VGuitar Helix owners?

Started by vtgearhead, October 21, 2017, 02:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtgearhead

Just wondering how many regulars here own and use a Helix?  I wangled a trade with a guy on TGP and am now the proud owner of an almost new unit.  Just starting to dip my toes into it.  Impressed, but also a bit overwhelmed with the choices.

Elantric

I have one

Still have not bonded with it

Magiamusical

Also got one, but haven't had time to play with it. Got hit by Hurricane Maria and lost power for the last 30 days, today I have power again. So I will have a lot of time to experiment there no gigs all of them cancelled so its a nice downtime to play with the Helix, Katana, GP10, GR55, MIDX-20  and other gadgets, so I wont be bored.
Godin LGXT, Les Paul Studio w/GK3, JTV89F w/GK3, GR-55

GuitarBuilder

I owned the POD XT Live and HD-500 and liked the features, but as Elantric says, I couldn't bond with the sounds.  After getting a Kemper I'm even less inclined to try to Helix, but might do so at some point.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Headless68

I had one ....switched back to VG99 ....happy :-)

vxboogie

I've had one since the first shipment and still going strong. Sounds great to me and the routing flexibility works great for adding a couple of favorite pedals.

vtgearhead

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on October 22, 2017, 10:48:33 AM
I owned the POD XT Live and HD-500 and liked the features, but as Elantric says, I couldn't bond with the sounds.  After getting a Kemper I'm even less inclined to try to Helix, but might do so at some point.

I've had an HD500 for about five years and more or less gave up on it.  The sounds it gets seem specific to exactly one volume and degree of pick attack.  It does not respond to changes in dynamics convincingly.  The Helix is based on a completely different DSP engine and modeling approach.  Unless Line 6 are completely blowing smoke, it's closer to a real-time Spice simulation of the amplifier than a measured impulse response and thus has a much better chance of reacting properly to dynamics.  What I've heard so far sounds quite good.  That said, I doubt I'd ever use it for gigs due to the complexity and size of the unit.

Vaultnaemsae

Downloaded the free trial of the Helix Native (alleged to sound identical). Wanted to like it but it sounds like arse.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

Smash

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on October 22, 2017, 05:20:48 PM
Downloaded the free trial of the Helix Native (alleged to sound identical). Wanted to like it but it sounds like arse.

Ha-ha!! Love it - I do get the feeling you may be holding something back though?  ;D

AlakaLazlo

I had a PodXTLive which I replaced with a Helix last December. Night and day!  The Helix sounds great and is very flexible as to effects loop routing and ins/outs.  It also integrates nicely into my midi-guitar system. Added a few third party IRs and, having done so, I  don't think I'll ever need another floorboard.
Hexstainocaster, Fender Strat and Electric XII, Godin ACS, Axon AX50 - Moog One, IIP and Mini, SEM, Dot.Com/Moon/STG/FSFX 110, Cubase Pro, 2xMR816, HR824, NS10M, Komplete, Omnisphere/RMX/Trilian, Z3ta+, Analog Lab, Slate MTi2, ML1 and Everything Bundle, Social Entropy Engine, ESQ1, DX7, Lavalamp.

germanicus

I have one.

I really dig my helix.

I don't use any factory presets.
Using third party IR's really opens it up.

Its also an extremely powerful midi/rig controller. I'm using it to control my Guitar to Midi (Tripleplay) soft synths in conjunction with a laptop and Cantabile Performer. Thus far using the helix replaces a ton of other gear in my live setup (FC300/power supply, Focusrite Forte, M-Audio Uno midi interface). Still working out how the driver fares (latency wise) in comparison to one in the Forte.

Also, being a Variax user, the VDI is wonderful (I use my guitar tone knob to control synth volume levels). Im trying to work out if I can use my physical pickup selector switch to activate certain combinations of soft synths (I think its just a midi command sent down the VDI, probably need to run Midi-Ox). I may create a thread/video on my messing about with all this.

