SYNTH•LINX 13-PIN LOCKING JACK LAUNCH!

Started by gumbo, June 23, 2013, 06:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whippinpost91850

Peter You are very very welcome. Thanks for the great product. Paul

Majiken

+1 As soon as I refigure the whole pic linking exercise I will report in detail about my odyssey on my Godin LGX-T, where extreme frustration has been transformed to stage-worthiness and accompanying delight. Peter's outstanding advice and support and the excellent Synth-Linx jack are deciding factors in this transformation, and I recommend the Synth-Linx jacks without hesitation if you are serious about reliable 13-pin performance.
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

whippinpost91850

I couldn't agree more. Peter makes an excellent product

gumbo

You're very kind.

The only thing better than having happy customers is having NICE happy customers  !!!

Thank you both.

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

gumbo

Dear Everyone..

Thank you for your continuing interest and support.

There are currently 11 different versions of the Synth-Linx Jack in production, to suit applications in GP-10, GR-55, RR Strat, GC-1 Strat, and a few more DIY areas...one of these days I'll stop long enough to re-write this original 'launch' thread..    ::)

Feel free to PM me with an email address and I'll be happy send you a PDF of the current range and details.

Cheers,
Peter

gumbo

Woo Hoo !!

5002 Views of this thread (before I added this one, obviously)

...Thanks to Everyone for your interest, and a Merry Christmas to All !

Kind regards from sweltering 40C South Australia  :o

Peter

CodeSmart

Quote from: gumbo on December 23, 2016, 12:37:34 PM
Kind regards from sweltering 40C South Australia  :o
Happy Holidays Peter.
I suggest emigration to Gumtown land NZ, 22C
/Robert
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

gumbo

Quote from: CodeSmart on December 23, 2016, 01:46:18 PM
Happy Holidays Peter.
I suggest emigration to Gumtown land NZ, 22C
/Robert

Thanks Robert..and wishes for a great holiday to you!  Watch out for Hobbits...

;)   ...actually a visit to NZ is tentatively scheduled for 2018..next year is taken up with UK

gumbo

Hi Everyone..

Just a reminder that there are currently 11 different versions of the Synth-Linx Jack in production, to suit applications in GP-10, GR-55, RR Strat, GC-1 Strat, and a few more DIY areas...   ...the range has expanded somewhat in the intervening years since the initial product launch!

This is not perhaps immediately obvious from the earlier posts in this thread..  ::)

If you would like more information on the various models of Synth-Linx Jacks, please email me on info@synth-linx.com and I'll be happy to email you a PDF of the current range and details on pricing and supply.

The format of this information is not suited to the Forum's 'Personal Message' system and I will guarantee that your personal email address and details will always remain confidential.

Cheers,
Peter  (aka 'gumbo')
SYNTH-LINX
South Australia

gumbo

Dear V-Folks,

Further to all the information in the post above this one (please read ALL those details!), I wish to bring to your attention that:

By all means please feel free to ask any questions you may have..   I try to cover all the bases, but..     ::)
I'm more than happy to discuss your needs further so that we are both on the same page, and you get the solution that will work best for you.

Another (4MB) PDF entitled "Installation Instructions" is available to give a little more insight into the work required to fit Synth-Linx Jacks; this is available upon request, BUT please first recognise that your Inbox must be able to receive a file of this size.  ....AND I OBVIOUSLY NEED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS TO SEND IT TO YOU.

When ready to place an order, the process is simply to provide the address of your Paypal account and I'll send you an invoice; shipping is usually within three days of receipt of payment for models IN STOCK.
If the model you require is out of stock at time of order placement, you will be advised of projected delivery delay at time of order placement.
Custom variations as to cable length, etc. are obviously not ex-stock and will be subject to negotiated delivery times.

We have a time difference of about 15 - 17 hours between Australia & USA / Canada, and about 7 - 10.5 hours between Australia and Europe (in Australia we're AHEAD of your time) so sometimes our emails might take a day or so to connect when we are both awake..   8)

Hope this helps you...let me know what further info you may need, etc.

