DIY USB Host ? (FCB1010 to Zoom B3)

Started by btotheurban, April 22, 2015, 07:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btotheurban

Hey guys!
I am totally new to the whole Midi-DIY thing, so don´t be mad about dump questions please ;)

I want to change the patches of my Zoom B3 with a FCB1010. Therefore I need an USB Host device, but most of them are really expensive.

Is the arduino board or the tweensy a reliable option? I already tried a raspberry, but it didn´t work this good...

Thank you

MusicOverGear

I'm thinking it would be easy with Pi the exact same way people are using it with the GP-10 - many threads on this, though you really don't need much info. I had a G3 and the MIDI portion was plug-and-play. If I were you I would set up the following hardware and follow the instructions on the various GP-10/Pi threads.

FCB1010 > Any tiny, cheap USB interface > Raspberry Pi > USB Cable > B3

Arduino I think there is an actual USB Host shield and I know there is lots of existing code you can cut and paste for your needs. This is the very first thing I found with Google, which seems extremely relevant to your project http://www.circuitsathome.com/mcu/interfacing-midi-devices-with-arduino-using-usb-host-shield

There are lots of DIY programmable modules nowadays. At least one of them must have USB host capability??? Also I would not be at all surprised if someone was making a finished midi foot controller that is also a USB host.

Or if you want to use your back muscles instead of brain muscles, do what I am probably going to do with the next version of my rig: just schlep a notebook computer with you everywhere. I use MainStage and it makes it easy to manage any arrangement of patches on any number of devices.