Katana - Position of loop in signal chain?

Started by vtgearhead, December 06, 2017, 04:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtgearhead

Just discovered something odd.  The block diagram from the Katana manual shows the loop jacks positioned downstream from master volume.  However, mine is not working that way.  Pedal volume (attached to GA-FC) does not affect level on the loop out!  Can anyone on the forum confirm this, or are you seeing something different?

In the past I have used Gumtown's editor to shift things around, but I've since updated to firmware v2.01 and performed a complete factory reset.

admin

The block diagram is inaccurate

Im still running older Katana firmware and i use Gumtowns Katana Editor to rearrange each effect in my desired signal chain order , often with reverb 1st as I play Surf Music

vtgearhead

I had a feeling that was the case - thanks.  I really need a way to get a post-everything output from the Katana that doesn't have their speaker emulation on it.   Not clear why they would bother updating the speaker emulation controls in BTS and not include a 'Disable' option. 

Currently looking at modifying the headphone jack so it doesn't cut off the speaker output.  Do you know if they also apply speaker simulation to the headphone out? 

At some point, I'm sure Gumtown will get the editor working correctly with v2 firmware and I can place loop at the very end and appropriate for line output.

admin

Quote from: snhirsch on December 06, 2017, 08:47:23 AM
I had a feeling that was the case - thanks.  I really need a way to get a post-everything output from the Katana that doesn't have their speaker emulation on it.   Not clear why they would bother updating the speaker emulation controls in BTS and not include a 'Disable' option. 

Currently looking at modifying the headphone jack so it doesn't cut off the speaker output.  Do you know if they also apply speaker simulation to the headphone out? 

At some point, I'm sure Gumtown will get the editor working correctly with v2 firmware and I can place loop at the very end and appropriate for line output.

Use the FX Send

DIY Mods -the Headphone Out and Line Out are each driven by their own DSP driven DAC 

vtgearhead

Unfortunately, the loop send is before pedal volume - thus my initial question.

rolandvg99

( EV-5 connected to) GA-FC FX in is pre master. Works as Volume when not acting as WAH.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

vtgearhead

Quote from: rolandvg99 on December 06, 2017, 11:40:27 AM

( EV-5 connected to) GA-FC FX in is pre master. Works as Volume when not acting as WAH.

But, is it pre-loop? 

UPDATE:  I dragged my amp in from the garage and tried this for myself.  When plugged into 'FX', the volume pedal is indeed per-loop!  Life is good.