Boss GP-10 - Roland Blog Comments / Answers

Started by Elantric, July 01, 2014, 12:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://www.rolandus.com/blog/2014/03/14/gp-10-guitar-processor/#more-10935

20 COMMENTS
Dariusz kowalczyk
JUN 20, 2014    @ 05:50:20
Is this USB port is a USB MIDI Class Compliant ?
Does the "Guitar Out" will be work the same as in the GR-55 ?

Product Support [Roland]
JUN 23, 2014    @ 11:54:31
The Guitar Out functions on the GP-10 are a little different from those in the GR-55: there are no system or per patch parameters to assign the "normal PU" to the guitar out or to the Main outs. On the GP-10, the direct guitar sound is split; one signal bypasses the processor and is output only to the Guitar Out jack, whether it comes from the GK pickup or from the Guitar Input on the back of the GP-10. The other goes to the processor and is output at the Main outs. If there is connection to the Guitar Output jack, you will have no affected guitar signal.

Dariusz kowalczyk
JUN 16, 2014    @ 04:19:49
What are the delays (latency) in Guitar to MIDI mode compared to the GR-55?
Is the GP-10 is here faster than the GR-55?

Product Support [Roland]
JUN 18, 2014    @ 15:44:16
We expect the MIDI processing time in the GP-10 to be the same as in the GR-55.

Sérgio
JUN 12, 2014    @ 15:17:18
Hi! No PCM means no piano sound? If not, how can i have this sounds on the GP-10? Thank

Product Support [Roland]
JUN 18, 2014    @ 15:43:26
If you want to use PCM sounds with a GP-10 you can use its guitar-to-MIDI functions to play the sounds from a USB enabled MIDI sound module or soft synth on your computer. If you need internal PCM sounds, the Roland GR-55 has the same modeling and alt. tunings features as the GP-10, plus two on-board sound modules, each with 910 PCM sounds.

Ty Gerhardt
JUN 11, 2014    @ 17:36:57
It was supposed to be available end of April or early May...now they're saying early July. I finally got tired of waiting and canceled my order and just bought a GR-55 instead. The GR will probably suit my needs better anyway.

Dariusz kowalczyk
JUN 11, 2014    @ 03:31:26
Is it possible to treat the GP-10 as a simpler version of the GR-55?

Product Support [Roland]
JUN 11, 2014    @ 17:32:19
The GP-10 is essentially the Modeling, USB and MIDI functions of the GR-55 with some extra features; if you are familiar with those parts of the GR-55, you will be very familiar with the GP-10. Another way to look at it: the GP-10 is much like a GR-55 without the PCM sounds and bass synth functions.

VVG88
JUN 02, 2014    @ 14:47:27
Will there be two signal chains as on VG-99, meaning I can set two cosm instruments at the same time? I am mostly interested in bass on low strings and guitar on upper.

Product Support [Roland]
JUN 04, 2014    @ 10:29:51
The GP-10 does not have dual signal paths as the VG-99 has, so it does not have the ability to produce two COSM instruments at the same time.

dan
MAY 23, 2014    @ 07:20:46
Is it possible to control the sounds of virtual instruments (Kontakt) with the Boss GP 10?
Thank you.

Product Support [Roland]
MAY 23, 2014    @ 13:35:56
The GP-10 converts guitar to MIDI, and can send pitch, velocity and cc data. You can have each string send this data on a separate MIDI channel for six different channels at once (called MIDI Mono mode), or have all the strings on the same channel if you choose (MIDI Poly mode).

Snooki-dookie
MAY 22, 2014    @ 06:34:10
God forbid being able to get the same fx on each of them, what were you thinking,that would make sense,dah!

sumon
APR 14, 2014    @ 22:12:30
I need to know the orginal price of gp-10 guitar synth processor plz send the price to my email and how can i get pice need to know thanks

Product Support [Roland]
APR 15, 2014    @ 11:16:56
Hi Summon,

Sorry, we do not sell direct. We rely on dealers to sell Roland products. Please visit our Dealer Locator tool to find the nearest dealer in your area that could give you a price.

Alex Ebus
APR 07, 2014    @ 08:50:43
Hello,

Will it have all of the effects and amps from the GT-100/GT-001 onboard, so you could use the created patches on the GP-10 ?

Greets Alex

Product Support [Roland]
APR 07, 2014    @ 15:04:02
The GP-10 and GT-100 have different amps, effects and operating systems, so it is not possible to swap patches with a GT-100 or GT-001.

Kelly
MAR 21, 2014    @ 08:30:17
When is it available? They didn't know anything about it at my local Guitar Center

Product Support [Roland]
MAR 31, 2014    @ 16:19:30
We expect the GP-10 to be available around the end of April or early May.

