Zivix Jamstik - Portable MIDI Guitar

Started by Elantric, January 08, 2013, 07:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/08/the-zivix-jamstik-is-an-absolutely-amazing-portable-midi-guitar-for-beginners-and-pros/
Not due to arrive until 2013 third Quarter - $249-$299

The Zivix Jamstik Is An Absolutely Amazing Portable MIDI Guitar For Beginners And Pros
by John Biggs

The surprisingly small and light Jamstik is, in short, one of the coolest things I've seen at CES Today. It is a MIDI guitar that is actually a musical controller. By playing and plucking the strings you can play music using synthesized sounds and it recognizes chords, notes, and nuances including bends and hammers.

"The end result is fast, accurate and cost effective to make," said Chad Koehler, Zivix VP. The device connects to a PC or tablet and you can play it just like a regular guitar. To go up the neck you simply slap a button on the body to play higher notes.

"Our goal is to provide a platform for making music more meaningful, accessible and fun for the masses. While the Jamstik is instantly compatible with Garage Band and hundreds of other core-midi applications, we are developing apps for teaching, interactive Tab and a fun music re-mix experience," said Koehler. The Jamstik uses IR sensors to see your fingers as you press the strings so you never have to tune the guitar and it can notify you before you tap the wrong notes. It's a great teaching tool and a fun portable music maker.

We got the chance to sit down with the Zivix team and talk about their creation. The plan is to gain distributors here at CES and launch the product this summer. While it's not as "guitar-like" as the similar GTar, it's definitely an amazing addition to the world of musical gadgets.

http://www.zivix.net/index.php/2011/11/welcome/

Zivix is a software developer, publisher and technology company focused on music, entertainment and patented peripheral products. We are pioneering compelling products within music gaming, edutainment software and upcoming casual games across multiple platforms including mobile, PC, Wii, Playstation and Xbox.
Zivix

Based in downtown Minneapolis, Zivix has developed a multi-patented fingertip-sensing technology for use in real instruments and peripheral devices. Our technology provides the Next-Gen bridge for accessible musical interaction through learning, entertainment and gaming opportunities.

We have created a real guitar and a mobile peripheral device that can "see your fingers" in real time on mobile tablets, smartphones, and Pc and Mac computers. We can teach and entertain with our companion software.

Our devices work with Garage Band in a more tactile manner and any core midi applications. It's time to bring a string instrument into the digital age.

FEATURES:

• Virtually no latency
• Chord & Fret recognition
• Precise, Fast, Efficient
• Multiple notes on one string
• String bend specialized musical nuancer

For music fans that want to get started, go further and have more fun with music-based apps. Not age-defined, but ability-defined.
Market research was clear: Consumers want something that:

• Easily creates and manipulates music
• Provides the opportunity to learn on their own and at their own pace
• Serves as a practice resource when unable to use their actual instrument
• Could be used to combine gaming and music
Our app support & general compatibility:

• This seamless integration with Zivix's educational JamTutor® app means you can get started learning real guitar skills immediately
• The Zivix JamBox® remix app lets you play and remix songs in real time
• You're not limited to guitar sounds. Guitar-like interaction to any iOS Core MIDI app (hundreds of synth/sampler/sequencing apps) lets you create the sound of virtually any instrument
• Connects as paired Wi-Fi peripheral directly to iOS devices
• Give the iOS GarageBand® a new take: fret, pick, and strum GarageBand® "Smart Instruments" like real guitars
Freedom

Learn, practice and create music when, where, and how you want like no other device
Accuracy

Detects precise variations of finger movements so it knows exactly where your fingers are and can recognize notes, chords and other nuances like vibrato and even string bend
Speed

Optical method allows for high-speed scan of all sensor positions with virtually no latency; it knows where your fingers are before you pluck a screen
Precision

Understands finger resting or depressed; distinguishes between slightly muted and fully depressed
Versatility

Allows for more than one note on a string

Orren Merton

pedwards2932

Not sure it they would run into a problem with the name there is a drum program called Jamstix.   Looks kind of small to me........

thebrushwithin

If this functions as well as a You Rock, I would probably try to find a way to turn it into the second neck, of a double neck guitar, by coming up with a cradle type holder that could attach to the upper strap button. Thanks for the info!

Elantric

Demo of Zivix Jamstik

My 2 cents  - in the video above you can easily hear the pick hitting the strings, with around a 60-80  millisecond latency before you hear any sound emerge.

