RR Strat, S1/S2 switches not working

Started by Guido81, September 26, 2017, 10:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guido81

Hi, Though I still have a lot to read I must say, I've been struggling with this for a couple of weeks now.

I use this Fender Roland Ready strat, with a GR-55, I already know how to setup the S1 and S2 switches to different assigns, I tried for example to change the standart "Bank inc/dec" to "patch inc/dec" in each button, but nothing happens, not changing banks or patches.

here is what I think It could probably be the problem. when the guitar arrived, the Guitar/Mix/GK switch was stuck, phisically stuck (damaged I thought), I had to check with my guitar tech and together we opened the guitar (some pictures added), eventually he fixed the Guitar/Mix/GK switch (and It works fine btw), BUT IN THE PROCESS A COUPLE OF WIRES CAME OFF,
Ok, I had previously downloaded the service manual I found around here. The red cable we could see were it did came off, because it was when we were about to take the photo, the black cable you see hanging from the middle pin of the switch we didn't actually see where it's supposed to go. I argued with him, that according to the service manual, THE BLACK CABLE SHOULD GO TO S1/S2 switches according to the diagram (just don't know if it goes to one of 'em or both) the manual is not very clear. He said we shouldn't worry as it's only "ground" cable, and By looking around he said it belongs to the middle potentiometer as you can see in the photo. So he soldered there. I don't know if this is the problem, but could be..

One interesting detail. We measured the S1/S2 switches with a tester, and they were working, I mean the tester was responding to the pressing of the s1 s2 buttons, I but don't know if that means it should work as intended.

Does anyone know exactly how the wires are supposed to go?  ???
Any other suggestions besides the wiring problem?

Thanks

I'm adding pictures and Fender Roland GC-1 manual

Geez, accidentaly posted in "GK-instruments Other" I thought I did it in "GK-Guitars" sorry, trying to move it but it seems I can't

Elantric

Guido81

Thanks Elantric, form moving the topic to the right place.

As I said at the begining. I already spent some time reading the same documentation you posted here. But... taking a second look at the schematics, I realize I did it before, and the soldered cable is indeed the one shows as "shield" and GND. Worth to mention that I checked the 13-pin cable and it looks fine (no pins loose or missing)

I'll make my guitar tech take a look at this anyway.

But do you guys think I could have done something wrong?

Ps. I might be willing to try something, I have the GK-3 that came with the GR-55, but didn't mount it to my guitar yet, (It's a floyd rose guitar, and I have to make an accesory I saw at the forum). I might connect the the GK-3 to the GR-55 (with the same 13-pin cable) and try if the S1 and S2 buttons work? it would work if not attached to a guitar? and most important, no damage may occur to the GK or the Hex PU if they're not installed on a guitar?

admin

Because the "Guitar/Mix/Synth" three way switch on your guitar is only a SPDT type switch ( see "SW3" on GK-2A schematic below)  =  you have an older  Roland Ready Strat,
And your guitars schematic circuit is closer to a GK-2A
(Later GK-3 / GC-1 guitars employ a DPDT Switch for the "Guitar/Mix/Synth" three way switch.)

So follow the GK-2A schematic above

- but pay attention to the deviation which is the unique 1/4" switching output jack circuit on your guitar - this is documented in the "GC-1" schematic

the goal is to remove the Roland electronics from loading down the signals of the the stock strat 1/4" output anytime a 1/4" plug is inserted into the Roland Ready Strat Output jack

QuotePs. I might be willing to try something, I have the GK-3 that came with the GR-55, but didn't mount it to my guitar yet, (It's a floyd rose guitar, and I have to make an accesory I saw at the forum). I might connect the the GK-3 to the GR-55 (with the same 13-pin cable) and try if the S1 and S2 buttons work? it would work if not attached to a guitar? and most important, no damage may occur to the GK or the Hex PU if they're not installed on a guitar?

Yes that should work - but know that a GR-55 factory reset may be required before the GK S1 & S2 switches function
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/roland-gr-55-factory-reset-initialize/

Guido81

thanks admsustainiac, I'll look closer at those schematics, didn't know the difference about the switch

Quotethe goal is to remove the Roland electronics from loading down the signals of the the stock strat 1/4" output anytime a 1/4" plug is inserted into the Roland Ready Strat Output jack

Didn't know this either, It means anytime a regular guitar cable plugs in the normal output, the wiring avoids that any Roland electronic gets activated, so that way works like a "normal" guitar. 

QuoteYes that should work - but know that a GR-55 factory reset may be required before the GK S1 & S2 switches function
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/roland-gr-55-factory-reset-initialize/

:o Then I should do a backup first, As the GR55 came with Amazing presets for the style I do

Thanks for the help! admsustainiac, elantric.  :)

gumbo

Everything everyone has said so far...

...but put simply, all that the S1 & S2 switches do is to connect 'ground' to pins 10 & 11 (respectively) of the 13-pin jack in your guitar.
If either or both of those switches do NOT currently have a 'ground' connection on the opposite side of the switches that connect to those pins on your 13-pin jack, they are not going to operate.

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Guido81

Thanks Peter.

I've just tested the GK-3 and it works perfect. I mean the s1/s2 buttons of the GK3, so only the RR strat is to blame.

Now ... .
Quote..but put simply, all that the S1 & S2 switches do is to connect 'ground' to pins 10 & 11 (respectively) of the 13-pin jack in your guitar.
If either or both of those switches do NOT currently have a 'ground' connection on the opposite side of the switches that connect to those pins on your 13-pin jack, they are not going to operate.
That's a good and simple explanation! I'll have to check that with the schematics.

Thanks everyone for your inputs! :)

Guido81

Finally a solution!

As posted before the small cable that goes out from the "GK/MIX/GTR" switch, was soldered at the wrong place, we soldered now to the "ground" of the S1 and S2 switches and that's it. Now it works as it should!

I hope this will help others, uploading a couple of pictures btw

Thanks! :)

Guido

gumbo

Quote from: Guido81 on October 12, 2017, 08:35:38 AM
Finally a solution!

As posted before the small cable that goes out from the "GK/MIX/GTR" switch, was soldered at the wrong place, we soldered now to the "ground" of the S1 and S2 switches and that's it. Now it works as it should!

I hope this will help others, uploading a couple of pictures btw

Thanks! :)

Guido

Good stuff!!   ;)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...