Show your GK Guitar

Started by Virtual Tone, February 22, 2008, 11:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

GuitarBuilder

Where's the hex pickup in this one?  Hint: look at the bridge pickup!

That's a Cycfi Research Nu Multi 6.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Majiken

Peter, that's fascinating! How do you compare the performance in that position vs. a GK-3 in the standard location, pros and cons?
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

aliensporebomb

Ah, Japanese contemporary strat - mine was the best sounding/playing strat I ever owned and it got wrecked in a bad accident.  I had it slapped back together but it was never quite the same.  A fan of my old band bought it.  I've had strats after but none were quite like that.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

dayn

I just finished this Carvin for a friend using the nice Synthlinx jack, turned out great and works well. Thought you might like to see it:

It is a Koa Carvin with Graphtech piezo and 13-pin, but incorporating the synthlinx jack. Stock pickups now operate on a 6-way Fee-Way switch for 3 humbucker tones, and 3 single coil tones, with push pull for out of phase. Stacked knob is mags tone on bottom, piezo volume on top. Not seen are the two Roland S1/S2 buttons above the neck humbucker - wired them into the Graphtech jack instead of the momentary switch.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: Majiken on March 22, 2018, 03:03:39 PM
Peter, that's fascinating! How do you compare the performance in that position vs. a GK-3 in the standard location, pros and cons?

Sorry for the delayed response, Kenny!  This setup works very well for me.  The pros are plentiful - 1) it looks much better, 2) the output is active low impedance and can drive long cables, 3) the Nu has a wonderful FRFR response that sounds great and lends itself to EQ and recording.  The one con I can think of is that you do need the Nexus interface box (I use a 19-pin Lemo-compatible cable), from which the 13-pin connections are made.  It's actually a pro as well, since the Lemo connector is far more robust than the 13-pin versions.

Tested with Roland systems (GR-55, VG-99, GP-10) and Antares ATG-1.

But there's more: the real attraction is the ability to record and process polyphonic (hex) guitar signals. That opens up a huge range of possibilities because of the very high quality audio out of the Nu pickup, something that is impossible with a GK.

admin

Join me as I build a Stratocaster / Jaguar with an arcade button MIDI keyboard built into the top.

timangus

Tim Angus
Published on Apr 29, 2018
When I was a teenager I made an electric guitar, because I couldn't afford a real PRS. I fitted a Roland GK2A midi pickup to it, by taking it to bits and cramming it all into the body of the guitar, since at the time Roland didn't make the internal version. I was never completely happy with it and for one reason or another I removed it after a few years, but after I got hold of a 3D printer, I realised I could do a much better job...

Tek

Just got done installing my GK3 kit on a PRS SE Standard 24. Everything went relatively smooth.

Also, LOVE the Synth-Linx jack I ordered from Gumbo! I highly recommend these over the stock Roland jack!
It went in like a charm, just a small hole as opposed to breaking out the chisel...

Thanks to everyone for making all the installation information available!
And thanks to V-Guitar forums!!!

Tek

mooncaine

Quote from: timangus on May 02, 2018, 02:30:20 PM....but after I got hold of a 3D printer, I realised I could do a much better job....[/i]

I LOVE it! It's so cool to see how you fashioned retainer clips and whatnot to keep it all together and tidy. Thanks for that detailed video.

gvidelock

Last year, I added a GK3 internal to an old guitar body that was made for me by a friend back in 1990. I had bought a new Warmoth roasted maple neck and some SD humbuckers to rejuvenate the old guitar and it became my main axe for about a year and a half.

But there were a few things it was missing (or I was missing). It didn't have a lot of sustain, it was a hardtail, I was a bit sloppy with the pickguard cutting, and it was a bit weighty for my shoulder.

So, without adding another guitar to my collection (sort of...) I found a finished body on sale at Warmoth that looked good to me. I wanted rear-routing and a 2-point tremolo and a chambered body and a contoured heel and satin finish, etc. And there it was!

I only drilled holes for the GK3 wire and 2 switches, and hogged out the square hole for the 13-pin PCB that came in the internal kit. If I had planned more in advance I would have bought another one of Gumbo's jacks (note to self: order the jack when you order the body from Warmoth, they might arrive together).

