GR-55 patches with lowest latency

Started by Elantric, October 24, 2014, 08:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

QuoteOverall, I like it. But I am not sure what is causing such latency. By that, I mean, I hit a string or note on the GK equipped instrument, and there is a very noticeable lag time before the PCM sound is produced. It's very obvious with some PCM stuff, less so with others. I also know it comes down to picking technique, etc.

This its true for all GR-55 users:

The GR-55 Tone engine latency ( lowest to highest ) will always be:

1 ) COSM "MODELING TONE" Patch  = Lowest latency ( and should be similar latency as the Guitar modeling tones on a Tyler JTV Variax)

2) Guitar to PCM TONE patch = higher latency, as the internal DSP must correlate your picking dynamics to a suitable dynamic response curve and determine the correct pitch to trigger the internal PCM Audio Samples. 

3) Guitar to External MIDI Module patch = highest latency

Many GR-55 patches employ a combination of COSM and PCM, which helps mask the higher latency response of the Guitar to PCM triggering. 

and explains the popularity of VG-8, VG-88, VG-99 and GP-10 among many folks, as those devices use 100% low latency COSM processing for all their internal sounds.

Refer to the GR-55 Factory Patch List:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2953.0;attach=2845

To test the Lowest latency COSM MODELING TONE  GR-55 Factory Patches, press the appropriate LEAD, RHYTHM preset button, then spin the data wheel to select these patches which do not use PCM:

LEAD 01-3  GR-300 Ctl:+1Oct
LEAD 05-3  WAVE SYNTH SOLO
LEAD 09-2  Pdl Bend Guitar
LEAD 09-3  POLY DISTOTION
LEAD 17-2  Comfortable Solo

RHYTHM 05-2  ST + TWEED
RHYTHM 05-3  LP + STACK
RHYTHM 06-2  Jazz Guitar
RHYTHM 11-1 Electric 12str
RHYTHM 11-2 AC->12stAC(CTL)
RHYTHM 11-3 Nylon String Gtr
RHYTHM 12-1 Pedal Wah
RHYTHM 12-2 Stolling Rones ( note the Low E string is intentionally muted)
RHYTHM 12-3 Flat Tuned Drive