Fractal Audio AX8 - floor based modeler

Started by mchad, February 22, 2015, 02:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DF400

Price point is lower than I expected as well. I will likely pick up an AX8 to replace my awesome (but aging) AxeFx Ultra. I don't use the use the more exotic effects anyway, and do not have a need for two (let alone 4) amp models. For me it's all about authenticity, and it's hard to beat Fractal for great tone and modeling. I guess to each their own, I'm sure both will be great choices.

Elantric

mbenigni

Quote from: DF400 on October 05, 2015, 05:39:59 PM
Price point is lower than I expected as well. I will likely pick up an AX8 to replace my awesome (but aging) AxeFx Ultra. I don't use the use the more exotic effects anyway, and do not have a need for two (let alone 4) amp models. For me it's all about authenticity, and it's hard to beat Fractal for great tone and modeling. I guess to each their own, I'm sure both will be great choices.

It's an attractive package, no two ways about it.  Does anyone have any sense of wait time for the AX8 yet?

Panthersn

Impressive!!  So the main difference between this and the helix (besides User interface) Impulse response modeling vs component level modeling similar to Bias and ReValver?  I sure do envy you guys that can get a first hand look at this stuff   8)

Elantric

I played through all of them and I was there 8 hours both days

If you missed it - read my report here
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/helix-vs-ax8.1598716/page-16#post-20701443
I had a great time at the LA Amp show

Had a chance to to spend time playing thru and listening to the AX-FX, AX-8, Helix, Amplifire, THR-100 DSP Modeler Amp/FX modeler systems

In a nut shell I felt the Helix provided sounds that remain in Line-6 territory - in other words, I'll keep my HD500X for what it does with Tyler Variax and DT-50
I played the Atomic Amplifire, and it sounded very good - best sounding $600 floor modeler today)
I played the THR100, for me it sounded and felt like a large gigible version of the sounds and feel of the THR-10 ( which is a good thing!)

I was most blown away with Fractal AX-8 - with the Quantum firmware. (And I'm a Kemper owner )
I evaluated my needs what is missing in my present guitar toolset - evaluated the features and did the math, checked my bank and was able to have its more complete big brother (AXE-FX II Ultra+ and MFC-101) travel home with me from the show.
I will still keep my Kemper as a studio tool, and Vypyr Pro for hostile environment gigs, but IMHO the Fractal Quantum firmware has really raised the bar in 2015 IMHO - enough to have me contact my banker

But the AX-8 is a lot of sound and will satisfy most live gig needs

Elantric

QuoteDoes anyone have any sense of wait time for the AX8 yet?

they sold out at the LA Amp Show, and took many orders.

QuoteAvailability
"Waiting list opens this week. Units should start shipping before end of month."
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/105021-ax-8-price.html#post1256220

But I figure if You place an order today - thanksgiving is the ballpark delivery time

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II_Wiki_Home

mbenigni

QuoteI figure if You place an order today - thanksgiving is the ballpark delivery time

That's not bad at all.

Panthersn

QuoteIn a nut shell I felt the Helix provided sounds that remain in Line-6 territory

Ouch I was afraid of that, so there wasn't a notable difference between Line 6 HD & HX?  Slick marketing.......Lot's of marketing.

mchad

I may have missed it but what is the effect list?

Elantric

Fractal Audio LA Amp Show 2015 GoPro Supercut
GoPros were keeping one eye open during the LA Amp Show for the debut of the AX8...here's some of what they saw and heard.

FWIW - at 00:55 minute Thats Pat Quilter on dual neck Fender Lap Steel.

Elantric

jem7sk

Just curious Elantric... You've played most everything... have you ever used a Roctron Prophesy?  I have one and really enjoy it through a Velocity 300 into two 4x12s in stereo.  Would I be able to run the Audio AX8 through the Velocity the same way and how would it compare?  I really like the Prophecy but it is hard to edit and has no foot controller so something like the AX8 could possible be perfect.

Elantric

Never touched a Rocktfon Prophecy to have an opinion

I understand it was developed by same team that developed the new ISP Theta Pro DSP , but they must have a younger team now since they nearly forgot to include MIDI I/O control on the new box - (last minute addition tacked on the left side now)
http://www.isptechnologies.com/portfolio/theta-pro-dsp/

Panthersn

In your opinion what do you think would be a  realistic ship date?  I'm on the waiting list (got my conformation email yesterday), before Christmas or sometime in the first quarter of 2016.  Not sure if all the production problems in China were ironed out.  Rumors are all over the place, but at the price I'm guessing the waiting list is mighty deep.  8)

Elantric

if you ordered AX-8 back on Oct 6 when the official wait list became active I suspect if you would get one before end of year -

But today its a different story
Id inquire here
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ax8/ax8-discussion/

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ax8-discussion/105678-realistically-when-2.html
QuoteThey will announce shipping dates for all waitlist persons on the forum the week of the 24th

guitarno

Quote from: Elantric on October 06, 2015, 09:36:35 AM

In a nut shell I felt the Helix provided sounds that remain in Line-6 territory

I was most blown away with Fractal AX-8 - with the Quantum firmware. (And I'm a Kemper owner )

I saw this when you posted it on one of the Helix threads on TGP. I had a Helix on pre-order which had yet to be delivered at the time, and was a little dismayed by your Helix comment. :o  After having had it for the last 2 weeks and trying it for myself, I must say personally that I agree with your assesment. While I had high hopes for it and I think it is a lot better than the Pods before it,  I am struggling to get tones that I think are great out of it. ::)  I don't think they compare favorably with clips I've heard from the Kemper and AXE units, at least not for me.

