GR-55 - Modeling Assigns midi cc

Started by webguitar, August 18, 2014, 05:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webguitar

Hello,
i can't find on forum (i'm sure i've read it some times ago) midi cc value to select via external controller each modeling tone.
I remember each modeling tone number had a range cc value (example nylone cc range 32-44) to select it, but i can't find.

Someone can help me?

Thanks,
Stefano

mbenigni

Hey Stefano,

I don't think this is exactly true.  First of all, we need to clarify whether you're looking for "modeling tones" or "PCM voices".  (The GR55 only has one Nylon COSM model, with a few parameters, vs. a range of PCM nylon MIDI guitars.)

To change COSM model selections, you'd need a controller that can send SysEx messages.  For instance, the following SysEx strings will select COSM Electric Guitars, then a Les Paul:

0xf0 0x41 0x10 0x00 0x00 0x53 0x12 0x18 0x00 0x10 0x00 0x00 0x00 0xF7
0xf0 0x41 0x10 0x00 0x00 0x53 0x12 0x18 0x00 0x10 0x01 4 0x00 0xF7

To change PCM voices, you send something like the following.  (This example selects "Stage Piano".)

0xf0 0x41 0x10 0x00 0x00 0x53 0x12 0x18 0x00 0x20 0x00 0x58 0x00 6 0x00 0xF7

So it's not as simple as just mapping a CC number, unfortunately.  If you think you want to dive in anyway, let me know and I'll point you in the direction of more information.

Elantric

Read

GR-55 Control Assignments.
www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10677.0

Which shows how to do what you want without sysex.

whippinpost91850

Mark, Because of this, I'm thinkin of making remote pedals to use with my Gr55, I'm building a pre-wired Kemper-GR55- CLR rolling unit for my live rig. I'm looking into building a new light weight case for the GR55 with the pedals and switches removed. Since I don't use the GR's tuner or looper, I'm gonna eliminate those buttons from the remote.
I was waiting for the KPA pedal, but have decided to repackage my FCB1010 into a lightweight package as well with the remote GR pedals on board.

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on August 18, 2014, 07:22:52 AM
Read

GR-55 Control Assignments.
www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10677.0

Which shows how to do what you want without sysex.

Oh right - sorry for the misinformation above.  The Assign target "Modeling Tone" can also be used with a CC# as input.  Much easier.

mbenigni

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on August 18, 2014, 07:29:30 AM
Mark, Because of this, I'm thinkin of making remote pedals to use with my Gr55, I'm building a pre-wired Kemper-GR55- CLR rolling unit for my live rig. I'm looking into building a new light weight case for the GR55 with the pedals and switches removed. Since I don't use the GR's tuner or looper, I'm gonna eliminate those buttons from the remote.
I was waiting for the KPA pedal, but have decided to repackage my FCB1010 into a lightweight package as well with the remote GR pedals on board.

Sounds like a great rig!

Great minds think alike. ;)  I've been thinking of stripping the patch change pedals off of my GR-55, too, and using that real estate for something useful.  My first approach was to pull the main board and LCD out of the GR55 and use just those, but the system isn't stable in absence of the larger control board, and I don't know what connections/voltages are required to fix the problem.  So if I can (preferably reversibly) remove the mechanical patch switches and other buttons I never use, I can mount something else on top - either an analog pedal board or MIDI footswitches.  I'd keep the CTL footswitch and Exp. pedal as these are genuinely useful.  I really wish Roland had some provisions in the GR55 f/w to allow the patch change buttons to be repurposed, for Assigns or whatever.

whippinpost91850

yeah, I forgot about that also, I'll look into it before I do too much modifying

whippinpost91850

I'd keep the CTL footswitch and Exp. pedal as these are genuinely useful.  I really wish Roland had some provisions in the GR55 f/w to allow the patch change buttons to be repurposed, for Assigns or whatever.

Mark, That would be most advantagous.

I had my GR55 out yesterday for the first time in a couple of months ( recent fillin gigs didn't require it) And forgot just how heavy it was.  So for my purpose I'm looking at a total weight factor, cause I'm old and want this rig to be as light as possible I'm using a small mag dolly for the wheel portion. My CLR is the lightweight NEO version, which I love

mbenigni

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on August 18, 2014, 08:36:53 AM
I had my GR55 out yesterday for the first time in a couple of months ( recent fillin gigs didn't require it) And forgot just how heavy it was.

It is a brick, for sure.  I don't know why a few extra pounds should bother me, but it does - especially when I'm trying to move it from floor to desk and back, and I have to make room for it without tangling up cables, damaging other equipment, etc... smaller is always better.  The GP-10 is a big improvement in this regard, because of the decrease in weight, and the decrease in width (less leverage to fight when you grab it with one hand.)  I repost this link every so often so it's likely you've already seen it - my ideal GR55:  https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8990.msg66086#msg66086

Really curious about those Neo CLRs.  But I'm afraid I'd like it, and then I'd have to scare up the money LOL.

whippinpost91850

Really curious about those Neo CLRs.  But I'm afraid I'd like it, and then I'd have to scare up the money LOL.

Super light, super loud, and super accurate

vablows

I have the exact same rig, Kemper-GR-55-CLR.

I am curious how you guys are doing this so I will be watching.

I have just been using the GR-55 as my floor board, but it is so limited that I am trying to figure out how to go with the FCB1010 instead.

But I have the lunchbox Kemper, and use a bag I found that can carry both Kemper and GR-55 in it very tightly but may go to a rack soon.

webguitar

Thanks for all your replies  :)

I finally found the topic i was looking for in Tutorials

Subprogramming the Roland GR-55 with Behringer FCB1010
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7407

the part i was searching is

So, now we've managed to have 5 different sounds on pedals 1 to 5, now lets add the COSM guitar switch..
Go to edit -> master -> assign -> 6
                   switch         on
                   target         model tone number
                   target min   01 CLA-ST
                   target max  23 BRASS
                   source        CC30              -->Pedals 6 to 10 send this CC
                   act range lo 1                   --> these 2 entries make is possible to enter the tonenumber in
                   act range hi 23                 --> the FCB1010

This way, in my assign cc2 value 1 is classic strat, value 2 modern strat and so on.

I've made an assign to switch on the upper row of a fcb1010 unochip five type of guitar: nylon, steel, classic strat, les paul and es335

Some screenshots are simpler than words  ;D

Preset 001-005 on fcb1010 unochip are set on cc2 value 12,11,1,5,9 (nylon, steel, classic strat, les paul, es335, number are set by gr55 assign)

You have not to toggle between two values

Important: in the assign setup you have to set the control to moment otherwise (toggle) it will not function (at least in my test)

Stefano