I added a Mann-Made 2 point tremolo (local guy in New Hampshire who made tremolos for PRS) and moved the electronics and neck and here it is looking and sounding pretty good:

-------------------------

Godin Spectrum SA
Godin Freeway SA
Fender Telecaster with Ghost and Hexpander
Fender Stratocaster with internal GK3 with Synth-Linx
Warmoth custom with internal GK3
Boss SY-1000
Roland GR-55
Roland GP-10
Katana 100W Head

joo1

Smash

admin

sixeight

Quote from: admin on August 16, 2018, 05:52:06 PM
Not Mine

Stereo Strat

The VG99 can do this virtually. Just turn the string level to zero on string 1 - 3 on path A and on string 4 - 6 on path B and you have two 3-string guitars. Pan the paths left and right and you are done.

I have used this trick many times. It sounds great.

alexmcginness

Quote from: sixeight on August 16, 2018, 11:26:20 PM
The VG99 can do this virtually. Just turn the string level to zero on string 1 - 3 on path A and on string 4 - 6 on path B and you have two 3-string guitars. Pan the paths left and right and you are done.

And...without the hum.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

BladesToyShop

mos6507

Bumping this thread because I wanted to know if anyone knew where to find those mini tophat knobs.  The tophat knobs on my guitar were cramped.  While I've already replaced them with Q-Parts knurled knobs I'd prefer knobs with numbers on them like this if I could find them.  I didn't know anything like these existed.

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

aliensporebomb

No idea on the small ones but I know the large gold knobs with the rubber band around them are Ibanez Suregrip I knobs (often sought after by Ibanez aficionados).  The SG2's were available from Ibanez' parts department at one point.   I think they are onto the third variation now but honestly the SG I's are the ones to get.

You might be able to get some similar ones here:
https://reproguitarparts.com/#!/Knobs/c/1391098/offset=0&sort=normal
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: mos6507 on February 06, 2019, 12:35:28 AM

Bumping this thread because I wanted to know if anyone knew where to find those mini tophat knobs.  The tophat knobs on my guitar were cramped.  While I've already replaced them with Q-Parts knurled knobs I'd prefer knobs with numbers on them like this if I could find them.  I didn't know anything like these existed.

Try the ones made by Kilo International:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/kilo-international/SC-50-4-7/226-4080-ND/710602

fernee

My Black Beauty, hand made back in 1987, Seymour Duncan stack HB neck and DiMarzio HB bridge, Khaler Wonderbar, standar GK...and Strat, w/FloydRose, a little close to the GK, but works fine

mos6507

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on February 07, 2019, 06:59:18 PM
Try the ones made by Kilo International:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/kilo-international/SC-50-4-7/226-4080-ND/710602

Thanks for the tip.  Those are probably the closest but it was the slimmed-down acrylic speed-knob look that I was after.  As a hail-mary pass I sent an email request to Roland to see if they have any NOS although I doubt they would.  I'll be lucky to get a reply.  They're positively antique.  If anyone here has a G505 and isn't sentimental about their knobs, let me know and I'll make an offer.  In the meantime, I can deal with the  Q-Parts mini-knobs.  4 of the 6 pots are push-pull so the knurls help on those.

I had regular tophat knobs before and the curved taper and smooth surface made it impossible to pull them up.  I found this guy who looks like he glues rubber O-rings on and upcharges a fortune so I went down to the hardware store, bought some O-rings and tried gluing them just like this but they totally did not stick.  If there's a kind of glue that would bind silicone to acrylic, I'd like to know.  I might try doing that again.

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

chrish

try messaging the seller in this link below, he was parting out two G505s when I spoke to him about a hex pickup.

https://reverb.com/item/18084502-roland-g-505-body-early-1980-s-pearl-blue

Quote from: mos6507 on February 07, 2019, 11:47:33 PM
Thanks for the tip.  Those are probably the closest but it was the slimmed-down acrylic speed-knob look that I was after.  As a hail-mary pass I sent an email request to Roland to see if they have any NOS although I doubt they would.  I'll be lucky to get a reply.  They're positively antique.  If anyone here has a G505 and isn't sentimental about their knobs, let me know and I'll make an offer.  In the meantime, I can deal with the  Q-Parts mini-knobs.  4 of the 6 pots are push-pull so the knurls help on those.

I had regular tophat knobs before and the curved taper and smooth surface made it impossible to pull them up.  I found this guy who looks like he glues rubber O-rings on and upcharges a fortune so I went down to the hardware store, bought some O-rings and tried gluing them just like this but they totally did not stick.  If there's a kind of glue that would bind silicone to acrylic, I'd like to know.  I might try doing that again.

mmmmgtr

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2823457697664680&id=100000014315993&sfnsn=mo

Master Volume
Concentric Mag Vol/Tone
Concentric Piezo Vol/Tone
Synth Volume
6 way Freeway PU Selector
S1/S2 Roland control
Mag/Piezo selecto