GP-10 - Nylon Real Acoustic Collection

Started by Autana, March 24, 2016, 06:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autana

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on March 24, 2016, 04:47:30 PM
Autana, Your playing is amazing and the Classical tones you have coaxed out of the GP10 make me want to take another look at the one I have. Thanks

Thanks whippinpost91850, glad to know you like the collection and playing. I hope your GP-10 looks great with the Spanish flamenco costume :)

GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Autana

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on March 25, 2016, 08:48:09 AM
Really great!!
Thanks

Thanks Bill!  I appreciate your words, invaluable coming from an excellent guitarist and producer! your recording tips and experience are pure gold as well. 
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Elantric

Bill Ruppert is extremely talented - but as a clarification, 

its Bill Baxendale in the UK(Separate-Strings) who is the resident Wishbone Ash Guru
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=182.0

http://www.youtube.com/user/BaxBreakoutBox
http://www.separate-strings.co.uk/

Autana

Quote from: Elantric on March 25, 2016, 01:54:29 PM
Bill Ruppert is extremely talented - but as a clarification, 

its Bill Baxendale in the UK(Separate-Strings) who is the resident Wishbone Ash Guru

Ooops!  thanks so much for clarifying!  I note some confusion and I had not taken the time to look at it. Yes, Bill Ruppert is amazing!   

- Tal Wilkenfeld -

whippinpost91850

tydacor

Fantastic sounding collection. Impressed me more than the roland factory presets. Keep up the good work. Thanks a lot.

Autana

- NyRAC PERFORMING TIPS  -

The authenticity of nylon acoustic guitar sound depends not only on the patch, also how the strings are played, the "attack" or "pulsacion" in Spanish. There is a noticeable difference between pick or Fingerstyle play. Also pick thickness, construction materials and many others factors may influence, but it could open a new devoted topic.
FWIW now, it is easy to note the nylon tone coming from commun synthetic picks tends to be artificial and "plastic sounding" and lacks of the natural brilliancy, clarity and articulation obtained by classical Fingerstyle playing, where the nail attack is combined with the fingertips flesh, which sounds  warm while exalts the best acoustic frequencies of nylon strings.

- Sometimes I use a trick for pick, which works very well especially on slow or not very fast melodic lines and some strumming. It consists in turn the pick slightly to an angle between 35 to 45 degrees with the string. I could not exactly explain the physical reason why this happen, but the sound produced this way closely resembles the Fingerstyle.

- Opposite to recommended for acoustic steel guitar, for nylon modeled tones I recommend a pick thickness of
2mm to 3mm. I personally use 3mm. Jim Dunlop Big Stubby. But that can vary for each player preferences.

IMAGES: Please check the pictures for better understanding.
AUDIO DEMOS: "Pick_no_angle.mp3"  is pick parallel with not angle with strings ,Pick_45_angle.mp3 is grabbing the pick in angle with strings, and "Fingerstyle.mp3".
In the fourth demo is another single line melodic phrase in sequence:   not angle pick attack/angle pick attack/Fingerstyle

I hope this is helpful to improve NyRAC performing experience.

- Tal Wilkenfeld -

alexmcginness

great stuff. Id like to hear what you can do with the steel string acoustic model. The Nylon patches are perfect. Thankyou so much. I may just have to buy a GP-10 now.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

CodeSmart

Also note: Autana uses pretty thick strings.
Strings 009-046 (like I've mostly been using while getting celebral damages due too much head-banging),
does'nt give the same warmth and expression with these nylon patches, especially on the G string.
I  understand the laws of physics and I don't blame the patches, instead I should get thicker strings...  ::)
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Elantric

QuoteAlso note: Autana uses pretty thick strings.

Autana, what brand/Gauge strings are on your Godin xtSA ?

abhijitnath

This is stunning stuff. Thank you SOOO much.

I found some of the piezo-ish attack went away when I loaded it into an impulse response plugin and loaded an IR of an acoustic guitar.Even more realistic!

Autana

Quote from: Elantric on March 26, 2016, 07:19:26 PM
Autana, what brand/Gauge strings are on your Godin xtSA ?

Important info  I left out! sorry.  I use different brand/Gauges in my guitars:

GODIN xtSA : at first I was using 0.10.5 ~ 0.52  but since two years ago I use now  standard light  .010~.046    because I was getting tiring with the amount of strings bending in my playing.  Favorite brand: CLEARTONE Electric Nickel Plated
http://www.cleartonestrings.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/9410-Cover.jpg

For the PRS Bernie Marsden I use ghs BOOMERS  0.10.5  ~ 0.50 David Gilmour signature for LP
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/stringsandbeyond/ghs-david-gilmour-signature-electric-guitar-strings-37.gif 
David's Stratocaster equivalent model strings are available too.

Quote from: CodeSmart on March 26, 2016, 04:47:49 PM
Also note: Autana uses pretty thick strings.
Strings 009-046 (like I've mostly been using while getting celebral damages due too much head-banging),
does'nt give the same warmth and expression with these nylon patches, especially on the G string.
I  understand the laws of physics and I don't blame the patches, instead I should get thicker strings...  ::)

hehehe  ... I am getting neuronal damages by to have change strings to all of my guitars every week ! (well ... I did weekly some years ago, now is monthly cuz the financial "wall" ..." 

While is true a higher diameter allows better dynamic expressive range, I also use thin gauges like 009 in some of my guitars, as my Ibanez RG570 and Hohner ST59 (superb strato clone) and although can feel difference with higher gauges like 0.10 0.11 and so, the really important factor to me is the string height/action.

Hohner ST59: Ernie Ball Hybrid set: 0.09 ~ 0.46
http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/750/EB2222-large.jpg

Ibanez RG570:  CLEARTONE  0.09 ~ 0.46 
http://www.cleartonestrings.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/9419-Cover.jpg

Although I use those guitars in many styles too, I only play occasional shreed styles, legato, tapping, sweeps etc. these techniques aren't  part of my everyday vocabulary, as are blues, trad. rock, jazz, acoustic, so I adjust the action of the strings a bit high without being over, and so I can keep getting the thickness and body I like for my sound while the smaller gauge makes things easier :) but for the most of my music I am into 0.10 0.10.5 0.11 y my Epiphone JoePass with 0.12 for "pure" jazz styles.

I record this sample with the Hohner ST59  with 009~046 and GK-3, high action  compensate body loss. NyRAC patch: Nylon Concert. 

Action at the 1st fret         E Low string .029"    E high     .011"    
Action at the 12th fret    E Low string .081"     E high       .066"

- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Elantric

Thanks for sharing all the Strings & gauge details!

Autana

Quote from: alfstone on March 25, 2016, 02:46:12 AM
Autana,
your patches are really, really, REALYY WONDERFUL!!!
So, many congrats, many many thanks and coffee & croissant paid for you!  :D
Since you're so good at programming acoustic sounds on GP-10, what about doing the same with acoustics and 12-strings?
I can't imagine the quality of sounds you would achieve with those guitar sounds too!

BRAVO!!!

Alfredo

Thanks Alfredo!  maybe I take the coffee & croissant invitation in person, I will move to Europe hopefully in a few months, Spain :)

Quote from: starrats on March 25, 2016, 10:40:37 AM
WOW. At last no reason for midi sampled flamenco. Wish i could say this about steel acoustic after release  of nextgen vg system.

Quote from: alexmcginness on March 26, 2016, 05:40:39 AM
great stuff. Id like to hear what you can do with the steel string acoustic model. The Nylon patches are perfect. Thankyou so much. I may just have to buy a GP-10 now.

Thanks. I am glad likes the collection. I hope be useful and bring real acoustic fun to everyone :)
After reading this quotes, I'm curious about what you would wish or what should be improved in the already available GP-10 steel acoustic guitars patches. This question is open to anyone who wants to comment, it would serve me as reference.

- Tal Wilkenfeld -

starrats

For me acoustic GB45 model sounds a bit better than martin played on cheap chinese Gretsch copy with .12 jazz strings. On strat I preferred D28.
Personally I don't believe if there is actually any room for at least tiny improvment regarding acoustic models. It will always sound fake with apparent percusive magnetic pickup attack....But You are a true magician Autana. So keep doing your job and our vg community will keep our fingers crossed.

gvidelock

Thanks so much for sharing these fantastic patches!

My wife, who has heard me go through 35 years of synth, pedals, amps and guitars, said that the patch I was playing at the time (NylonSmooth) really sounded like a nylon string guitar (she was in another room and heard it through my reference monitor)...and for me, when my greatest critic says that...well...it's a keeper.

Can't wait to try it out tomorrow night at rehearsal.

-------------------------

Godin Spectrum SA
Godin Freeway SA
Fender Telecaster with Ghost and Hexpander
Fender Stratocaster with internal GK3 with Synth-Linx
Warmoth custom with internal GK3
Boss SY-1000
Roland GR-55
Roland GP-10
Katana 100W Head

Autana

Quote from: gvidelock on March 28, 2016, 06:32:55 PM
Thanks so much for sharing these fantastic patches!

