GK-3's noise behavior

Started by compusic, January 03, 2016, 08:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

compusic

Hi, I know little about electrics.  And I just got a GR-55 and  a GK-3 recently.

I just found a noise problem. As for GK-3 itself, it's quite quiet, I mean the modelled tones are noise-free, even for high gain guitar patches. The noise suppression setting can be very very low, even off is practical. And I always use modelled guitar tones, that means I don't connect my guitar's normal output to GK-3, and the GK/Guitar switch is always at the GK position.

But I just discovered that when I rest my hand on my guitar's bridge for palm muting technique, my hand also gets in touch with GK-3's hex pickups, now noise occurs, just like a normal guitar being heavily overdriven without any noise suppression (here I'm still using modelled guitar tones only).  The noise is obvious when using high gain effects, almost unnoticeable when using low gain settings.

I don't know if it's due to ground or something else, but I decided to try connecting my guitar's normal output to GK-3.
As soon as I connected the cable, the noise disappeared.

Well, though I can leave the cable in place while using only modelled guitar tones, I still want to know  the reason for the  noise, and any other solutions are also welcomed, then I can take one less cable.

Thanks in advance.

shawnb

Yes, this is normal.   You want that short cable connecting the mag pup output to the GK.   Otherwise, your guitar isn't grounded properly.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

compusic

Thanks for reply.

A little strange that it's contrary to my previous experience.

Before, if I touched any metal part of my guitar with my finger or hand, the noise would disappear or would be reduced quite a lot. wouldn't it be grounded if I touch the pickup? Difficult for me to understand.

mmmmgtr

Without getting into the nitty  gritty details,  this is basically what happens...

When you touch an ungrounded pick up, you are essentially introducing a noise source into what is the microphone, or receiving unit that feeds into your amp. You don't experience this with your normal guitar pickups because they are always grounded. If you were to lift the ground on those pickups and then touch those pickups you would have a similar issue.  Although you are a ground, you are not an ideal ground and therefore will generate some noise. This is as opposed to touching something like the strings or the bridge of the guitar that isn't already grounded. They are the noise source being picked up by the receiver, or pick up. When you touch them you are grounding them therefore reducing the noise they generate to be picked up by the receiver.

shawnb

Your normal 1/4" jack contains a ground.  If it's not connected, you're not grounded, and subject to noise.   If you touch it, you typically ground it yourself.   

This will vary depending on your surroundings.  It will be much worse near fluorescent lights & computer monitors - especially tubes.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

compusic

thank both of you, mmmmgtr and shawnb.

I kind of got it. Thanks.

Elantric

If you take time to read the GK-3 instructions it mentions lower noise when the short cable is connected to your guitar -due to grounding the the guitar  and its strings to the GK-3 13 pin cable connection to GK Processor.

compusic

Quote from: Elantric on January 04, 2016, 08:06:52 AM
If you take time to read the GK-3 instructions it mentions lower noise when the short cable is connected to your guitar -due to grounding the the guitar  and its strings to the GK-3 13 pin cable connection to GK Processor.

Thanks for pointing out that. I just got my gears for only a few days and was very eager to try. So I went through the manual in a hurry. Now I have noticed those words in the manual. Thanks.