While I am not saying it has "Bad" tone, I'm wondering if Line 6's take on amp modeling is just simply not my cup of tea after all. I am on the list for the AX8, and am pretty much resigned to sending the Helix back and calling it a day.

I hate to give up some of the Helix's other features such as the slick interface, dual amps, and USB support, but I can easily do without all of that if the tone and feel is more satisfying and inspiring. 8)
Suhr Classic Pro SSS, PRS Hollowbody II Piezo, Breedlove Oregon Concerto E, Fractal FM3, Mesa Boogie LoneStar Special

Elantric

I found it a struggle to land on "great tones" with the Helix during my Demo. I have the same opinion of every other Line 6 product too - and (sadly) yes I can directly compare them as I still own them.

Meanwhile with the Fractal I can go gig on 1st day of ownership. And Kemper still has the closest thing to the real Tube Amp tone and feel ( Axe-FX / AX-8 work similar in this aspect for me as well )

But Helix requires far more effort ( struggle) to diminish the default harsh amp tones, yet still never delivers the " tube amp touch response under the fingers" experience that both the Kemper or Fractal excel and deliver in 2015.     

Myself, I have an easier time landing on usable amp modeling tones with the GP-10, compared to Helix 

Panthersn

QuoteI found it a struggle to land on "great tones" with the Helix during my Demo. I have the same opinion of every other Line 6 product too - and (sadly) yes I can directly compare them as I still own them.

Couldn't agree more, I spent a fair amount of time trying to dial in some usable tones and also purchased Red Wire full library of IRs.  In the end the UI was great but it still sounded like a Line 6 product.  I did a head to head test with Bias FX (ipad & Alesis iOMIX) and my trusty VG-99 both myself playing and a few friends tried it out, one is a 500x owner.  There wasn't enough difference to justify the $1,500...  Just my opinion.

Test guitars:  Seymour duncan Jazz humbuckers, another guitar with Dimarzio EJ customs, third had Duncan blackouts.

Looking forward to the AX8.

I don't mind dialing in tones out of the box but not to the extent of the Helix.

guitarno

Quote from: Elantric on October 26, 2015, 12:12:57 PM
I found it a struggle to land on "great tones" with the Helix during my Demo. I have the same opinion of every other Line 6 product too - and (sadly) yes I can directly compare them as I still own them.

Meanwhile with the Fractal I can go gig on 1st day of ownership. And Kemper still has the closest thing to the real Tube Amp tone and feel ( Axe-FX / AX-8 work similar in this aspect for me as well )

But Helix requires far more effort ( struggle) to diminish the default harsh amp tones, yet still never delivers the " tube amp touch response under the fingers" experience that both the Kemper or Fractal excel and deliver in 2015.     

Myself, I have an easier time landing on usable amp modeling tones with the GP-10, compared to Helix

Quote from: Panthersn on October 27, 2015, 05:47:01 PM
Couldn't agree more, I spent a fair amount of time trying to dial in some usable tones and also purchased Red Wire full library of IRs.  In the end the UI was great but it still sounded like a Line 6 product.  I did a head to head test with Bias FX (ipad & Alesis iOMIX) and my trusty VG-99 both myself playing and a few friends tried it out, one is a 500x owner.  There wasn't enough difference to justify the $1,500...  Just my opinion.

Looking forward to the AX8.

I don't mind dialing in tones out of the box but not to the extent of the Helix.

I decided this was a lost cause and sent the Helix back today. I agree that it is easier to get good tones from my GP-10 than the Helix. Better than the HD500 in a number of ways but definitely not a $1000 improvement IMHO.::)  I am on the AX8 list so hopefully my name will come up before too long. I'm sure that will be a big step up from the Helix in terms of tone and feel.  8)
Suhr Classic Pro SSS, PRS Hollowbody II Piezo, Breedlove Oregon Concerto E, Fractal FM3, Mesa Boogie LoneStar Special

Elantric

Elantric

mchad

Elantric

QuoteCan you do a short AX-8 review at some stage Elantric?

No - unless they send me one to review. (dont hold your breath)

I did play through an AX8 last October at LA amp show - and liked what i heard, ( my first hands on exposure to anything by Fractal Audio)
The opportunity  to purchase an AXE-FX II at a show special discount,  without the typical  12 week waiting list I did influence my purchase  decision.
But no USB recording interface on both Kemper and AX-8 ( and at the pre-release AX8 i saw lacked the Looper), I decided the  AXE-FXII+MFC-101 combo was a better fit for my needs - and still feel the same.