My wife, who has heard me go through 35 years of synth, pedals, amps and guitars, said that the patch I was playing at the time (NylonSmooth) really sounded like a nylon string guitar (she was in another room and heard it through my reference monitor)...and for me, when my greatest critic says that...well...it's a keeper.

Can't wait to try it out tomorrow night at rehearsal.
I'm glad you like it, hope bring real acoustic fun to you!
Is very nice you say it of your wife! but here I am the MAN and the guitar player and I always say the last word !!: "OK sweetheart"   ;D  :P
Seriously, I understand you, my wife has been a key factor in my career, although we do not always agree, most of times I ended up deciding what she suggested. Well, she is a singer besides architect, and knows every sound, tool and instrument in my studio and rehearsal room (when she cleans up there, I have to fly with my Spanish guitar to roost singing "But I'm Still The King") BTW her fine hearing was always attentive in the making of NyRAC!

- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Autana

Quote from: Elantric on March 26, 2016, 09:04:33 PM
Thanks for sharing all the Strings & gauge details!

Your welcome. Forgot to say by budget care I reserve the high end string brands for important recording sessions, but usually have no problem using enuff renowned quality brands. Being D'Addario 010-046 the "good for all" for daily routine use. The .012 set in my archtop jazz box last long, I tend to re-strings it every 4 or 5 months as is not my most used guitar.

- Tal Wilkenfeld -

alfstone

Quote from: Autana on March 27, 2016, 05:25:06 PM
After reading this quotes, I'm curious about what you would wish or what should be improved in the already available GP-10 steel acoustic guitars patches. This question is open to anyone who wants to comment, it would serve me as reference.

Autana, no particular wish at all. The fact is that we all - I think - appreciated how much TRUE and realistic are the classical sounds you have obtained, so...my only wish is that you may obtain similar results with steel string guitar sounds, that's all...

Alfredo

stratrat

Thanks for these Autana. I'm going to try the GR-55 versions with my  Carvin NS-1 Nylon. I usually use the summed piezo output with a Fishman Aura for nylon sounds, but these look like fun to play with.

Elantric

QuoteI'm going to try the GR-55 versions with my  Carvin NS-1 Nylon

Curious how that might work - typically a genuine Nylon string GK guitar as a controller often yields a different sonic experience when auditioning most patches created by a Steel String GK Controller.

Despite the hype - the underlying guitar and string type plays a major role in your resulting DSP modeled guitar sound

stratrat

I find that too. But I'm not beyond tweaking until I'm happy (in fact, having a tweaking challenge makes me happy). For covers I have complete duplicate sets of patches for Strat and nylon, each tweaked to be similar enough to get away with so I can use either guitar, depending on mood.

Itching to try these, but have to finish some mixing for a client first.

Autana

Quote from: Elantric on March 29, 2016, 03:49:26 PM
Curious how that might work - typically a genuine Nylon string GK guitar as a controller often yields a different sonic experience when auditioning most patches created by a Steel String GK Controller.

Interesting subject, when I was creating the first NyRAC patches could try 2 or 3 with my Godin multiac (ACS-SA) which at that moment had very worn strings (I didn't continue testing in those conditions) the result sound was another thing that xtSA or GK-3, dark and lifeless! surprising if naively we thought "but there are nylon strings !! and curiously, acoustic steel guitars patches sound fantastic with my Multiac! so I agree with Elantric remark about a different sonic experience compared to metal stringed controllers.  I'm waiting for new nylon strings set from the supplier, as soon as restring Multiac with fresh set I will do a full test and report.

- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Vade

+1
Now that I'm not quite so busy, I wanted to add my voice to the chorus of thanks Autana. The patches and video are obviously a labor of time, effort, and love; we're all the better for your efforts.  Now all I have to do is spend 5 hours a day practicing for the next 20 years and then my playing might do your patches justice!
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

Autana

Quote from: Vade on March 29, 2016, 06:51:16 PM
+1
Now that I'm not quite so busy, I wanted to add my voice to the chorus of thanks Autana. The patches and video are obviously a labor of time, effort, and love; we're all the better for your efforts. Now all I have to do is spend 5 hours a day practicing for the next 20 years and then my playing might do your patches justice!

Thanks Vade!  I am glad you like it, I read and enjoy every of your post!
About to do patch justice, 20 years ??  :o  please, you will discouraged NyRAC users #LOL .  Seriously, I don't think you're going to need even three days for play something like this little piece.
I record it on the fly while reading your words :)  with my Loop Station. (GP-10) Rhythm guitar: Nylon Concert,  melodic guitar: Nylon South,  Strings:GR-55.

- Tal Wilkenfeld -