My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

admin

QuoteUsing third party IR's really opens it up.

Any specific Cab IR's work better for your needs?

Are you still using the Traynor K4 as stage amplification system?

germanicus

Redwirez. Big Box Series. Its a large library of impulses using multiple cabinets, mics at multiple positions, at multiple distances.
You can sit with a single helix amp and go through thousands of impulses if you want, or just match up traditional amp/cabinet combinations.

I am still using the k4, but with my current group, I am considering getting a PA solution for the synth tones.
The k4 works great for my guitar tones, but I am also doing live keyboard sounds (hammond organ, pianos, rhodes, melotrons, orchestral sounds) simultaneously. When Im driving a heavy guitar tone plus a melotron and orchestral patch, it gets a little cluttered sonically in the k4, especially at volumes necessary to stay on top of live drums.

What about you? What do you use live?

Traynor k4

imerkat

I went the whole way and got the Variax to go with it. I think the worse part about the Helix is the cult-ish Line 6 fandom. it's actually quite hard to get a particular sound.

You don't see very many line 6 fans here because the company seems to go out of its way not to meet our needs here IMO. their filter/synth section is actually worse than the FM4 synth/filter unit that came out decade ago.  The Variax Bass had Moog style synth but they could come up with ANYTHING for the variax.

Now the Helix has the capability of controlling the Variax and sending MIDI note data. I'm hoping they will try to extend its life down the line and merge the two for a Fishman Tripleplay competitor.

admin

QuoteNow the Helix has the capability of  sending MIDI note data.

Please provide more details?

AFAIK  - neither JTV Variax or Helix are capable of transmitting MIDI Note on/ off messages   

imerkat

Quote from: admsustainiac on November 01, 2017, 09:10:01 AM
Please provide more details?

AFAIK  - neither JTV Variax or Helix are capable of transmitting MIDI Note on/ off messages
Page 46 from the Helix Manual

They have the tools is all i'm saying

germanicus

I believe the helix can send midi note on/off. So you can use the footswitches to trigger synths like a taurus bass pedal.

See page 44 of the Owners Manual:

Note On
Knob  Parameter    Description
2       MIDI Ch       Sets the note's MIDI channel (1-16). When set to "Base,"
                            Helix follows the Global MIDI channel, which is set from the
                            "Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo" page.
3         Note           Sets the MIDI note value (C-1 ~ G9). Middle C is C3.
4         Velocity       Sets the MIDI note's velocity (0-127).
5          Note Off      Determines whether the MIDI note sustains until pressing
                              the switch again (Latching) or sustains only while the switch
                             is held (Momentary).

Traynor k4

admin

Quote from: germanicus on November 01, 2017, 09:24:09 AM
I believe the helix can send midi note on/off. So you can use the footswitches to trigger synths like a taurus bass pedal.

See page 44 of the Owners Manual:

Note On
Knob  Parameter    Description
2       MIDI Ch       Sets the note's MIDI channel (1-16). When set to "Base,"
                            Helix follows the Global MIDI channel, which is set from the
                            "Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo" page.
3         Note           Sets the MIDI note value (C-1 ~ G9). Middle C is C3.
4         Velocity       Sets the MIDI note's velocity (0-127).
5          Note Off      Determines whether the MIDI note sustains until pressing
                              the switch again (Latching) or sustains only while the switch
                             is held (Momentary).

Thanks!

arkieboy

I've had an LT for just over a week.  Really happy with it.

Routing is incredibly flexible - I have my piezo equipped Brian Moore iGuitar sending both mag and piezo signals to the helix, routing the mag through one of two amps, and the piezo through rtn1 into its own signal path with a valve pre and an acoustic body IR.

I have a wah, compressor, fuzz, 2x delays, chorus, reverb, noise gate and several eqs, AC30 and 2204 amp+cab inside a single preset: snapshots make it dead easy to come up with a few songs' worth of sounds.

