GP 10 T-Comp - setting?

Started by Singwas, April 13, 2016, 10:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Singwas

What or were is the "T-Comp" setting on real amp-models (VO, Tweed)? What does this setting do? (Amp-Compression - I know. But what is this on real amps)
GR 55
Godin LGXSA
Roland Testgitarre

Elantric

The "T-Comp" COSM Amp control  is a Roland/Boss  exclusive that is shared with the Boss GT-100 and not on the Genuine amp models

Set & Adjust to your liking
Move T-Comp counterclockwise for a tighter sound that can reproduce fast transients like a high wattage amp  , move T-Comp clockwise to duplicate more "squish" as a genuine low wattage tube amp provides.

read about it here
http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/gt-100_leaflet.pdf
QuoteVintage Amp reproduces every detail of masterpiece amps
The GT-100's newly enhanced Vintage Amp mode reproduces every detail of the tonal quality and playing feel
of vintage amps. You have 17 different types at your fingertips that cover a diverse range of masterpiece
amps. In addition, with T-Comp you can create sounds that emphasize the compression you get from tube
amps. Also, you can change your speaker and cab configuration as well as mic settings to customize your amp
any way you like — another advantage available only with COSM.

Singwas

GR 55
Godin LGXSA
Roland Testgitarre

carlb

If I understand its intent correctly, it's mimicking the effect of a tube rectifier.

Tube rectifiers lower B+ feeding the amp when the amp is pushed hard. It compresses the "impact," smoothing out the full-tilt response. Think blues-rock versus croak-metal.

I think the "T-comp" is to model anywhere from a stiff 1N4001 bridge rectifier to perhaps a 5Y3GT trying to feed four 6550s. (Don't try the latter for real.)

I've played with the "T" control, and the response seems to correspond to the above. My confusion is the "-10" to "+10" settings. I would think a better scale to be "0" (no sag) to "-10" (maximum sag).

A "real" amp that does some of this would be the Mesa Triple-Rectifier.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker