RC-300 - Circumvent “missing” RC-300 MIDI CC#s Using Midi Solutions Event Proc

Started by Ballad, June 04, 2016, 10:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad

Hit a new (to me) roadblock today. My new board layout relegated my Voicelive 2 unit to the back upper row.Even when it was (earlier board version) on the front row I found the harmony on/off pedal (which I use a lot) was hard to hit on the fly. I would hit others along with it. So back then I built an extension that capped the pedal and extended out from the front of my board. I could hit it drunk and in the dark.
   With the VL-2 now on the back, upper row that will no longer work. I figured I could assign a "CC# send" to an external pedal on my RC-300 and hit the harmony that way. The VL-2 needs CC#110 for that function. Problem is The RC-300 CC#s only go up to #95!
   I was advised by TC Helicon (very helpful) to use a Midi mapping unit and to send an available RC-300 CC# to be translated to the needed CC#110.
   Got myself a Midi Solutions Event Processor Plus and a Roland UM-1 interface (to program it from my computer).
   Everything installed fine, but I am a little out of my depth with the programming. No problem with inputting the CC# windows (going for CC#95 to CC#110) and still using MC 1. My confusion is with the drop down window with all the device options What does "undefined" mean? Don't see which option to choose for a straight old on/off foot pedal. Tried various combos. Seems like the RC-300 is sending (something), through the MSEP+, and the midi activity light flashes on the Voicelive...so something is getting there...but it seems, not quite the right something...the harmony on/off does not happen. Thoughts anyone?
Ballad:
GR-30, Voicelive 3X, Turbosound Inspire IP200 PA, Roland Ready Strat, Martin HD 28 w/Baggs I Beam. Digitech TRIO for Bass and drums.

shawnb

If I understand this right, you want to plug a pedal into the RC300, and have it transmit a CC95.  Then you want your MSEPP to change that CC95 into a CC110.   This will take two steps:

(1)  On the MSEPP, I think you need a simple map step created.  Tell it you want a map, and your FROM will be a CC95 and your TO will be a CC110.   It should look something like this:
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPmCtTJZMuz9awtqALTeMcvObsfHJb95u0gMdez

Don't forget to press the "Program the Event Processor Plus..." button to send your program to the MSEPP.  Your MSEPP must be connected & you must choose the right MIDI port for it to be programmed. 

(2)  On the RC-300, you need to define an assign. 
Your "Source" will be your pedal, either a CTL  or EXP, depending on what you're using. 
Your "Target" will be CC#95. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Ballad

shawnb. Yes, we are on the same page. I had done all that you suggest (kinda proud of myself)...I am hoping that the answer lies in your picture....but I can't open it. Any way to PM the pic or post it on the discussion? I sure appreciate your input. You are understanding exactly what I want to do. Just a simple momentary pedal on pedal #3 on the RC-300. I think my ignorance is not with the CC# map input itself but with the drop down box (MSEC+) offering "Modulation wheel, Breath Controller, Undefined...etc" Not sure what to choose there. I'm real close...
Ballad:
GR-30, Voicelive 3X, Turbosound Inspire IP200 PA, Roland Ready Strat, Martin HD 28 w/Baggs I Beam. Digitech TRIO for Bass and drums.

shawnb

Let's see if this works better...  Same pic... 

Just as an FYI, the MSEPP displays the "default"/"normal" usages for CCs along with their CC#s.  I think that's where the confusion is.   

Problem is some CCs are simply 'guidelines' (CC#7 for volume is fairly widely used) and some are critical and will likely alter downstream processing (CC#0 as part of a bank select).  Different products default to using these CCs in different ways, which can often lead to some unexpected quirkiness.   (As a matter of fact, I was just having issues with CC 23 randomly changing patches in Sampletank3... Solution: don't use CC#23 in SampleTank3...)

Don't be too surprised if a CC you thought was harmless operates your garage door opener...    ;D

The full table from the source - the  midi.org spec - is here:
https://www.midi.org/specifications/item/table-3-control-change-messages-data-bytes-2

Bottom line, most are guidelines.  Test 'em thoroughly to make sure there are no unanticipated downstream impacts. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Ballad

shawnb. Thanks so much. I don't feel so stupid now. What you set up in your pic is a little different to what i did...I'll try that first. if that doesn't work I will just wallow around in it a bit more and see if the force is with me. Good (and bad) to know that it is not a hard science.
Ballad:

Ballad

Ballad: