RC300 - Using The RC-300 as a USB audio interface

Started by jonnyj, February 25, 2013, 11:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Most get something like the Scarlet 18i20 - and put the RC300 in a sidechain Stereo Loop" - not interfere with the Main DAW Output

Tonato

Many thanks shwanb,

Apologies to still bother with this but

My focusrite is the 18i6, and has only 1 output.

If I send the outputs from the mixer, I won't be able to send the daw sounds from the computer to the RC, unless I send the outputs of the focus rite to the mixer as well, and then everything from the mixer directly to the speakers...? am I right? (if that is the case, it is not ideal as my mixer has only 8 outputs and I would appreciate the chance of keeping 2 outputs for something else )

if so, maybe the best is to get a couple of Y cables. (would I loose any quality in the signal?)

Option b: I thought about sending the signal from the focusrite phones output to the RC300, but I live in a shared flat and need the headphones output for headphones to work!

regards and Thanks!!
Quote from:  Elantric on March 17, 2015, 02:42:15 PM
Most get something like the Scarlet 18i20 - and put the RC300 in a sidechain Stereo Loop" - not interfere with the Main DAW Output

Interesting.. Could I do that with my 18i6? sorry but don't really know how to sidechean a stereo loop between the sound card and RC...

Elantric

QuoteMy focusrite is the 18i6, and has only 1 output.

Actually it has six outputs
http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-18i6/specifications
QuoteOUT

2  Line analogue¼"  TRS JackOn rear panel

2  S/PDIF  RCA phono On rear panel

2  Stereo headphones¼"  TRS Jack  Independent of line outputs

If you use a FIIO DAC  ($30 ) you can feed Focusrite 18i6 S/PDIF Out >  FIIO DAC > RC300 Aux Input
http://www.amazon.com/D3-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B005K2TXMO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350923129&sr=1-1&keywords=FiiO+D3
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9163.0

Tonato

Wow, that sounds like THE way to do it. Then I feed the RC300 with a cable 2 phono to 2 mono jack and thats it isn't it?

MANY thanks!

shawnb

Quote from:  Tonato on March 17, 2015, 02:47:05 PM
My focusrite is the 18i6, and has only 1 output.

FYI, the naming convention for the Focusrite is inputs + "i" + outputs.   Your 18i6 has 18 inputs & 6 outputs.

Quote from:  Tonato on March 17, 2015, 03:06:56 PM
Wow, that sounds like THE way to do it. Then I feed the RC300 with a cable 2 phono to 2 mono jack and thats it isn't it?

Yep.  2 cables to keep your stereo separation straight. 

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Tonato

last question... and this cable to connect Focusrite S/PDIF output to the FIIFO DAC ? :

C2G / Cables to Go 29115 6 feet/1.82 Meters Velocity S/PDIF Digital Audio Coax Cable
* Connector 1: RCA Male and Connector 2: RCA Male

* Carries digital audio from a CD transport, DVD player, DAT deck or other digital component to an a/v receiver digital input or an outboard D/A converter input

* Robustly constructed molded connectors attach to an ultra-flexible jacket, and enable easy installation and identification

* The 24K gold-plated, durable connectors ensure long-lasting quality; fully molded connectors provide excellent strain relief.

(same used as for the VG99.. thats cool!)

shawnb

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-29115-Velocity-Digital/dp/B0002J2B8I

Yes, those will work. 

A bit pricey IMO.  Any plain cheapie RadioShack RCA cable will work.  Hopefully a more solid one will take a lot more abuse and last you years, though. 

A cheaper route would be to use your headphone jack.  No need to purchase the DACs then.   

(Damn, RS closed...  Still can't get over that...  Where do I go now for obscure batteries?)
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

Tonato

The quality of this forum is awesome, outstanding!

From discovering how to do it until which exact components I need to buy. I am extremely thankful that you sorted my issue in such a way. THANKS Elantric and shawnb!!!

Elantric

QuoteWhere do I go now for obscure batteries?)

http://www.meritline.com/newsearch.aspx?SearchTerm=batteries

shawnb

I know, I know...

I used to love going to Zack's in San Francisco, talking with the old geezers who could make or fix just about anything.  Then Zack's closed.

