Nuts!

Started by philjynx, June 16, 2017, 12:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philjynx

alexmcginness

Baking soda and crazy glue.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

mooncaine

I like the depleted uranium idea, but I think it'll make your axe neck-heavy. Why not get another Graphtech nut, since you think it's very nice? Go with what you like (that works).

I'd prefer bone, if I was shopping today, because I know I'll be sprinkling graphite powder on it anyway, and maybe any random lubricant, in a pinch (so I wouldn't choose plastic & take the chance that it could get melted by Vaseline, 3-in-1 Oil or WD-40).

Bone is a sustainable resource... so far. Creatures with bones tend to create more creatures with bones.

Elantric

Quote from:  philjynx on June 16, 2017, 12:50:49 PM
Well, I've had supper, so dietary advice is not really what I'm after.....

been doing the Baking Soda + Super Glue "quick fix"  since 1977 -

but it always best to get a new Nut - these days I prefer a GraphTech

and use Warmoth Nut files and Xacto saw

http://www.warmoth.com/Nut-Files-Set-of-3-P44C215.aspx

or alternatives

https://www.amazon.com/Double-Edge-Files-Acoustic-Guitars/dp/B00BKNX9FO

https://www.amazon.com/FOXNOVO-Stainless-Winder-Guitar-Luthier/dp/B00PC17212

Elantric

My point is  - get a new fresh Graphtech NUT
http://www.graphtech.com/products/product-categories/nuts

and use the right tools  ( Nut files and XACto saw ) & dont make mistake of filling the new Nut Slots too shallow = 1st fret buzz

http://www.warmoth.com/Nut-Files-Set-of-3-P44C215.aspx

Elantric

I suggest find a local Luthier who will work with you and you can trust.

90% of the guitars I own  - i always must adjust the truss rod, lower the action, file the nut a tad for my preferred string gauge  (skinny top / heavy bottom 10-52), then set the intonation.

my Custom Shop Gibson Les Paul and Reverends were perfect right out of the box   

Elantric

Elantric

Quote from:  philjynx on June 16, 2017, 01:50:38 PM
I have one of those 'baseball hats' you know, the lenses with the light that you wear. Use it for electronics and such. Always makes me think of Buffallo Bill (with his night vision goggles) in The Silence Of the Lambs. And Jodi Foster, but I may be straying way off topic now.....

I recently got one of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015H9VJ5S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It shoots 17 hours of video  - so i can remember where i misplaced my tools.

Helps when "spring cleaning the garage"   - so next week you can hit rewind and locate the where-abouts of the the missing tools you recently moved and relocated

Elantric

alexmcginness

Quote from:  philjynx on June 16, 2017, 12:50:49 PM
Well, I've had supper, so dietary advice is not really what I'm after.....

??? You never heard of using baking soda and crazy glue to fix a nut before? Hmmm... Im getting old. Oh well.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

whippinpost91850

mooncaine

I don't know about doing this kind of stuff (replacing or filing nuts), so this may be a stupid question:

If your nut slot's too low, why not shim it to jack it up higher, then file down the slots to match the right profile again, then, if they're still too low or high, try thinner/thicker shims till it's great? That way you only deal with filing those pesky nut slots a once or twice.

admin

Because most people lack the skills to remove a nut,  insert shim , reinsert the nut and do all that you describe

although indeed that is a traditional method of adjusting the action at the nut

Shingles

Quote from:  philjynx on June 16, 2017, 01:02:11 PM
I was leaning toward the idea of bone too.

I had this idea of buying a job lot of very soft artists pencils, re-branding them as nut lubricant and making my fortune. Yep, that's how I lubricate my nut with exactly that kind of pencil. All you do is raise each string, scrape the end of the pencil against the underside of the string and then drop it back into its slot. Works a treat. Seriously!

Better to use hard pencils. They have a higher graphite content, with less soft filler (clay).
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

alexmcginness

Quote from: mooncaine on June 16, 2017, 08:56:18 PM
I don't know about doing this kind of stuff (replacing or filing nuts), so this may be a stupid question:

If your nut slot's too low, why not shim it to jack it up higher, then file down the slots to match the right profile again, then, if they're still too low or high, try thinner/thicker shims till it's great? That way you only deal with filing those pesky nut slots a once or twice.

Hence the baking soda and crazy glue. Just fill the slot with baking soda and soak the fill with a couple of drops of crazy glue and let dry. Then re file the slot with a nut file and Bobs your Uncle.

gumbo

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

gumbo

Quote from: alexmcginness on June 18, 2017, 03:15:14 PM
Hence the baking soda and crazy glue. Just fill the slot with baking soda and soak the fill with a couple of drops of crazy glue and let dry. Then re file the slot with a nut file and Bobs your Uncle.

Everyone thought Uncle Bob was a bit crazy...
...must have been the glue fumes...   ::)

alexmcginness

Quote from: gumbo on June 18, 2017, 04:18:45 PM
Everyone thought Uncle Bob was a bit crazy...
...must have been the glue fumes...   ::)

I cant be the only one here thats used the baking soda and crazy glue trick to fix a nut before. Say it isnt so....

gumbo

Quote from: alexmcginness on June 18, 2017, 09:02:00 PM
I cant be the only one here thats used the baking soda and crazy glue trick to fix a nut before. Say it isnt so....

...it isn't so....     :-*

whippinpost91850

Have no fear we used to use it for fast emergency repairs , when there was no time to shim or replace the nutt