Best Regards,

Product Support
Roland/BOSS U.S.

thebrushwithin

QuoteIs this USB port is a USB MIDI Class Compliant ?

No answer from Roland, which must mean no.

whippinpost91850

20 COMMENTS
Dariusz kowalczyk
JUN 20, 2014    @ 05:50:20
Is this USB port is a USB MIDI Class Compliant ?

I guess no answer means no :'(

Elantric

I guess no answer means no :'(

Confirmed  - the Boss GP-10 USB port is NOT USB MIDI Class Compliant

EDIT:
Yes - turns out Boss GP-10 is MIDI Class Compliant!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11854.msg85821;topicseen#msg85821

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on July 01, 2014, 04:20:25 PM
Confirmed  - the Boss GP-10 USB port is NOT USB MIDI Class Compliant

Which leaves this response less than satisfactory IMO:

QuoteIf you want to use PCM sounds with a GP-10 you can use its guitar-to-MIDI functions to play the sounds from a USB enabled MIDI sound module or soft synth on your computer

What they mean in the former case is, "use its guitar-to-MIDI functions to play the sounds from a USB enabled MIDI sound module and your computer."  I.e. lug (and put your faith in) some redundant gear.

mbenigni

QuoteThe Guitar Out functions on the GP-10 are a little different from those in the GR-55: there are no system or per patch parameters to assign the "normal PU" to the guitar out or to the Main outs. On the GP-10, the direct guitar sound is split; one signal bypasses the processor and is output only to the Guitar Out jack, whether it comes from the GK pickup or from the Guitar Input on the back of the GP-10. The other goes to the processor and is output at the Main outs. If there is no connection to the Guitar Output jack, you will have no affected guitar signal.

Functionally, I can't see where this is all that different from the GR55, except in so far as the GR55 doesn't have a Guitar In.  But I wonder if this description implies that the Guitar Out will be better isolated from the DSP path, and therefore quieter than the notorious GR55 Guitar Out?

P.S. And the very last sentence of this quote doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.  Can anyone clarify?

mbenigni

QuoteThe GP-10 is essentially the Modeling, USB and MIDI functions of the GR-55 with some extra features; if you are familiar with those parts of the GR-55, you will be very familiar with the GP-10. Another way to look at it: the GP-10 is much like a GR-55 without the PCM sounds and bass synth functions.

Would it be wishful thinking to hope the MIDI/SysEx implementation is the same for shared features.  How cool would it be if my TouchOSC template could be pared down and used with the GP-10 as well?  Of course, I'd need to work around the absence of 5-pin MIDI first.  (Grrr.)

Elantric

QuoteBut I wonder if this description implies that the Guitar Out will be better isolated from the DSP path, and therefore quieter than the notorious GR55 Guitar Out?

We already know the Boss GP-10 "Guitar Out" is identical to the VG-99 "Guitar Out"

Its more like the typical "Tuner Out" on older gear - simply a buffered Dry Normal Guitar Out.

Therefore this Roland Support statement is True

QuoteIf there is connection to the Guitar Output jack, you will have no affected guitar signal.

Which is "Roland Speak" for:
The Boss GP-10 Guitar Output jack is simply a buffered Dry Normal Guitar Out.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11566.0

mbenigni

QuoteWe already know the Boss GP-10 "Guitar Out" is identical to the VG-99 "Guitar Out"

So I guess this an improvement, then?  I thought the GR55 implementation was functionally the same thing, but somehow they managed to induce a pile of line noise there.

QuoteTherefore this Roland Support statement is True

LOL I still find it... oblique, at any rate.  Or maybe a truism?  If I don't connect to the Guitar Output then I have no affected guitar signal?  I should think no signal at all.  Moreover, that signal wouldn't be "affected" when it was connected, by my understanding.  (Not important, obviously, just having fun picking the words apart.)

Elantric

QuoteI thought the GR55 implementation was functionally the same thing, but somehow they managed to induce a pile of line noise there.

The GR-55 "Guitar Out" employs a very different approach - as it was intended to offer the new exciting option of Direct COSM Modeling / Alt Tuning Output Mode - (think of the GR-55 Guitar Output jack working just like the output jack on a Line 6 Variax) 

But the final production GR-55 PCB board layout lack adequate decoupling of Analog Ground vs Digital Ground in the DAC circuitry - rendering too much hiss, noise and poor SNR to be usable for most users.

Roland /Boss decided to skip fixing the bad GR-55 Guitar Output signal path design, and revert to a more basic approach  - borrowed directly from the VG-99's Guitar output circuit design   

mbenigni

QuoteThe GR-55 "Guitar Out" employs a very different approach - as it was intended to offer the new exciting option of Direct COSM Modeling / Alt Tuning Output Mode

Oh right, I forgot the Guitar Out had COSM guitars in addition to magnetic pickup signal.  The distinction makes sense now.