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT I WILL BE TRAVELLING OVERSEAS BETWEEN LATER MARCH AND EARLY MAY 2017. 
ALTHOUGH I WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR MY EMAILS PERIODICALLY  WHILST I AM AWAY, I REGRET IT WILL NOT BE POSSIBLE FOR ME TO FULFIL ORDERS DURING THIS TIME.

I WILL NOT BE PROCESSING ORDERS AFTER FRIDAY OF THIS COMING WEEK..  MARCH 10TH.

I WILL RESUME PROCESSING FROM APPROXIMATELY MAY 10TH.

Kind regards from Summertime South Australia...  !!      :-*

Peter Harris
SYNTH-LINX

GuitarBuilder

"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

admin

Review the VG Guitar pic thread - many here use Gumbo's custom GK 13 output jacks
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8888.0
Only requires a simple 0.595" round hole to install
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=359.msg146367#msg146367

instead of the typical hassle of installing the GK-KIT-GT3 Internal kit  13 pin output jack

http://www.strangeguitarworks.com/installing-roland-gk-3-pickup/

gumtown

I know this situation all too well,  :P
just a little bit more..... just a little bit more.... WOOOPS !! too much  >:(

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

AlakaLazlo

Just wanted to weigh in here and compliment Gumbo on a magnificent product.  He was also very generous with his knowledge and made some great suggestions for my project.  I've installed a Synthlinx on my JTV69s and I'm ecstatic with the functionality, the aesthetics, and the (relative) ease of  installation.  Thank you!
Hexstainocaster, Fender Strat and Electric XII, Godin ACS, Axon AX50 - Moog One, IIP and Mini, SEM, Dot.Com/Moon/STG/FSFX 110, Cubase Pro, 2xMR816, HR824, NS10M, Komplete, Omnisphere/RMX/Trilian, Z3ta+, Analog Lab, Slate MTi2, ML1 and Everything Bundle, Social Entropy Engine, ESQ1, DX7, Lavalamp.

gumbo

Quote from: AlakaLazlo on October 30, 2017, 04:03:19 PM
Just wanted to weigh in here and compliment Gumbo on a magnificent product.  He was also very generous with his knowledge and made some great suggestions for my project.  I've installed a Synthlinx on my JTV69s and I'm ecstatic with the functionality, the aesthetics, and the (relative) ease of  installation.  Thank you!

...and thank you for the compliments !  :-*

Cheers,
Peter

admin

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=359.msg169019#msg169019

I just finished this Carvin for a friend using the nice Synthlinx jack, turned out great and works well. Thought you might like to see it:

It is a Koa Carvin with Graphtech piezo and 13-pin, but incorporating the synthlinx jack. Stock pickups now operate on a 6-way Fee-Way switch for 3 humbucker tones, and 3 single coil tones, with push pull for out of phase. Stacked knob is mags tone on bottom, piezo volume on top. Not seen are the two Roland S1/S2 buttons above the neck humbucker - wired them into the Graphtech jack instead of the momentary switch.

hoaithang

Quote from: gumbo on June 23, 2013, 06:39:45 AM

Hi All,

GOOD NEWS!  Synth•Linx 13-pin Jack Kits are now available to Forum Members!
My sincere thanks to everyone who has waited so patiently over the past two years of intensive R & D.

Synth•Linx 13-pin Jack Kits are specifically designed to be surface-mounted on a musical instrument, project box or chassis panel without the need for direct mounting to a PCB. All you will need is a 5/8" (15.6mm) hole to accommodate the body of the Jack plus two small holes for the included mounting screws or bolts.

Synth•Linx Jack Kits offer the convenience of a smaller 'footprint' for shoe-horning a 13-pin synth connection into cramped spaces. They are ideal for custom designs and connections for anyone with the drive and skill to re-engineer their precious guitar or ancillary equipment.

Synth•Linx Jack Kits include the facility to accept and retain the DIN-standard 13-pin (male) locking jackplugs normally found on proprietary 13-pin guitar-to-synth connection cables. Maximum cable security is built in to avoid accidental disconnection.

You have 4 choices of Synth•Linx Jack Kits:

• the Standard Synth•Linx Jack Kit has connection terminals that you solder to your own cabling.
• the Extended Synth•Linx Jack Kit has a 12-inch length of pre-attached 13-core-plus-screen cable that you can cut to length and then solder to whatever components or equipment that your installation requires.
• both these Synth•Linx Jack Kits are also available with captive threaded inserts for the fixing bolts in the mounting flanges for rear-mount installations where access to the back of the Jack may be limited.

Check out the attached Intro PDF for details of the contents and other features of the 4 Synth•Linx Jack Kit versions.

Worldwide pricing (except Australia) is in US dollars:

• Standard Synth•Linx Jack Kits (SL13JS & SL13JNS) — $20 US each
   Plus Shipping & Packaging to USA, Canada & UK (1–3 units) — $5 US
   Plus Shipping & Packaging to USA, Canada & UK  (4–10 units) — $8 US

• Extended Synth•Linx Jack Kits (SL13JE & SL13JNE) — $35 US each
   Plus Shipping & Packaging to USA, Canada & UK  (1 unit) — $5 US
   Plus Shipping & Packaging to USA, Canada & UK  (2-6 units) — $8 US

• Other countries, shipping costs on application. (No shipping to Italy).

• For unit prices and postage within Australia—please email me—info@synth-linx.com.

Where possible, all supporting documentation is provided electronically to reduce postage costs. The mounting templates included in the Installation Instructions PDF are always also provided in hardcopy with the Jack Kits to avoid any scaling issues with your printer.

PAYMENT IS VIA PAYPAL ONLY
TRADING TERMS are set out on PAGE 4 of the Intro PDF.

Interested? Need more information before buying? Ready to place an order?

For further details about the ways Synth•Linx Jack Kits can work in with your ideas and projects, email me at info@synth-linx.com. I can send you an electronic copy of the comprehensive Installation Instructions PDF (3.8 MB).
NOTE: If this file size is too big for your inbox, email your postal address to me, and I'll send you a hard copy.

I'm happy to answer any questions before you place an order through info@synth-linx.com

Kind regards to all, along with my sincere appreciation to those Forum Members who have supported and encouraged this venture (you know who you are)! I look forward to helping you with your guitar/synth adventures...

Peter Harris (aka 'gumbo' on this Forum)
Adelaide, South Australia
https://www.google.com/search?q=Synth-Linx+Jack+13+pin&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CQetaiY7PghSIjiRlHLU_1a7xT0qTeGedY6RmTsaT1VdBPc7mE4HmQaj8TJV0YUZDaaS9QrJsUkZFfzFqp8FZtD-M3ioSCZGUctT9rvFPEQ-N1KSzK8ZwKhIJSpN4Z51jpGYR4JiVBMTG0H0qEglOxpPVV0E9zhEL_1T75HZ1gnioSCeYTgeZBqPxMEZgW1hrLaInjKhIJlXRhRkNppL0R3LWQnl5dvcEqEglCsmxSRkV_1MREsCjE0AgDmKyoSCWqnwVm0P4zeEQdccmhhZf0C&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwinzOKa68_XAhVKrFQKHZqlApUQ9C8IHw&biw=1187&bih=727&dpr=1.25

Which one can we use to replace on GR-1 ?

Thanks

gumbo

Thank you for your question.

The 'problem' with the GR-1, VG-8, VG-88, etc, iterations is that the original Roland 13-pin jack is soldered directly to the circuit board inside the case behind the jack.

These days I make many versions of the Synth-Linx Jack that also include attached cabling (and some with pre-fitted connectors on the end of the cable for specific installations), but none of these are suitable as replacements because insufficient room is available to accommodate the necessary individual connections from the rear of the Synth-Linx Jack to the existing points on the circuit board.

Because the Synth-Linx Jack also relies upon the use of its two mounting flanges for rigid fixing, further problems arise in terms of available real estate on the edge of the (Roland) unit's case, as there is no provision to mount the jack on the circuit board.

It should also be noted that the aspect of de-soldering and removing the original Roland jack from the circuit board, without causing further damage, is also not a job for the faint-hearted and should be left to a professional.

While some research has been commenced to find a Synth-Linx solution to all of this, no immediate answer is available at this point, and the only current alternative is to get the item replaced with another (PCB mounted) Roland jack.

Should this situation change in the future, be assured that details will be posted on this Forum!

Kind regards,
Peter

Headless68

Thought I would share a 'field test' update on Peter's product -
I have been gigging & traveling to rehearsals regularly over the last 8 months using custom guitar fitted with Synth-Linx replacement for the GK3 Kit.
In comparison to the standard socket it is a much more positive connection physically, there is no play. In terms of audio - zero clicks or noise.
Installation is SOOOOOOOOOOO much easier than the standard jack, as you can see from this thread you only need to drill a hole rather than take chisel and hammer to your guitar & you remove much less material from the body.

Overall my personal rating is 10/10 for Synth-Lynx Jack - I will never use a stock 13 pin again, its that good.

Headless

gumbo

Headless also told me privately that he feels better in the mornings when he wakes up, the dogs bark less in the middle of the night, his car is running better and overall his energy levels have risen markedly.

Although there was no way of clinically testing it, he also said that toast seems to taste better since using Synth-Linx Jacks and his preferred radio station seems to be playing fewer commercials.   :o

vtgearhead

Quote from: gumbo on April 05, 2018, 05:12:16 PM
It should also be noted that the aspect of de-soldering and removing the original Roland jack from the circuit board, without causing further damage, is also not a job for the faint-hearted and should be left to a professional.

Us professionals (50 years of bench experience here) shudder a bit at the thought of removing a 13-pin PCB mount jack without damaging traces.  Even with a vacuum desoldering system, the chances of clearing all through-holes completely are not particularly good. 

Here's how I'd approach it: Take a Dremel grinder with cutting wheel to the jack and chop it up from above until all terminals are free of the molded plastic.  Then, heat each terminal from the bottom with a good temperature controlled iron (I swear by my Metcal) while carefully lifting from above with long-nose pliers or tweezers. When all terminals are out, put some liquid flux on the board and clear all holes with solder wick.  Clean excess flux off with PCB cleaner and you're ready to mount the replacement.

Headless68

Quote from: gumbo on April 06, 2018, 03:04:57 AM
Headless also told me privately that he feels better in the mornings when he wakes up, the dogs bark less in the middle of the night, his car is running better and overall his energy levels have risen markedly.

Had a great gig last night - in at 2:30am - bed at 3:30am - dogs woke me up at 5am - Nnnnnnoooooooooooooooo :-)

gumbo

Thank you Everyone for the 8000+ views!
A terrific milestone in the (almost !) five years since I first launched Synth-Linx products...

This forum is a wonderful place...my heartfelt thanks to all who sail in her..    :-*

Cheers from gray (grey!) South Australia, where Winter is still trying to happen..

Peter    ;D

carlb

Superb solution for 13-pin guitar connection. My recently completed ES Les Paul install:

ES LP 13-Pin by Carl B, on Flickr

Unobtrusive, minimally invasive, solid connection.

By the way, with the jack oriented like this, right-angle 13-pin cables head up toward the strap-lock. Perfect for strain relief looping under the strap.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

BladesToyShop

Quote from: carlb on May 24, 2018, 10:22:58 AM
Superb solution for 13-pin guitar connection. My recently completed ES Les Paul install:

ES LP 13-Pin by Carl B, on Flickr

Unobtrusive, minimally invasive, solid connection.

By the way, with the jack oriented like this, right-angle 13-pin cables head up toward the strap-lock. Perfect for strain relief looping under the strap.

Looks really good, and I was thinking the same thing about the cables as it happens.