Id classify this as more of  toy and conversation piece  - and not a tool.

Elantric

JAMSTIK MIDI GUITAR CONTROLLER FOR IOS/MAC Back
By Ara Ajizian | October 24, 2014
There's no shortage of devices out there to interface with your iOS devices for creating music. And that's a good thing, because this whole mobile thing is going to be around for a while, and the devices and apps that fuel our creativity will only get better and better. New to the game is the Jamstik, which bills itself as "The Guitar for your iPad." It's a unique guitar MIDI controller that employs real strings, real frets and the ability to optimize it to the way you play for a more authentic playing experience. It has a lot more going for it too, so let's dive in and check it out.
jamstik midi guitar controller
The Jamstik's five-fret neck and real strings offer authentic guitar feel

What You Need To Know

Getting started with the Jamstik and your iOS device is a hassle- and cable-free process. That's right, this baby's all wireless. Once fired up, the Jamstik will show as a WiFi "network" in your settings, and you simply join it like you would any other for a low-latency connection. Working in tandem with the WiFi connection is the jamstik Connect app, a free download from the App Store. With it, you can manage all settings of the Jamstik, including an advanced HTML editor to fine-tune response to your playing. Basic settings are available and give you a good starting point for understanding the way it plays. The jamstik Connect app also gives you a few models to get your feet wet with.
Another contributor to the Jamstik's responsiveness over previous guitar MIDI controllers is its "finger sensing" technology. The fretboard uses infrared light to scan what your fingers are doing, allowing the Jamstik to respond quickly once you pluck the string.
The real fun with Jamstik starts when you start to integrate it into your favorite apps (Jamstik claims to be compatible with hundreds). The jamstik Connect app gives you a great list if you need some inspiration, from IK Multimedia's SampleTank and GarageBand to more eclectic ones like Moog's Animoog.  Just like a 25-key MIDI controller, you can use the "notes" on the Jamstik to control any instrument, all the while maintaining the familiarity of a guitar.
The Jamstik can also be a useful learning tool. Another free app, JamTutor, presents you with different exercises that can really be helpful to a beginning guitarist. It also brings new meaning to the phrase "silent practice," as the Jamstik itself barely creates any sound at all, meaning you can feel free to learn in virtually any environment. It's a fun, interactive way to learn that can help you hone your chops when the real thing isn't convenient. Another free app, JamMix, introduces you to making real music with loops, beats and more.
The Jamstik also has  a few other tricks up its sleeve. One is a concept Zivix calls "infinite frets." Although it only has 25 notes, using the D-pad on top of the Jamstik allows you to jump to a new range, effectively giving you twice the range of a standard guitar. Additionally, the Jamstik's lithium-ion battery gives you hours of play on a single charge, and conveniently charges via USB.
Limitations

As fun and inspirational as the Jamstik can be, there are certain hurdles that players may encounter. It's priced at $299.99, which could be an issue for players on a budget. There is a learning curve for sure in getting the Jamstik optimized via the HTML editor, but plenty of documentation, how-to videos and demos on the Jamstik website can help guide you through. Lastly, the Jamstik is at its best when it's being used along with music-making apps, which typically cost money. So be prepared to spend some money in the App Store if you pick up a Jamstik. It's money well spent, however.
Conclusion

The Jamstik has taken advantage of advances in mobile recording to givethe guitar MIDI controller a new lease on life. It delivers a playing experience close to the real thing because it uses actual strings and frets, and allows guitarists to effectively "play" any virtual instrument using the technique they've mastered on guitar. It's a fun way to learn that doesn't encourage bad habits. Once you get past the initial setup and get familiar with the Jamstik, you'll find it's an inspiring and functional instrument that can really spark your creativity.
Resources

Learn more about the Jamstik at jamstik.com

Elantric

My 2 cents - the high latency of the JamStick is very apparent in the YouTube videos - Camera mic hears acoustic string, while the triggered synth tone has a high latency delay 

I suggest look at the You Rock Gen II instead

Bill Ruppert

1. Jamstik fits in my carry bag (Tiny play it on the plane)
2. I cant play rubber strings or the YRG
3. I looked at the jamstik at namm and its built great!
4. latency seems to be an issue for some and others not...
see below review:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My JamStick review
Customer rating 5.0/5.0
November 1, 2014 By Bob Feeser "MillCrafters.com"
Vine Customer Review of Free Product What's this?
4 out of 4 found this helpful

I have been playing guitar for longer than I care to admit. This is what I got. I open the jam stick box and my immediate thought was, "Wow this is super portable and small". I follow the quick start guide and first downloaded the jam track connect application into my iPad air. Then I pulled the paper out of the battery compartment so the batteries would connect and then turned it on by hitting the power button. Then I launched the connect app and follow the on-screen tutorial which is only a couple of pages.

Being anxious to try it out I immediately opened Garage Band started trying out different instruments. I was immediately impressed, and am going to put this in all capital letters THERE WAS ZERO LATENCY. Okay maybe there's a few milliseconds of latency but I couldn't hear it. No matter which instrument I chose there was no latency the guitar the pianos the drums all responded instantly. I purposely checked this because as far as I am concerned latency is unacceptable.

Upon discovering the accuracy with zero false positives I immediately began dreaming of going to an open mic night with just my jam stick the iPad and bring along a stereo line out converted to a compatible PA system input: Talk about traveling light.

Now to get critical for a moment remember I have done zero set up on this thus far. My first thoughts were before connecting it that this was a plasticky mini-guitar and the strings don't even play different notes. Also the smaller length requires a different playing/holding technique. I have to experiment some more and try using the included strap.

I noticed that you need to fret the notes closer to the fret above it. If your finger is closer to the lower part of the area between the frets it could sound that lower note. (So play closer to the intended fret.) This is a matter of technique and every instrument has its oddities. When played un-plugged-in (it's a Wi-Fi connect by the way, it creates it's own network, so you choose it, rather than your home network that the router is on. So Bluetooth is still open for lots of possibilities) Acoustically the note each string produces doesn't change when you fret it. There is a faint sub – harmonic change in the tone but barely noticeable behind the louder same tone that is unchanged when fretted. This is not designed to be an acoustic instrument :-)

Now onto what I love. With a good set of headphones on, the quality of the sounds emerging from Garage Band in my iPad Air are top-notch. Like I said I wouldn't hesitate to play the line out directly into a PA. So the dream is on. With the jam stick in my iPad, on the iKlip for the iPad attached to any microphone stand I could do a live gig on open mic night and not have to carry Jack's squat with me.

I especially love the guitar tones and piano tones. The strings are nice. They are real guitar strings. It comes with the popular 10's. I am looking into being able to install 8's which are my personal favorite and affect my playing technique in a positive way.) I may tweak the sensitivity with how easy the notes are played. Occasionally one is missed because it wasn't plucked hard enough. This of course is specific to playing style and I will have to adjust that parameter to my style. As with all MIDI devices this has a few minor limitations, like when sliding up one fret. It only knows what you picked. When you arrive at the next fret, you need to pick it again. So some of your slip sliding away will have to be put on the back burner.

I think with growing accustomed to good playing techniques, specific to the instrument, and choosing the right virtual instrument, the jam stick is definitely a great addition to your arsenal. Any place there is a PA with an open input you are all set to woo a crowd. If you ace the technique, the crowd can be shocked at how great the quality of the performance is coming out of such a tiny instrument. It's a secret of every great actor. They appear to be humbling themselves when they say, "Under estimate and over perform".

The other thing really worth mentioning is it with the jam stick, if you have a second guitar player, let's say you needed some symphonic strings playing the background, or its electric guitar band that has a much-needed acoustic part or vice versa, this Jamstick could easily be played by anyone. The audience will look up when they hear the B3 Hammond and Rock organ sound and wonder where it is coming from. That alone makes it a great, great addition to any band. Think of this as a rhythm guitar, strings, organ, or piano instrument and leave the wild solos to your Telly, Strat, LP etc. and you won't be the least bit disappointed.

This was my review from taking a right out-of-the-box. I could see learning how to master this instrument and being able to lay down some recordings, mixing the tracks, and creating some pretty impressive songs.

