VG-99 - Lion steps on the Mountain and VG99 goes to hell?

Started by pasha811, February 20, 2012, 12:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasha811

In 6 months or so from now OS X Lion will pass away and become Mountain Lion.
Roland VG99 drivers are still lazy at Snow Leopard. Are there any plans, some talks with Roland
that our Senior Members have taken regarding this? :'(

- Best
- Pasha
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

aliensporebomb

I'm running Lion and have no problem with the updated drivers they provided some time ago.  The icon for the VG-99 USB driver changed in system preferences and even though it says it's version 1.0.0 I think they forgot to update it because the Roland Website said it was 1.0.4.

I know the Editor had a problem with certain windows so they did update that, it is now at v1.01.  I notice the editor is at the same version number.

So, at least we have something working for Lion.  I might update one of my firewire drives to Mountain Lion just to see if it will work.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

arkieboy

Class compliant USB interface + Windows XP running on Virtual Box (free download from Oracle).  Turn off network access so that it doesn't need to run AV software and you're needs for running legacy editors are fixed forever.  I use this to run VG88 editors on my SL Mac, Sounddiver and a whole bunch of old sample looping and munging tools.

As to an XP license, buy some old and decrepit XP box with a license number on the side...

Steve
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

LPHovercraft

Quote from: arkieboy on March 07, 2012, 06:10:22 AM
As to an XP license, buy some old and decrepit XP box with a license number on the side...

Just a point of order - that's not really a valid license transfer unless you bought the original box with XP installed. In fact, I'm fairly sure that you can't even move that license off of that machine even if you *were* the original owner. I'm not saying *don't* do it - and I'm also not saying just get any old key sequence that will work and "Bob's your uncle" - just clarifying a point of order.
Houston Haynes - LPHovercraft

jburns

theres not a lot going on with mountain- a bunch of features that take up a lot of space. i don't plan on updating to it. most of mountain is calendar and email add ons. looks to me like toolbar spam does on windows from downloading add ware. there does not seem to be any improvement on the os at all other then these annoying add ons. although i could be wrong, as it hasn't been released yet except for the developing licensed versions. apple admits its a stepping stone to merge os & iOS. i find that great for the future but this stepping stone is pointless to update unless your on twitter 24/7. the app feature should be great tho, allowing us to play games and stuff with iPhone and iPad friends. I'm sure roland will release a driver if the current one will not work (it should, the drivers are kinda universal for every one of their products). they did it for lion so they should for m.lion. btw i still use the older driver on lion, I've only found 2 glitches so far that are not crucial for me. i figure if its not broke don't fix it.

issue 1- editor sometimes hangs when changes values with the mouse. ex- set to 50 will sometime jump a value to 42 or a random number instead. as if the knob/value is still being turned/edited. exiting and reopening the editor will fix this. I'm not sure if the lion driver fixes this either..

issue 2- vg99 utility functions properly but does not open controls. newest driver DOES fix this. in my case my tracking is good so i have no need for those options in the utility to be changed.

arkieboy

re point of order...

Strictly this is true.  But searching around the licensing conditions of OEM licenses indicates that in practicality this is seldom enforced.  The only =practical= difference between an OEM license and a full one is that you get pukka MS support on the latter.  Supposedly one can't re-install an OEM license on another PC but the truth seems to be that you can get a new key by calling your national MS supplier..

How can MS enforce when your motherboard might have died?

I was pretty surprised by this myself!

Steve
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4