GT-100 - Four cable method - Drive amp but produce low volume

Started by johnnyninja, September 28, 2015, 11:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyninja

I'm thinking about getting a tube amp and using the GT100 for effects. Is it possible to set the volume of the amp high but attenuate the volume through the gt100 for lower level practice? I assume this can be done with the volume pedal but I wonder if the tone suffers in any way. Thoughts or experience?

johnnyninja

Yes. I had one and they are very good. I thought that I may be able to get creative with the levels to do the same thing, or at least get the same result.

Thanks

Elantric

The saturation of the final output transformer plays a large role in Tube Amp sound - and you will chase your tail if trying to skip this aspect of your tone.

If you simply want to play at low volume  - other schemes introduce a new set of compromises.

No to hijack the topic  But I will say - my new Vpypr Pro 100  / Sanpera Pro is easy to dial down the decibel level and still get great tone  and use XLR out feed into my Alesis Alpha 112A duplicates the FOH PA sound - its a genuine  problem solver for me - as I find myself playing gigs where I need ultra Fast setup  / teardown.

I intend to make mods to accommodate my needs  - but it has compromises ( no stereo FX)

More here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13562.0     

gumtown

That Driven tube amp  tone and feel won't happen unless the tube amp is driven hard,
which is good at home if you have a little 3~5 watt tube amp,
but something like a 150 watt Mesa dual rectifier amp is going cause complaint from the neighbours and be hard on the ears before you can get it's tone dialled in.

Some super inefficient speakers would be handy.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

CodeSmart

Quote from: gumtown on September 28, 2015, 01:35:05 PM
Some super inefficient speakers would be handy.
Remembering my youth there were a couple of guys in my town running their Marshall amp through some VERY big potentiometers (at least I think it was), the turning knob was the size if my hand. They put their 100W+ amps in full throttle and adjusted the volume with the large knob.
This thing was so hot you couldn't touch the metal casing of it. But it worked, they got plenty great distortion at medium or even low volume  ;D
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Elantric

And most "in the know" recall EVH used to plug his Marshall Plexi 50 Watt head into a Variac set for 85 Volts AC ( I saw this myself at Gazzaris in Hollywood in 1976)   
http://www.iseincstore.com/3pn1210b-dvmvariabletransformer120vacsinglephaseinput0-120vacoutput12acasedmodelwithcordplugreceptaclelightedswitchfuseand.aspx

whippinpost91850

admin

If you live in USA with 117 VAC Mains -try the Variac @ 85 Volts setting

If you live in Eurasia with 220 VAC Mains -try the Variac @ 185 Volts setting