player - then define the MIDI Output Device to be "VG-99 CONTROL"
* Note if "VG-99 Control" is not available as a MIDI Output Device in SMF Player, then you do not have the VG-99 USB Driver installed correctly - go back to the top of this post and restart the upgrade procedure !)
11) Set SMF path to browse the Firmware 1.04 path directory where you
unzipped the VG-99 Update MIDI files.
12)Click "SCAN SMF" icon. The vg99_00x.mid files will be listed in numerical order, lowest to
highest.
13)Click "Send" and observe the LCD display will read:
"SYSTEM UPDATER Now Receiving"
14) Wait 30 minutes, as each MIDI file is downloaded into your VG-99.
15) Upon completion of all file downloads - the VG-99 LCD Display will read:
"SYSTEM UPDATER Writing"
16) When the VG-99  LCD Display says "Completed" - you may power
cycle the VG-99.
17) DONE!! Restart your VG-99, and verify it works
18) If your VG-99 does not boot up properly, repeat above steps.
19) If your VG-99 still does not function, substitute a MIDI interface with 5-pin DIN connection
instead of a USB cable

Log in here and download the official Roland VG-99 Firmware upgrade instructions below, for more advice:

musicamex

thank you elantric!!

this is about as complete and step by step as it can get.  it answers allot of questions especially starting with 13 under smf part.  the vg99 never changed on the lcd display from WAITING SMF.  so i think when i finish my bench work for the day i will save my modified patches, do a factory reset, chuck all of the recently downloaded roland files (except save editor and librarian now only on the vista 32 machine ). and go down the list again step by step.  i think all was ok on the computer as it all checked through the smf sending and finishing.  now that i understand midi doesn't need a "handshake" the problem seems to be that the 99 didn't get what the computer was sending.  except i am puzzled at how the string sensitivities were all reset to 65.

as long as the 88 knows if it continues to work again it won't wind up on a shelf i have time to make the 99 work right so the next time it goes to a gig it will sound like i hope it can.

also if i can make this work on the 7/64 machine i will be happy as it isn't a tiny notebook like the vista 32 machine.  old eyes like big screens.

brent, i checked the user id now that i know where it is and it is set to 1.  midi is on channel 7.  omni mode is on.
on the next page2, midi routing in is main and out is main.  on page 3 usb midi in is main and midi out is main.
i had no reason to get into the midi pages on the 99 so they should all be as i got them.

thanks allot guys.  pardon my impatience but i usually leave for gigs rested and less frazzled than i was last night.  i feel i will get this right with your help.

are some of the responders here from roland?  just curious.  if not you are a very helpful dedicated group of aficionados.

Elantric

Sorry, No Roland Folks here  - (sadly) just non paid volunteers.

If it were me, and I still had a WinXP machine around - I would use that as first choice to launch Roland SMF Player app and perform the VG-99 update.

Sounds like you are having more luck with your Vista 32 machine.

The big issues -

* Be sure you have a correctly installed VG-99 USB Driver  - before attempting the firmware 1.04 update!
* Be sure you are using the correct set of V1.04 firmware files. there are separate version V1.04 update files, depending on what firmware is currently installed on your VG-99.
READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!! take a break and then re-read the instructions.
* By default the SMF player will attempt to load all the files automatically in sequence. Be sure to manually load the SMF MID upgrade files into the VG-99,  ONE AT A TIME!

Also the RMC VG-99 Input Filter board (which most Piezo pickup guitar owners recommend installing) is available ONLY directly from RMC Pickups

http://www.rmcpickup.com/

musicamex

thanks for these important tips.  the first two i am pretty confident i did properly, but i absolutely didn't try to send the smf files one at a time to the 99.  really?  all 33?  now i do feel like i am back in the tube era building one solder joint at a time.  i did the smf transfer just like in step 13 on what you previously sent.  thanks for telling me to do it one at a time as it wasn't in the instructions included in your last post.

i do have an old toshiba xp media player laptop (those short lived 17 inch 9 pounders you could heat your den or jump start a toyoya with) but it got quirky about 4 laptops ago.  toward the end it would freeze up (i think it got too hot) despite reinstalling windows and starting over clean.  so i wouldn't trust it for something this critical.  i do fire it up on occasion since i have some old software and much less complicated gear that have obsolete drivers. (my midi hubble usb interface and a bunch of old terratec (the axon people) gear for example.)  i would really like to get the studio desktop working with the editor /librarian etcc but it is 7 pro with 64 bit.  very powerful with a good sound card and video card.  i also have a couple of macs (that looked like big mac boxes) but also haven't used them in several years. 

as clutsy as i feel doing this update i go back to the 128 k mac days.  my first hd was 40 megs and was 3 inches thick and about 8x8.  sounded like a cuisinart.  people drove miles just to see it. (wish i had the magnets out of it). i guess i keep buying but don't "keep up" with understanding.