I'm leaning towards some IR purchases because they are instant gratification - although it seems that lots of people go back to the internal cabs after a while.  I had read that you can change the IR in an IR block per snapshot - which would have been ace - but this appears not the case.

The free Redwirez 4x12 is spot on - really I just need a good open back 2x12 and I'm sorted.

Next thing is to get it to be an audio interface for MainStage at the same time - with Jam Origin midi guitar in there and the default Logic synths, I'll really be progging!

Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

germanicus

You can use snapshots to change IR's, at least in the regular Helix floorboard.
I have a few patches which use an IR block to emulate acoustic guitars using my Multiac. 8 snapshots each with its own IR and Eq settings.

Traynor k4

sixeight

QuoteI had read that you can change the IR in an IR block per snapshot - which would have been ace - but this appears not the case.

You can. With the IR block selected, go to menu - control assignment and set the IR selection to snapshot. Now the snapshots will control this parameter.

arkieboy

QuoteYou can. With the IR block selected, go to menu - control assignment and set the IR selection to snapshot. Now the snapshots will control this parameter.

Brilliant, thanks!
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Vaultnaemsae

I'm about to eat my hat. I've been playing with Helix Native again and it's actually pretty damn good. If it sounded like 'arse' before it's probably because I wasn't using it properly/well and was just playing with the presets. I'm liking it a lot this week. 
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

Elantric

Last night I played my Helix on ATH-M50X headphones and had a good experience editing the patch
"11A  Cali IV Rhythm 1"

I moved the 63 Spring reverb block  in front of the Amp and found Helix provided all the controls so I could micro surgically control all aspects of my sound , I must have spent an hour going through a partial array of available parameters and being knowledgable about Audio I could see where Helix provides far more parameters for control and has become the industry standard as a tool.

So heres a basic fundamental  difference I see betewen Helix and Headrush at this hour ( Nov 2018)

For a given 2 hour evening with either and a pair of  Headphones and an electric  guitar and  laptop running your favorite DAW of choice ( Reaper)   I recorded more demo songs with Headrush because I accepted its tones as acceptable "good enough for rock & Roll" and moved on recording Bass parts and Lead parts on three demo tunes in least amount of time.

While in Helix I could spend 1 hour refining my rhythm tone and another hour refining my Lead tone and I admit I could achieve tones with effects which I cant get out of Headrush

So if you are an audio geek and understand audio engineering and want a tool which provides microsurgical control of your reverbs , delays Amp ( sag,  bias) and output routing to several destinations including SPDIF I/O    ( to bring new life to your Roland VG-99 ) go with Helix

but It takes discipline to dial in a Helix patch and keep it under a minute , because of the order of magnitude more parameters for control that Helix privides vs Headrush .

And I'm  finally able to make sense of the Helix User interface with touch sensitive foot switches .
My lesson with Helix is if you are put off by its sound, just wait a couple years and the Helix Team with Ben and Eric will listen to users with firmware updates which will eventually deliver a more than  usable professional tool for those who seek more control of their guitars audio  - or want to learn

Back in 2015, my  Helix went  back in storage because I could not escape its nature to be brittle and cold - today with current firmware its night and day improvement , but you must have a handle on audio engineering , because you can easily dial in unacceptable tone as well.

While Headrush I found I was more willing to accept its editing limitations , find a tone that works for typical guitar tones  and concentrate my available time composing demo tune music

sixeight

QuoteWhile in Helix I could spend 1 hour refining my rhythm tone and another hour refining my Lead tone and I admit I could achieve tones with effects which I cant get out of Headrush

It took me three months before I was happy with my tone from the Helix. It really takes time. The default settings of the amps have improved with the latest firmware.

But when I play my GR-55 for a while and go back to the Helix, my ears have to readjust to the Helix tone. Really weird. Almost disturbing...