For a while, RadioShack fulfilled that need, but as the old '40s & '50s hobbyists grew old & retired, it became painful to ask folks for specific parts. 

Those guys could sure sell batteries, though.  I once asked them why they pushed batteries at checkout so hard, and one recently responded that if it weren't for batteries, they'd be in the red. 

It's all mail-order now...

Elantric

Tonato

Hi Guys,

Finally after a crazy busy week, I have some time today to dedicate to my studio setup... :)

I am going to order the FIIO today to use with the looper.... Just to double check before actually ordering it, as there are different ones in Europe n(at least in their appearance) is it this one the one I need??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-FiiO-D3-192KHz-24-Bit-Digital-To-Analog-Converter-/301417031644?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item462ddae7dc

Cablewise, I assume this is the one isn't it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-6-3-mm-6-35mm-Mono-Jack-to-2-x-RCA-Phono-Jack-1M-/250694512937?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a5e8eb129

THANKS GUYS!! :)

Elantric

Some Fiiio DACs have different Silscreen label - just be sure it's a D3 DAC.

You need a male to male RCA phono cable between Scarlett and Fiio

And connect RCA analog audio out from Fiio DAC to
The 3.5mm TRS Aux Input on RC300 looper with cable type below

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004YEBK66/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1427043811&sr=8-3&keywords=3+5mm+audio+cable+to+rca&dpPl=1&dpID=41N0Gul9ORL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

Tonato

Thanks Elantric, I ll buy things today... Actually a colleague mentioned that I will have latency from the sound card to the RC this way, but I don't think that will be the case...

Sorry to bother over and over with this, but by doing this I will be able to send what I am playing with the FTP to the RC via the DAC isnt it? THANKS SO MUCH! Massively appreciated the help in this thread! :)

Elantric

QuoteActually a colleague mentioned that I will have latency from the sound card to the RC this way, but I don't think that will be the case...

The FIIO DAC will introduce 2 milliseconds latency - as part of the digital to analog audio conversion 

Tonato

Hmm... I think I will have to buy it and see for myself. 2 ms is nothing but added to 7 ms latency of my sound rad and when it comes to actually recording precise loops, might be quite unconvinient...

I think is my best shot for the setup I have now..

Tonato

Hi! Still working this out...

Happy to have received the DAC I connected it to the scarlett and RC and, bum, the RC receives the FTP.

Problem is when I have to send the Output of the RC300. If I send it back to the Scarlett it feedbacks with its original signal. So, I can't send it back to it. Thing is, where do I send it? Considering my amp only has one input!? I think I will need to buy a Splitter for my Amp so I can send the signal from the scarlett AND the signal from the RC separately. Is that correct? Do you think there is a better way?
(I have a mixer which output goes to the scarlett so I can record, and the scarlett goes to the the only amp input)

If that is the only way, I have a question.. By splitting the input from the amp, will I have a detriment in the input quality? Will it the input signal be divided half and half from the splitter?

THANKS guys!!!

shawnb

Two approaches to try:

(1) In your DAW...   (If the DAW is the source of the feedback)
   -  In your DAW, there is usually an option for 'local echo' for the audio for that track.  Turn that off.  It's intent is to help you listen to what is coming in live, so it routes the input directly to the output.   
   -  Another thing to try, simply , is to not route the output back out to the focusrite within your DAW, or to carefully select where your DAW output goes.

(2) In the Scarlett software/interface  (If the Scarlett config is the source of the feedback)
   -  Make sure your inputs aren't automatically sent as "monitor" to your output.  Same thing here - your interface may be trying to be friendly & routing input (at the hardware level this time) immediately to the output.   Is your mix being sent to the output channel?  Look at pg 15 in your Scarlett 18i6 manual to figure out how to route the output.
   -  Try cutting the monitor volume on the front of the interface.

You really need to read that Scarlett manual a few times, until it makes sense. 

Tonato

shawnB many thanks for your reply!

I believe the source of my feedback is hardware, because the scarlett is sending and receiving the same information at the same time, so it would be your option 2.

I burned my brain trying to reply this msg because what I don't completely understand from what you are saying is:

If in the Scarlett I don't send the channels coming from the RC to the main output channel, how would I be able to hear what comes from the RC300? (I mean, if I don't send it to the master, where would it go to be heard, ultimately it will need to go to the master output to be sent to the amp) (I dont know if I am right here tho) so I thought....