Just as a final note I wanted to mention that I have a Roland GR 20 with MIDI pickup installed on my Strat, as well as the Fishman Triple Play with pick up mounts in my Gibby LP, LTD EC – 1000, and my 51 Pawn Shop Strat. How they behave when they are used for processing MIDI data from an outbound device may be a different situation altogether. Internal recordings aren't a problem. However with a separate interface that is weak, expect some delay. My Fishman Triple Play paired with the inexpensive Tascam US – 322 interface, the latency was obvious. But when I used the ASI04all driver in my Windows laptop there was no latency at all so don't be dismayed from comments from those who are the least bit MIDI savvy. This is a great device, and at a very nice price point. You can't beat it for portability.

Quote from: Elantric on February 23, 2015, 08:58:27 AM
IMHO-for less $$, the YRG GenII offers 300% more functionality compared to the high latency Bluetooth JamStick

Details on Jamstick
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12681.msg92134#msg92134

Details on YRG GenII
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6204.0
$224
http://www.amazon.com/You-Rock-Guitar-YRG-1000-Gen2/dp/B00903HPQ0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424710690&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=YRG+GenII

Elantric

My 2 cents - the high latency of the JamStick is very apparent in the YouTube videos - Camera mic hears acoustic string, while the triggered synth tone has a high latency delay 

more opinions / Amazon Reviews
http://www.amazon.com/Zivix-JSI142100-JamStik-Guitar-your/dp/B00JA8QD40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424710569&sr=8-1&keywords=jamstick
Guitar-Like - But That `Like' Should Get You Thinking
By frankp93 VINE VOICE on November 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product ( What's this? )
I checked out the jamstik website, FAQ, and forums before selecting the item to review. From the promo video, I'm a far cry from the intended demographic but here's where I'm coming from, for what it's worth:

I've played guitar for 40 years, including MIDI controllers going back to the Roland GK-1/GM70 and the GR-55 guitar synth with a GK-3 pickup. I record using software, external and software-based modeling amps, as well as tubes and transistors. I also play keyboards and use various kinds of MIDI controllers.

In its favor, the jamstik has some unique expressive potential. The overall workmanship is quite good; it has some real mass to it and doesn't look or feel anything like a toy. The flat-bottom design let's you rest the jamstik vertically on surfaces, which is a nice touch when working with software.

The latency of the optical sensors compares well to hexaphonic pickups and converters I'm familiar with, such as Roland's.

In spite of the Apple-centric marketing, the jamstik can be used with a Windows PC as a USB MIDI controller talking to music notation applications such as Finale, Sibelius and Notion (in fact, this was my motivation for trying it out). Finale 2014 detected it right away as a `jamstik' MIDI input device. Be aware it may be necessary to transpose input an octave higher in the software (the buttons didn't map), but that's not a big deal if you've used smaller-range controllers - and it still beats entering individual notes with a mouse.

But there are limitations and quirks to consider:

For playing, the five-fret range is unfortunate, although obviously a tradeoff for portability and perhaps comfort and more room for the picking and strumming hand. I have to believe that for every person who thinks "nice, compact, convenient" many more will think "limited". There's an argument to be made that if you're starting out on guitar, limiting your possibilities is a good thing. But the counter argument is it's better to invest in something you're less likely to outgrow quickly or feel constrained by.

The strings on the jamstik are described as `real guitar strings' and this is partially true: They do feel like middle-of-the-road electric strings with familiar looped rollers at one end. But the opposite end that sits in the body of the jamstick is not standard at all - it's a kind of soldered flat disk, designed to hold the strings in the cavity. The bottom line is, you can't use ordinary guitar strings on the jamstik and it's worth looking into the availability and cost of replacements. While breakage may be less likely because the strings aren't tuned to pitch, per se, they can still become cruddy from oxidation, sweat and dirt.

Speaking of changing strings, lefties (such as myself) are out of luck with the jamstik for now (the website indicates a lefty version is in the works). I ignored an online warning that switching strings wasn't straightforward due to the sensors - I've converted a lot of righty instruments and wrongly assumed the issue was convenience rather than design capability.

You can physically swap the strings using the supplied Allen wrench (hidden under the lithium battery - weird) to unscrew the six head bolts and remove the guide pieces holding the strings and springs. The center cover piece can be gently spread from its side mounting slots and the strings raised out of their guides. The strings are inserted from the back like a Strat.

All was for naught however because the optical sensors in the fingerboard are `hardwired' to produce `right-handed' pitches, regardless of string order.

(I'm into electronics and will probably take the thing apart - lots of circuit bending possibilities here - but I don't think that's appropriate for this kind of review.)

I eluded that strings on the jamstik don't transfer actual pitch; they transfer location that's converted into MIDI pitch information. You `tune' the strings by turning the Allen bolts at the head to establish the amount of tension you want to feel. Out of the box the string tension felt quite tight (like the high end of a harp) and unnatural compared to any guitar I've played. But after loosening the bolts I was able to get the jamstik to feel much more guitar-like allowing easier pressing and string bends.

There are many options for playing a guitar through software these days and a fundamental question is how important is it to feel as though you're playing an actual guitar, even when the sounds you make can resemble virtually any instrument (or sampled sound) you can imagine.

An electric guitar - even without amplification - still sounds and feels like a guitar: The higher up the neck you play, the higher the corresponding pitch and `tighter' the string tension as a result of reduced string length. When you pick or pluck a string with one hand, there's a corresponding vibration felt in your fretting hand. The design of the center guides that the jamstik strings pass though prevent this connection from being felt - it's almost as though you're playing two guitars at once and I find that literal disconnect awkward - it reminded me of trying a SynthAxe years ago (although Holdsworth certainly had no problem with it).

Call it a kinesthetic sense or just feel it intuitively - in my opinion that body/finger/string connection is largely responsible for the pleasure people who play guitars enjoy, and the jamstik lacks that for me.

For anyone completely new to MIDI and playing instruments through computer/phone-based software, I think it's worth explaining what the jamstik does and doesn't do:

The jamstik produces absolutely no sound on its own, electronic or acoustic. You can't sit on a plane/train, plug headphones or a headphone practice amp into it and hear anything. It has no acoustic sound such as a Martin Backpacker travel guitar. Neither is the jamstik an electric guitar you can plug into a real amp or an audio interface to play through amp simulators such as Guitar Rig or Amplitube.

The jamstik is a MIDI controller: When you play it, instead of producing sound, the jamstik transmits MIDI data representing your performance via USB or Apple wireless to applications that translate the data into actual sound typically using a software-based musical instrument.

There are applications that take this capability and allow you to interact and learn guitar, trigger and play `non-guitar' sounds, as well as record and playback whatever you perform.

Bottom line: The jamstik is so different from an actual guitar, including ways that may not be obvious without holding it in your hands, that I think it's worth careful consideration before deciding this is really what you want.

Taken on its own terms I can imagine someone doing quite interesting things with it. But if you have any expectation of a genuine guitar-like experience playing it, in my opinion, it leaves enough to be desired that I'd strongly recommend trying it out first in person.

(and btw, the box spells 'jamstik' in all lower-case, just in case you're wondering)

Bill Ruppert

You can get in and edit a lot of things so I will let you know.
Its sent prime which means it can go back free.

Just a side note in case you did not know youtube drops frames from video so its never a great way to judge things.
It makes me nuts when I put stuff up that is dead on sync wise and see it off once uploaded...

Elantric

QuoteJust a side note in case you did not know youtube drops frames from video so its never a great way to judge things.

Yet due to a camera mic employed on the video below, you can clearly hear every plucked raw string 50-80 milliseconds before the sound from iPad occurs. This is unacceptable to me. 
( in fact this video below killed all my enthusiasm for the JamStick)
Maybe they need to do some "damage control" and upload  better Jamstick demonstration videos.

Its not the 1st time I completely misjudged a product due to a bad YouTube video ;0

http://www.amazon.com/JamStik-The-Guitar-your-iPad/product-reviews/B00JA8QD40/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0
QuoteAs stated string feel funny and you can get a starter guitar for far less money, as for a MIDI controller for experienced guitarists go with a Fishman Triple Play the same 300$ you will find it far more useful and versitile , I have been playing for 47 years now in case anyone was wondering....

QuoteSomething must be wrong. Two of the strings are nearly dead, putting out only 30% of the sound of the other four. It sounds out of tune (is that even possible?) and there is an inconsistent delay when picking the strings. When I make a simple chord and strum it is nearly impossible to discern the chord from the other noises due to imbalances in string volume and delay. I'm really disappointed. It's on its way back for a refund. Not playable.

Quoteit's just not playable - first string not works between 2-th and 4th frets, other string are also not responsive sometimes In some cases it gives random delays, in other it gives false positive string pick detection.
It's just impossible to use it.
i tried to use it with both mac and ipad, with garage band and with their native app store app - it's just not works.
So i wait for refund.