i think i need a night off so i will probably look for a movie and chill with mama.  back to the vg99 and rewire of a 3 humbucker les paul tomorrow.  had to remove the pots just to get the 3 way switch out.  grrr. might as well fix it right. 

thanks again.  i wish i could do something to repay all of your kind responses and help with this.  like i said i intend to chew this bone till it's gone.

musicamex

hi all, hope you all had a great holiday season.  mine was busy and even though it is always fun, it is good to be back to normal crazy again.

i just wanted to update everyone that helped here on the final outcome of trying to update the firmware to 1.04 on the vg 99.  i have used the old 88 and just lived with the strange rebooting fits it has had for a couple of months now.  i finally lost all of my old patches on the 88 when an amigo got his hands on the memory battery while i looked to see if i had a spare.  i couldn't find the backup files and decided to win at the vg99 update and spend my time editing patches with the much easier 99 format.  going back to zero with the 88, my new year's gig was rough.  the band was giving me the wtf looks for both blank spots and for the array of new (old untweaked ) patches.  i realized how few of the old out of the box 88 patches fit my style and gigs as they came.  after 8 years of tweaking they were very far from where they started, and unfortunatly far from easy to rewrite.   i use several custom open and alternate tunings i had to remember and re think the day of the NYE gig to get the old beast to a fraction of where it had been.  it was an excellent lesson for me not to become too dependent on any part of my kit and to always have plans B, C and D on tap at all times.  back to basics worked well for part of the night, and it was fun----

today i finally got the 99 updated but it took the tips and hints from everyone, especially elantric to make it happen.  i gave up on the windows 7/64 laptop machine all together.  after finally getting the driver and editor installed and communicating well the machine "blue screened" and locked up the next morning and i had to do a system restore..  i tried once more---same thing, so i went back to the vista 32 machine.  the 99 was not putting out anything but a high pitched squeal when any patch was played, so i did,as suggested a complete factory reset.  everything went down just as in the step by step lists elantric posted here.  after getting the SMF files installed, one at a time the 99 said completed, i turned it off and then on again.  my heart sank as the very first screen (before the copyright paragraph screen normally came on) just blinked on and off about every 2 seconds. i had visions of pulling one of the new in box 99s i had to resell out of the box, using it as is and just waiting with the now seemingly locked 99 as is till i went to NAMM.   i couldn't get the 99 to do ANYTHING at all and since the only factory reset was through the system button path and that didn't respond, i turned it off and did the <page+category+on button.  luckily it went back to the smt waiting page again.  this time i retried the smt install with all 33 files as a group.  it worked, and happily the 99 came back to life.  a cursory check led me to believe the unit had come back to life updated.  i had the several new choices  under pickup type so i could use the graphtech option.  at that point i left the studio with hope and ready for dinner (3 hours late).  i accept the blame for likely doing some little thing wrong and having literally memorized the process, all of the pegs finally wound up in the right holes in the right sequence.  nothing i have ever done on a computer has had me this frustrated.  i actually did a complex repair and recalibration of a perkin elmer atomic absorption spectrophotometer, the first time, with a set of instructions

tomorrow i will write or modify some patches for the 4 gigs between tomorrow and sunday night.  the editor should really help that and i will have a chance to become more familiar with it.  BUT PLEASE, ROLAND, IF YOU READ THIS, TAKE THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT YOU PRODUCE AND SUPPLY YOUR CUSTOMERS WITH EASY UPGRADES AND SUPPORT WORTHY OF THE PRODUCTS YOU BUILD.  IDEALLY WE ALL WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A PRODUCT ROLAND WITH A USB INTERFACE CONNECTED TO A COMPUTER AND HAVE YOUR SITE DETERMINE WHAT IS NEEDED AND SUGGEST THE INSTALLATION BEST FOR THE UNIT.  THAT IS WHAT WE ALL ARE USED TO IN THIS COMPUTER AGE.  IT IS JUST PLAIN SIMPLE GOOD BUSINESS TO MAKE YOUR PRODUCTS FUNCTION THEIR BEST WITHOUT TAKING THE UNPAID SUPPORT OF UNPAID GREAT GUYS LIKE THERE ARE ON V-GUITAR AND OTHER SITES.

i hope i get many years out of my vg99 and that virtual guitar continues to grow and evolve like it has over the past decade.

thanks again for all of the help.  this site is a great source of information and inspiration.

aliensporebomb

Wow - you really had a serious battle with upgrading that 99!  Congratulations to making it to 1.04!

Now you can start downloading patches people have made and see what this box is really all about!

Welcome!

;D

musicamex

locked, loaded and ready for 1.05!!!  i will start playing with some more patches today.  the ones i tweaked yesterday in the studio don't cut through the mix at a gig.

levous

whew!  what a struggle.  I thought I'd leave a tip for anyone following me on this adventure.  I thought I'd update my VG99 to the latest to see if midi tracking improves and..  bricked it.