The SPDIF output is sending ALL the scarlett INPUTS to the RC (including the ones coming from the RC). BUT the purpose of this is to allow me to ONLY use the daw sounds + FTP with the RC. not any physical inputs. I don't want and I don't need to send the physical inputs through the Spdif. This is what is causing the feedback with the scarlett, so this might the the issue to tackle...
Comment on the side, my mixer is connected to the scarlett through its SPDIF IN.

Would it be possible to configure the SPDIF output to send only the sounds from the mixer (input of spdif) and  the sounds from the DAW to the RC and not all the physical inputs as well (to avoid the feedback coming from the input of the RC)? Does that make sense? and would that be possible?

I would need to send from the Scarlett only the inputs coming from the SPDIF (where the mixer is connected) and the DAW sounds. not any of the 1-8 physical inputs.

I really don't know if that would be possible to do...

shawnb

Quote from:  Tonato on March 28, 2015, 11:54:06 AM
Would it be possible to configure the SPDIF output to send only the sounds from the DAW to the RC and not all the physical inputs as well (to avoid the feedback coming from the input of the RC)? Does that make sense? and would that be possible?

I do think you can route your RC channels into your 18i6's differently within the 18i6 than how you route your DAW.  Look at the "Routing Section", page 16 of the 18i6 manual.  I think you can route your DAW to the output, & not the entire mix, there. 

You need to read that page a few times & experiment with that...  You may even want to just turn all of those off, so NONE of the inputs get automatically assigned directly to an output without going thru the DAW first.

Tonato

Quote from:  shawnb on March 28, 2015, 12:13:01 PM
I do think you can route your RC channels into your 18i6's differently within the 18i6 than how you route your DAW.  Look at the "Routing Section", page 16 of the 18i6 manual.  I think you can route your DAW to the output, & not the entire mix, there. 

You need to read that page a few times & experiment with that...  You may even want to just turn all of those off, so NONE of the inputs get automatically assigned directly to an output without going thru the DAW first.

Sorry man to bother SO MUCH with this...

BUT i think that what I need is to route differently the SPDIF output, to only send to the RC the daw sounds + mixer sounds.
I read the manual and couldn't find how to route the SPDIF out, it seems to be just the master output and I think that is the case of the SPDIF out, to be another master output.

So I still think the only option I have is a splitter to connect the RC output to the amp.

So, The scarlett goes to the RC and to the AMP
And the Rc goes to the AMP.

They meet at the amp (hopefully happily whiteout feedback ha) and that is how I can use it?

Once more, I hope I am not being a pain with this!

I will read and re read what you said before and see if I can experiment with that rc input routing
regards!

shawnb

I think you can route the signals separately here...   

Tonato

THANKS!

But I still think the most effective way is going from the rc to the amp directly using a splitter (one for the rc one for the scarlett) because... by going to the scarlett again, the rc input will be always sending sound through the spdif, so any time i want to make a new loop it will also record the previous loops the rc...

the only possible way to not use a splitter is being able to cancel the input in the scarlett that uses the RC to be sent again through the SPDIF output, and be sent to the analog output instead, but that is not possible in the scarlett routing as far as I know.

Syph

From what I can see in that pic the behaviour you are looking for is possible.

At the top of that pic there are tabs called mix 1, mix 3 & mix 5. (Labeled no. 2)
At the bottom there is the output selection drop down menus (section 5)

In the example pic, mix 1 L&R is sent to the monitor output L&R.
Mix 1 L&R is also sent to the headphone out out L&R.
However, the spdif output mix selector is set to off.

You could select mix 3 is the spdif drop down menu.
Select mix 3 in the tabs at the top of the window.

This will open a new mixer (mixer 3) that we set up to go out the spdif outputs.
So this is where you would turn down/mute the RC300s input.

This functionality allows you to have a superheated mix for your main outs,  your headphone outs, and the spdif outs. Plies it looks like you can have as many mixers saved as well, then just select which mixers you want to route to which outputs. Actually an incredibly powerful tool, and very well designed in terms of real world functionality.

And yes, trying to make digital audio happen is enough fun before we start talking about brand specific terminology and workflows...