Author Topic: BOSS FS-5U Footswitch- Need help  (Read 7533 times)

Offline Machh_2

BOSS FS-5U Footswitch- Need help
« on: February 20, 2013, 06:23:32 PM »
Hi all ! plz i need a little help about this foot switch...

Some one knows if the FS-5U has the switch normally open or normally closed?
I downloaded the owner manual, but it does not explain how each side of the polarity switch works.
I wonder if the key thrown to the side of the connector means normally open or closed the pedal to the key ...

is what I'm needing to adapt another type of footswitch to replace an FS-5U ...

any help is welcome ...

tnx

Machh

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 07:10:52 PM by Elantric »

Offline Elantric

Re: About footswitch BOSS FS-5U - Need help
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 06:30:38 PM »
What are you connecting too?
Hint: the Owners manual for the VG-99 has very detailed instructions on the Boss FS-5u switch settings.

VG-99 Owners Manual Page 18

(They describe the FS-5U polarity switch as the  "Normally Closed" position in the pic below)

I'm needing to adapt another type of footswitch to replace an FS-5U ...

You should seek a Normally Closed Momentary footswitch
(Edit post to update confirmed status of FS-5U Polarity switch.)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:10:20 PM by Elantric »

Offline gumtown

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 06:30:46 PM »
The "U" means it is an un-latched footswitch (momentary),
and the polarity switch should determine "nomally open" or "normally closed" (they don't specify which).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from http://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Offline Machh_2

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 07:03:27 PM »
the problem is as follows:
loopstation I bought a Boss RC-2, and want to use external footswitch with it, but I will not buy the FS-5U, I have 2 footswitches generics (unbranded) and will modify them for use with loopstation.
The manual recommends using the polarity as shown in the picture, and I was wondering if this image is normally open or normally closed.
Then you say that the polarity is what is written in red?
Elantric, the footswitches that I have are like what you showed in the photo (Hosa footswitch) but mine are usually closed, so I'll have to reverse the connection of the internal switch pedal ...
thank you all for your help and for the tips ..

Machh

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:08:06 PM by Machh_2 »

Offline Elantric

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:27:08 PM »
 Machh_2, your FS-5U pic indicates in Red that you need a Normally Closed momentary switch for the RC-2
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=891094
"FS-5U Polarity switch towards the jack results in normally closed operation."

But do these tests if you can:

1)If you have access to a real FS-5U, try the Polarity Switch in both positions, and confirm  which Polarity position works best with your Boss RC-2.

2)   Get a Ohm Meter and measure the Tip to Sleeve on the 1/4" plug -  verify the FS-5U Polarity Switch position for "Normally Closed" or Normally Open".

Put the Red OhmMeter lead on  1/4" plug Tip, and Black OhmMeter lead on  1/4" plug Sleeve.

The Polarity switch is in the "Normally Closed" position when you read zero ohms (an electrical Short) on the OhmMeter without pressing the FS-5U with your foot.

The Polarity switch is in the "Normally Open" position when you read zero ohms (an electrical Short) on the OhmMeter when pressing the FS-5U with your foot.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:46:59 PM by Elantric »

Offline Machh_2

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 06:08:24 AM »

2)   Get a Ohm Meter and measure the Tip to Sleeve on the 1/4" plug -  verify the FS-5U Polarity Switch position for "Normally Closed" or Normally Open".
Put the Red OhmMeter lead on  1/4" plug Tip, and Black OhmMeter lead on  1/4" plug Sleeve.
The Polarity switch is in the "Normally Closed" position when you read zero ohms (an electrical Short) on the OhmMeter without pressing the FS-5U with your foot.
The Polarity switch is in the "Normally Open" position when you read zero ohms (an electrical Short) on the OhmMeter when pressing the FS-5U with your foot.

The best thing to do, are the tests that you suggested ... then stop and get breaking head with it ...
Is impressive is a basic and necessary information, and manual pedal FS5U not provide ...
when i get some results i will post here...

Elantric, thank you for your help, tips and information ... I really appreciate your help.