I'm on a Mac.  I used the "SMF Player" from Roland's support downloads page https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/vg-99/updates_drivers/ and connected via USB.  I do not have a midi interface for my Mac so I could not try using a midi cable.  After checking my current firmware version (1.01), I loaded the files vg99_v104_for102 as instructed.  They did not list in the"SMF Player" in order.   Considering they are numbered carefully, this seemed important?  After the update finished and the vg99 showed "Completed", I turned it off and on.  The Roland logo would appear and then flash every couple seconds but never boot.  I tried repeating the update a half dozen times.  At one point, I unplugged all cables, including power, and then turned the unit power switch on, hoping maybe I'd clear out some latent RAM in the ancient box.  After that the logo appeared and did not flash but still no boot.  I confirmed (power on with category and page left pressed) the the firm still showed 1.01.  I finally loaded the midi files from vg99_v104_for102 one at a time.  To do this, I copied the file next in sequence to a second directory and pointed the "SMF Player" at that directory.  I'd then send that file and queue up the next file in the directory, deleting the previous file.  One.at.a.time.  I took a mere 3 hours while i watched disney movies with my daughter and attempted to strip her old hair dye (Vitamin C and dandruff shampoo worked best for that, I'm a renaissance man). 

About 5 files from the end, I felt optimistic.  I wrote "It Worked!" on my whiteboard to manifest the future reality I desired.  Folks, if you've been fighting this thing for 2 days, prayer; magic; superstition;  whatever it takes!

That last file "vg99_065.mid" is smaller and proceeds 32 files in sequential numbers so me thinks it contains some finalization instructions.  So whether it was writing on my whiteboard, crossing my fingers or what?  I do no know.  But "It Worked!"  ...and now I get to write that here.

Good luck to you.  I would recommend, if you are following in my footsteps and it's not working for you, try this first.
Copy  the first 32 sequentially numbered files to a separate directory and batch send via the "SMF Player" but do NOT include the last one.  Then copy only the "vg99_065.mid" file to a directory and send that one following completion of the other 32.  I'll bet that will work.

If it doesn't, mentally prepare for a careful, tedious, one file at a time procedure.  That's what worked for me. 

aliensporebomb

If I'm reading this properly just know you should only do this with a USB cable connected directly to the USB port of your computer - no intermediary USB interfaces and do not use a midi interface - utterly pointless since the USB port on the VG-99 to the computer is your audio/data interface.

My recommendation for easiest upgrading: a Mac running Mojave (not Catalina or Big Sur, that won't really work). 

That being said, my VG-99 has been at 1.04 for years and that's where it's going to stay - they never did anything beyond that of course.  But, with 1.04 there is PLENTY you can do with a VG-99.
More than plenty! 

admin

I doubt you bricked the VG-99

Should be able to perform the update -but not with any macOS version past 4 years - due to the added security on later macOS since Yosemite

And if you use SMF PLAYER-never use the AUTO LOAD function

Must manually install each smf file one at a time in sequence

And read all instructions

levous

Thanks for the responses.

I got it working.  My post explains what I had to do to make the update work.  It did not work as documented and I believe it is because Roland's software is flawed.  I had to update the midi files one at a time.  The files do not sort in order in the SMF Player so the last file loads out of sequence and finalizes before it's done.  So no compatibility issues with Mac.  I'm running High Sierra 10.13 but I expect it will work with newer MacOS.  The security obstacle is easily overcome.  When you attempt to install software, drivers, etc - it will block.  Go to System Preferences > Security and tap the "Open Anyway" where the notice explains that software was from an unidentified developer.

It's all updated now and the VG99 is working great.  The sounds through the device are perfect.

Getting MIDI set up now.  Setting GTK sensitivity down  to 5 is critical.  Way too hot by default.  Go here for tips on MIDI set up https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2970.0

admin

Quote from: levous on January 23, 2021, 08:14:41 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I got it working.  My post explains what I had to do to make the update work.  It did not work as documented and I believe it is because Roland's software is flawed.  I had to update the midi files one at a time.  The files do not sort in order in the SMF Player so the last file loads out of sequence and finalizes before it's done.  So no compatibility issues with Mac.  I'm running High Sierra 10.13 but I expect it will work with newer MacOS.  The security obstacle is easily overcome.  When you attempt to install software, drivers, etc - it will block.  Go to System Preferences > Security and tap the "Open Anyway" where the notice explains that software was from an unidentified developer.

It's all updated now and the VG99 is working great.  The sounds through the device are perfect.

Getting MIDI set up now.  Setting GTK sensitivity down  to 5 is critical.  Way too hot by default.  Go here for tips on MIDI set up https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2970.0

^ yes common flaw with Roland SMF Player

Must manually load each SMF file one at a time -verify no checksum errors between each file load

The default Roland SMF Player Autoloader will always result in an error and non-functional unit. (This was the principal method users bricked their VG-88)

Glad you figured it out