VG-99 - How to set it up

Started by Jim Williams, November 08, 2009, 04:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Williams

Hi Bob,
If I understand your questions I can answer them. first your controler issues.... you can set your hold pedal in the guitar to midi system section to any controle pedal you want I think the default is CTL 3 on the back of the VG-99. and you can set up any other cc# assigns in the patch settings of the guitar to midi. personaly I use a fs-6 and a ev-5 pedals for synth cc controles.

next question in the system\midi section set the PC to off this will keep your VG path changes from changeing the sonic cell patches. when you want the patches in the sonic cell to change set the program change in the guitar to midi patch section. and make sure you have a blank patch for the patches you don't want any synth sounds. so this is the pain part you have to set up the guitar to midi for each VG patch.

The VG-99 has some guitar to midi limitations but here are ways to get around them. you can't turn the guitar to midi on an off from patch and when you switch patch the sonic cell won't remember the controler position. I hope Roland will provide a firmware soloution for this soon. but in the meantime edit the sonic cell so that the correct values come up when you change patches.
Jimmy.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Jim Williams

Hey guys,
I have been playing with Forte on my laptop and Amplitube 3. Great sound, just import all thoes great guitar models in your audio input and use Amplitube instead of your VG amps and effects and you may like them better. setting up some of the midi is tricky but it's worth the effort you can even mix it up on some sceens use Amplitube and others use the VG stuff. Watch out for that input gain though.
Jimmy.

Jim Williams

Hey guys,
If you are looking for good guitar tone here are some good tips.

First lets set up your guitar model. on page 7 mix level you might want to set the cosm guitar to a lower level. the reason for this is that you don't have such a high output on some of thoes guitar pickups. If you set them too high they might all sound the same when you have some gainer settings. Remenber that every guitar is differnt and you can EQ your classic guitars differently. a 59 strat will sound much differnt when set beside a 69 strat. on some guitars each sting may have a differnt level also. The VG 99 has only a few differnt models but they are very exspanable through the EQs in the guitar models.

Next lets talk about amp models. They are all very good but without any tweeking they are too warm and smoothe. at first they don't sound like what they are trying to model and some of thier controls go far beond what that amp should do. try adding some EQ and boosting the 2k alittle this will give you a little more of a real amp tone (a tad more bite). In my posts I will often talk about the EQs case they are the most important effect in good tone.

Now lets talk about effects..... Less is more set your levels low and work your way up from there. Good tone is more important than effects.

Jimmy

Jim Williams

Now I have been playing around with VSTHost a bit In alot of ways it is better than Forte. First of all it is free and it dosent crash as much. You can do program changes called performances (about 6 seconds to load up your vst plugins depending on how many you use). I found some cab impulses and some programs to load them there lots of free stuff out there. the impulses are much better than the VG-99 cab sims. Some of the amp models blow COSM amps away. Mostly I use the VG99 for an ASIO interface and the guitar models. There are tones of great effect plugins out ther and you can really open up your tonal arsonal.

Hennisdk

Hi gtrjimmy412

What is the possibility that you could make a PDF manual for getting the VG to softsyth app to work, something a walk through step by step thing?

Hennis
Ibanez CT Series (Very Old)
Ibanez EDR470 Ergodyne - Cosmic Black (GK-3 PUP)
Epiphone Les Paul (Zakk Wylde)(GK-3 PUP)
Takamine EG523SCB (Warm sound with 12 Gauge Strings)

Line6 Spider IV 15 amp
Studio Monitors for VG-99

Roland VG-99
BOSS DS-1 Pedal
Sennheiser Wireless Guitar System

Jim Williams

Hey, I never wrote a PDF before but I give it a shot.

Hennisdk

Ibanez CT Series (Very Old)
Ibanez EDR470 Ergodyne - Cosmic Black (GK-3 PUP)
Epiphone Les Paul (Zakk Wylde)(GK-3 PUP)
Takamine EG523SCB (Warm sound with 12 Gauge Strings)

Line6 Spider IV 15 amp
Studio Monitors for VG-99

Roland VG-99
BOSS DS-1 Pedal
Sennheiser Wireless Guitar System