Any godin RMC vs gk3 audio comparisons?

Started by Smash, October 18, 2017, 08:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

Looking for a new guitar for use with VG99.

Options are 'normal and add gk3. Thinking Ibanez prestige RG1070 or same vain or....go neat all in one with Godin XTSA.

Not a fan of the Roland Strat

My worry is everything I read about piezo and modelled distortion sounds so was wondering if there's any audio comparisons of piezo vs gk3 for modelling.

I'm expecting better midi tracking

Elantric

Need to also compare different piezos and know the year of production

To my ears the 2011 or newer RMC piezos are less shrill compared to other piezos during COSM Guitar modeling. 

For playing Rock/ Blues guitar modeling Still prefer the tone of a GK-3 everytime -not even close.

Piezos deliver an ice pick spike high end and  low rumble anomalies on high gain COSM  patches on VG-99, GP-10, GR55

More here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5043.0

QuoteI'm expecting better midi tracking ( with Piezos
Thats the claim
- but unsupported in practice compared to a properly installed GK-3 , which only a few pursue and accomplish.

I can say most GK-3 installs are done poorly and become the basis for the reports of piezo superiority for MIDI tracking

bbob

I started off with a Roland Ready Strat.  Then moved on to RMC equipped Godin Multiac Spectrum and Godin LGX-SA.  I never could bond with the sound results from the Godins and sold the Spectrum and the LGX-SA is for sale.  To me the sound was just too digital and ice picky and the tracking was the same.

Wish I had kept the Strat.   :(   Warmer sounds and much better at the acoustic COSM sounds.

Bob

Kevin M

Smash

Ok - I'm reading this message loud and clear!

Strandberg OS6 has been suggested as a guitar for me but while I can see the gk3 can mount the non trem model, i csnt see whether there's any possible way of mounting it on the term version without there being a large distance on the lower strings unless it could somehow be squeezed onto the pivoting trem plate?

admin

mount the GK-3 at an angle if there is room
Like the recent Boss Strandberg Synth Guitar

QuoteStrandberg OS6 has been suggested as a guitar for me but while I can see the gk3 can mount the non trem model, i csnt see whether there's any possible way of mounting it on the term version without there being a large distance on the lower strings unless it could somehow be squeezed onto the pivoting trem plate?

In that case - only option is must mod the guitar and move the Bridge Magnetic pickup to accommodate more room for the GK-3 hex PU location  - but due to the multiscale design of Strandberg OS6 w/ tremolo - mounting a GK-3  will yield a "compromised" COSM Modeled neck PU tone  - due to the increased "out of range" distance of GK-3 with respect to the  lower string saddles.

But unless you enjoy burning money, I would try the GK-3 and Roland/Boss Guitar modeling gear with a different guitar

Many user examples are here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19.0
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=359.0

rolandvg99

To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

lespauled

I've had a Roland Ready Strat and a couple of Godins.  I didn't notice a difference in sound.  But I did make the change on the GR-55 to the correct setting.

On the other hand, I no longer own any Godins.  The guitars are incredible playing guitars, but the RMC pickups fragility was constantly weighing on my mind.   I would go back to a Roland Ready strat in a second.

Smash

Problem with the gk guitars available they're pretty much all second hand and far afield - spend half a day going to look at them and they play hideously despite what the vendors tell you.

I went to see a vigier shawn lane that the owner told me was like butter - it sounded like a kazoo the fret buzz and rattle was so bad. Put me off Vigiers completely.

I guess I need to try and find a local godin to try with my rack and see what it sounds like

lespauled

Quote from: Smash on October 19, 2017, 01:06:20 AM
Problem with the gk guitars available they're pretty much all second hand and far afield - spend half a day going to look at them and they play hideously despite what the vendors tell you.

I went to see a vigier shawn lane that the owner told me was like butter - it sounded like a kazoo the fret buzz and rattle was so bad. Put me off Vigiers completely.

I guess I need to try and find a local godin to try with my rack and see what it sounds like

Learn how to do your own setups, fret work, etc., and you can get AMAZING deals on guitars.

carlb

I hesitate to say that GKs are better in every situation. But from my experience with modeling to get various electric guitars and acoustic instruments, the GKs are better than piezo (RMC or Ghost). Even with the sub-frequency roll-off filters modules (e.g. RMC or Joness).

1) There's less inter-string crosstalk for a GK, important for reducing "warblies" on alternate tunings.
2) The Ghosts don't have sufficient grounding/shielding, so that you really shouldn't even touch the bridge while playing. On high-gain or twelve-string models (especially nylon twelve string modeling) you'll hear buzzing that's nowhere near acceptable. I started out with Ghosts (on Carvins), and decided to try RMC setups from the ground-up.
3) The RMC saddles appear to be deteriorating over time. Apparently this is pretty common, a corrosion problem within the saddle pieces. I'm seeing that with one of the RMC setups I had put in 2-3 years ago (on my workhorse axe), to the point where problems in item 2 above are happening now.
4) The pickup modeling and acoustic instrument modeling just sound more correct and better from a GK pickup. Regardless of whatever hex-pickup input settings I've used on the VG-99, GP-10, or GR55.

I don't use MIDI translation of string output, so I can't speak to that. Nor can I speak to the GR55 triggering of internal PCM sounds. I'm just not interested in them.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker