GP-10 - Setting up a GP-10 with a Katana

Started by Ari, August 03, 2017, 10:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ari

Hey all, trying to figure out the bestest way to use my gp-10 WITH my Boss Katana for amplification. I love the Katana alone, but I'm talking about getting all my sounds from the GP-10 and just amplifying through the katana. So, Which output setting works best on gp-10 and which input on the katana? Acoustic? Clean jc-120 channel? Return of the loop? The acoustics did not do well through the clean, only the acoustic channel on the katana. In the return, my settings were all kind of boxy and harsh...any thoughts? THANKS!!

admin

Feed GP-10 3.5mm TRS Headphone out into Katana 3.5mm TRS AUX IN

Or if you have a Katana 100

Feed GP-10 Left Output into Katana FX Loop Return

Ari

Quote from: admsustainiac on August 03, 2017, 10:39:38 AM
Feed GP-10 3.5mm TRS Headphone out into Katana 3.5mm TRS AUX IN

Or if you have a Katana 100

Feed GP-10 Left Output into Katana FX Loop Return
Thank you Adam. My presets all sounded kind of thin like this but that was at full volume and with different settings it will work. Which setting should I use on gp-10 output? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carlb

To use the GP-10 main output into Katana front panel input, and coordinate the needed patch and channel settings for your electric vs. acoustic outputs:

If you have a Katana head, a MIDX-20 can connect the two: USB from MIDX-20 to GP-20, MIDI from MIDX-20 to Katana.

Then you can use GP-10 internal or external foot switch events to send MIDI commands to the Katana to switch channels. You'd have different channels setup for acoustic, electric clean, electric crunch, etc.

A drawback maybe: I don't think the excellent MIDX-20's CC# to Katana sysex command mappings would work with the above. If that's true, none of the great Katana "sneaky amps," etc. would be accessible with this setup.

If you don't have a Katana head, you'd use some other approach. Because for coordinated MIDI control between the Katana and the GP-10 you'd need two MIDX-20s: one to "USB Host" the Katana, the other to "USB Host" the GP-10.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Elantric

Quote from: carlb on August 03, 2017, 11:29:58 AM
To use the GP-10 main output into Katana front panel input, and coordinate the needed patch and channel settings for your electric vs. acoustic outputs:

If you have a Katana head, a MIDX-20 can connect the two: USB from MIDX-20 to GP-20, MIDI from MIDX-20 to Katana.

Then you can use GP-10 internal or external foot switch events to send MIDI commands to the Katana to switch channels. You'd have different channels setup for acoustic, electric clean, electric crunch, etc.

A drawback maybe: I don't think the excellent MIDX-20's CC# to Katana sysex command mappings would work with the above. If that's true, none of the great Katana "sneaky amps," etc. would be accessible with this setup.

If you don't have a Katana head, you'd use some other approach. Because for coordinated MIDI control between the Katana and the GP-10 you'd need two MIDX-20s: one to "USB Host" the Katana, the other to "USB Host" the GP-10.

Not quite true

One MIDX-20 has TWO USB Host Ports  - to support the GP-10 "MIDI Over USB" as controller for ANY Katana USB Port  - using "MIDI over USB" ( all Katanas are supported  - not just the Katana head)

But you will still need a third party MIDI foot controller to control things  - because the  GP-10 does NOT Transmit  MIDI CC# commands  - required to control the Katana Effects and deeper control options provided by the MIDX-20

Elantric

Quote from: Ari on August 03, 2017, 10:54:45 AM
Thank you Adam. My presets all sounded kind of thin like this but that was at full volume and with different settings it will work. Which setting should I use on gp-10 output? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While it works in a pinch, Realize the Katana Amp is NOT a good  1st choice for GP-10 amplification.

Get a genuine FRFR Amplification system ( Atomic CLR Neo, QSC K12.2, Yama DXR-12, etc)  - which will yield much better results for the GP-10 Guitar Modeling, Steel string Acoustics, Classical  Nylon, Synths, etc.

find more  FRFR systems here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=37.0

a few folks concentrate on using the GP-10 as a "Floor based Variax Guitar Modeler" - and skip the GP-10 Amp Modeling and FX, and feed a Kemper or AXE-FX

read DR Bills / Mermans GP-10 experience with GP-10 > Kemper
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12063.msg87667#msg87667

the GP-10 > Katana works well too for Rock tones - but falls apart for  Synths, and most Acoustic tones 

Ari

Wow thats am awesome and crazy rig! I have a kemper too...I hear you about the katana. I'll stick to a direct rig with gp-10.

Idgolfguy

Just as an update - posted this elsewhere too.

Used to carry my Nano 600 and then ended up my Mackie Thump 12 or 15 pairs. It was for stage sound only so didn't care about stereo.

I've started to use my Katana setup. As I would gig with both normal and GP10 sounds. Had the GP10 going into the Aux in so that both were available.

My current setup has changed slightly now. I have the GP10 outfput going into the return of the Kat head. I can now also use the Kat effects on the GP10. I use the effect loop switch to swap guitars.

The Kat 2x12 box is mic'd up with an SM57. Some guitar players and audience have commented on how they like me sound. It's less effort for me to manage as well.

Working great for now.

Elantric

Quote from: Idgolfguy on April 19, 2018, 03:18:19 PM
Just as an update - posted this elsewhere too.

Used to carry my Nano 600 and then ended up my Mackie Thump 12 or 15 pairs. It was for stage sound only so didn't care about stereo.

I've started to use my Katana setup. As I would gig with both normal and GP10 sounds. Had the GP10 going into the Aux in so that both were available.

My current setup has changed slightly now. I have the GP10 outfput going into the return of the Kat head. I can now also use the Kat effects on the GP10. I use the effect loop switch to swap guitars.

The Kat 2x12 box is mic'd up with an SM57. Some guitar players and audience have commented on how they like me sound. It's less effort for me to manage as well.

Working great for now.

Sounds like a versatile rig!

Idgolfguy -you are most qualified, do you still use your iPad based rig , or do you find the GP-10 + Katana head ( + Guitar speaker Cab) a better fit for live use?

Idgolfguy

Still do use the IPad as on the picture for live on smaller more intimate/quieter gigs but BiasFx switching is noise on some patches. Hence, trying the Stomp I/O.

The Kat Head and GP-10 set up , I've used on 10 gigs consecutively. 11th tonight - I'm loving the flexibility and ease use and setup/pack up.

The Kat is brilliant on its on, but the GP-10 acoustic and Jazz  patches through the acoustic Kat and onstage monitoring and micing via Kat 2x12 gives me a consistent, broad sound.

I like the concept of the iPad-based set up, it's emotional... nobody else in town uses it live. However, EA in me just likes the reliability of a hardware solution.