QuoteI really wanted to like this product. I am an intermediate guitar hobbyist and was long for a proper midi guitar device. After I got the package, I first tried it with iPhone. This device connects to the phone via the wifi it creates. The latency was horrible. I though it might be the wifi connection/interference. That was an immediate disappointment. After a couple of days, I tried it with my Mac via usb. Still no good result. Then I decided to do a more serious test. I set the beat to 100 and played all notes on all frets. The design was able to identify most of the note correctly. however, it missed several notes and the latency was reflected clearly once its recorded. The worst part is that it triggers random notes. See the picture for what I got in Garageband while I was playing 1st string 5th note all the way through.

QuoteI'm a big believer in innovation, in melding the past with the future, and getting guitars in as many hands as possible. I've been playing since I was 15 (I'm nearly 41 now) and it's one of my life's great pleasures.

The JamStik in theory is a pretty cool idea - a portable guitar you can use on your tablet or iphone. Just think of the possibilities. While the theory and intentions are pretty good, the actual execution isn't quite what one would hope for. For all it's portability, there are a lot of limitations that make it feel like a novelty item rather than a serious musical instrument. As others have noted, latency is an issue and only having five frets renders a lot (if not most) music unplayable. If you are considering a JamStick, keep that in mind.

I also let a friend of my borrow this (he's a bit of a beginner) to try it out and his verdict: "it sucks." That may be a bit on the harsh side (I don't think it necessarily "sucks," per say...), but it goes to show it's probably not the best piece of equipment for beginners.

This is probably beside the point, but if you're thinking about spending $300 for the JamStik, you can get a really, really nice acoustic guitar, a case, a capo, a strap, a tuner, a handful of picks and still have plenty of money left over.

QuoteI checked out the jamstik website, FAQ, and forums before selecting the item to review. From the promo video, I'm a far cry from the intended demographic but here's where I'm coming from, for what it's worth:

I've played guitar for 40 years, including MIDI controllers going back to the Roland GK-1/GM70 and the GR-55 guitar synth with a GK-3 pickup. I record using software, external and software-based modeling amps, as well as tubes and transistors. I also play keyboards and use various kinds of MIDI controllers.

In its favor, the jamstik has some unique expressive potential. The overall workmanship is quite good; it has some real mass to it and doesn't look or feel anything like a toy. The flat-bottom design let's you rest the jamstik vertically on surfaces, which is a nice touch when working with software.

The latency of the optical sensors compares well to hexaphonic pickups and converters I'm familiar with, such as Roland's.

In spite of the Apple-centric marketing, the jamstik can be used with a Windows PC as a USB MIDI controller talking to music notation applications such as Finale, Sibelius and Notion (in fact, this was my motivation for trying it out). Finale 2014 detected it right away as a `jamstik' MIDI input device. Be aware it may be necessary to transpose input an octave higher in the software (the buttons didn't map), but that's not a big deal if you've used smaller-range controllers - and it still beats entering individual notes with a mouse.

But there are limitations and quirks to consider:

For playing, the five-fret range is unfortunate, although obviously a tradeoff for portability and perhaps comfort and more room for the picking and strumming hand. I have to believe that for every person who thinks "nice, compact, convenient" many more will think "limited". There's an argument to be made that if you're starting out on guitar, limiting your possibilities is a good thing. But the counter argument is it's better to invest in something you're less likely to outgrow quickly or feel constrained by.

The strings on the jamstik are described as `real guitar strings' and this is partially true: They do feel like middle-of-the-road electric strings with familiar looped rollers at one end. But the opposite end that sits in the body of the jamstick is not standard at all - it's a kind of soldered flat disk, designed to hold the strings in the cavity. The bottom line is, you can't use ordinary guitar strings on the jamstik and it's worth looking into the availability and cost of replacements. While breakage may be less likely because the strings aren't tuned to pitch, per se, they can still become cruddy from oxidation, sweat and dirt.

Speaking of changing strings, lefties (such as myself) are out of luck with the jamstik for now (the website indicates a lefty version is in the works). I ignored an online warning that switching strings wasn't straightforward due to the sensors - I've converted a lot of righty instruments and wrongly assumed the issue was convenience rather than design capability.

You can physically swap the strings using the supplied Allen wrench (hidden under the lithium battery - weird) to unscrew the six head bolts and remove the guide pieces holding the strings and springs. The center cover piece can be gently spread from its side mounting slots and the strings raised out of their guides. The strings are inserted from the back like a Strat.

All was for naught however because the optical sensors in the fingerboard are `hardwired' to produce `right-handed' pitches, regardless of string order.

(I'm into electronics and will probably take the thing apart - lots of circuit bending possibilities here - but I don't think that's appropriate for this kind of review.)

I eluded that strings on the jamstik don't transfer actual pitch; they transfer location that's converted into MIDI pitch information. You `tune' the strings by turning the Allen bolts at the head to establish the amount of tension you want to feel. Out of the box the string tension felt quite tight (like the high end of a harp) and unnatural compared to any guitar I've played. But after loosening the bolts I was able to get the jamstik to feel much more guitar-like allowing easier pressing and string bends.

There are many options for playing a guitar through software these days and a fundamental question is how important is it to feel as though you're playing an actual guitar, even when the sounds you make can resemble virtually any instrument (or sampled sound) you can imagine.

An electric guitar - even without amplification - still sounds and feels like a guitar: The higher up the neck you play, the higher the corresponding pitch and `tighter' the string tension as a result of reduced string length. When you pick or pluck a string with one hand, there's a corresponding vibration felt in your fretting hand. The design of the center guides that the jamstik strings pass though prevent this connection from being felt - it's almost as though you're playing two guitars at once and I find that literal disconnect awkward - it reminded me of trying a SynthAxe years ago (although Holdsworth certainly had no problem with it).

Call it a kinesthetic sense or just feel it intuitively - in my opinion that body/finger/string connection is largely responsible for the pleasure people who play guitars enjoy, and the jamstik lacks that for me.

For anyone completely new to MIDI and playing instruments through computer/phone-based software, I think it's worth explaining what the jamstik does and doesn't do:

The jamstik produces absolutely no sound on its own, electronic or acoustic. You can't sit on a plane/train, plug headphones or a headphone practice amp into it and hear anything. It has no acoustic sound such as a Martin Backpacker travel guitar. Neither is the jamstik an electric guitar you can plug into a real amp or an audio interface to play through amp simulators such as Guitar Rig or Amplitube.

The jamstik is a MIDI controller: When you play it, instead of producing sound, the jamstik transmits MIDI data representing your performance via USB or Apple wireless to applications that translate the data into actual sound typically using a software-based musical instrument.

There are applications that take this capability and allow you to interact and learn guitar, trigger and play `non-guitar' sounds, as well as record and playback whatever you perform.

Bottom line: The jamstik is so different from an actual guitar, including ways that may not be obvious without holding it in your hands, that I think it's worth careful consideration before deciding this is really what you want.

Taken on its own terms I can imagine someone doing quite interesting things with it. But if you have any expectation of a genuine guitar-like experience playing it, in my opinion, it leaves enough to be desired that I'd strongly recommend trying it out first in person.

(and btw, the box spells 'jamstik' in all lower-case, just in case you're wondering)

Bill Ruppert

I will let you know!
I was really impressed with the build quality at Namm.

Elantric

QuoteI will let you know!
I was really impressed with the build quality at Namm.

Update - Bill R informed me after testing the Jamstick for a day in his studio, he did send it back for a refund.

Elantric

the silence of no reviews from Zivix Jamstik owners speaks volumes

Bill Ruppert

Elantric

QuoteBack it went!

all I need to know - thanks!

Elantric

Elantric

admin

New Jamstik 12 - 5 days away from indygogo

https://comingsoon.jamstik.com/jamstik12?utm_source=JSWebBanner_4.25&utm_medium=WebBanner425

• Full MIDI Capability

• Real Strings and Feel

• A Full Octave of Frets

• Extended Battery Life

• Improved Ergonomics

• Touch Interface Controls

Jamstik
2 months ago
Hi there!

If you want to get started playing today, we'd recommend the Jamstik+, as it's the only version that will be available for a matter of months! The Jamstik 7 will perform similarly to the jamstik+, however, the new version will include 2 more frets and have an extended battery life.

By "coming soon" we mean that we'll be launching our Kickstarter in late March. The final ship date is TBD, but will be a few months after the campaign has ended. We're happy to answer any additional questions you may have via email. Just reach out to support@zivix.net.

Rhcole

I'm in on the new 12 fret version!
We shall see in 8 months ..