GP-10 - Marshall DSL 100

Started by Jim Williams, August 02, 2015, 06:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Williams

Here are 3 patches I have been working on for a bit. They are for the purpose of Matching the sound of my Marshall DSL 100 with 1960A cab for recording. This is so I don't have to mic up the cab and can get the sounds of the amp in the studio. I miced up the cab and Recorded it and tweaked the patches until they were close to the original and I must say they are very convincing in a mix. There are no effects or assigns so I can use then as templates for recording. The DSL 100 is basically a hot rodded JCM 800 sound so some of you might find the patches useful for that kind of sound with some adjustments in the gain and EQ. The sound is the way I like my amp to sound so feel free to set it up to your liking. The patches are for normal pickups and I have the level set at about 50% to match the level of COSM guitars and it makes the patches less noisy. There is no noise gate because I hate gates they get in the way when you your volume and tone knobs for tone and dynamics and I wanted it to be like using a real amp. In the clean patch I set up the spring reverb very close the real Marshall spring reverb but it is shut off. you can turn it on if you like and copy the settings to the other patches. Have fun.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

roachone

Look forward to giving these a go. Thanks Jim!

jwhitcomb3

Great sounding patches! 

I was demoing the unit to a buddy who was unimpressed with the Marshall models, but said your patches nailed the Marshall tone.

Excellent work. Thanks for sharing.

Jim Williams

Well, I am getting close but nothing is like real valves. I am still trying to get it better but it is tough with the cab emulations compared to a real cab in the room.

whippinpost91850

Quote from: Jim Williams on August 23, 2015, 05:32:04 AM
Well, I am getting close but nothing is like real valves. I am still trying to get it better but it is tough with the cab emulations compared to a real cab in the room.

You just got to realize you're hearing a miced cab, just like you hear on nearly every record or concert you've ever been to. It'll never be 100 percent like a cab in the room, just extremely close 8)

Jim Williams

I put a sm58 on the cab and made a track and that is what I am comparing it to.

Jim Williams

Here are 2 clips one of them is the GP-10 and the other is a real Marshall DSL 100 with a mic on a 1960a 4X12 cab. They sound different but witch one is the real Marshall? but the real question is, witch one would sound better in a mix?

I think I am getting closer...

whippinpost91850

Jim Williams

I think I nailed it this time. I may even use this one in the studio over Bias Desktop. ;D

roachone

holy smoke! that is really close. I'll use this for sure. Thanks so much

DML

I'm totally missing that top end fizz, which you can hear on your second clip, I presume that is the real thing.
Boss GT-1000core, Gibson Explorer 2018, Höfner travel guitar, 4x Framus Renegade Pro, Framus Panthera, Framus Panthera Custom 7, G&L Asat, Rocktron/Egnater Velocity Valve, 2x Mesa Thiele EVM12L, 2x Mesa Thiele EVM12L Road Ready, Voes MX12 midi controller, Ovation 2078TX-5 Elite, PJB Cub II - AG150.

wackyjacky

I was going to thank you for the 3 patches - but then realised I'd only tried the 1st version(s) - and those were great!

Thanks again!

Jim Williams

Well thanks guys I have been doing some side by side with the real thing. The problem is that you can't capture that high end fizz easily and the natural breakup of a speaker. I get a better sound when I shut off the cab and run the pre amp through my wall of sound plugin inside my DAW. Roland needs to have a 3rd party IR loader in future units, that is the only way to go.

DML

On the contrary, it is very easy to get that high end fizz. Listen to this small Plexi sample below, it's just the MS1959 I+II model, medium gain, a little bit of EQ, delay and reverb. Nothing special.
From 0.00 to 0.12 it's the "standard" speaker simulation, then I'm dialing in some fizzyness which you can here from 0.14 to 0.24, then back again to standard speaker simulation and from about 0.31 you can clearly hear I'm dialing in the fizz.
As a matter of fact all of my patches which use (hi) gain amp models are pretty much the same, when it comes to this type of "speaker-sim-with-real-deal-fizz". It's my little secret to get a far more realistic sound, that blends very well in the mix, a secret that I'm using since the GT-8 ;)

https://soundcloud.com/jeff-sado/plexi-fizz

Btw, this is a GT-001 recording but it works and sounds exactly the same with a GP-10.
You can hear the difference at best with a good quality headphone or top notch studio monitors. With build in lap top speakers there's not much to win for :)
Boss GT-1000core, Gibson Explorer 2018, Höfner travel guitar, 4x Framus Renegade Pro, Framus Panthera, Framus Panthera Custom 7, G&L Asat, Rocktron/Egnater Velocity Valve, 2x Mesa Thiele EVM12L, 2x Mesa Thiele EVM12L Road Ready, Voes MX12 midi controller, Ovation 2078TX-5 Elite, PJB Cub II - AG150.

Jim Williams

please share your secret..... I figure that you are mixing in the direct mix a little from the cab section. I think the GP-10 lacks this parameter.

Jim Williams

I am sorry apparently it does have that parameter after all. I will have to try that.

DML

That's exactly the secret. Just dial in 10 - 15% max direct mix with the speaker sim signal and you'll get that fizz. Simple as that.
In the mix it really opens up the sound, especially in live situations.