VG-99 - Live Rig Help: Mag,Piezo,13-pin VG and Looper

Started by Gatormike, May 05, 2009, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gatormike

Hello all. Thought I would solicit ideas/assistance for my setup with my new H2FS ---- I am trying to simplify, but I keep getting more convoluted.

I want to be able to output all three signals (piezo acoustic, mag pups, and 13-pin) simultaneously. Here's the flow for each:
Piezo>AG Stomp>Fishman SoloAmp
Mags>A/B/Both Box>Vai Legacy and MusicMan combo amps (Legacy for dirty/overdrive and MusicMan for clean)
13-pin>VG-99>SoloAmp (as PA for now; maybe a keyboard amp in future).

I want to be able to incorporate my Looper into this mix (Boss RC20XL) as I want to loop anything and I'd like to be able to possibly bring in my GR-33 to the party. I also have a MOTU Traveler that I could use as a decent stand-alone mixer for the whole thing. I also have the FC300 controller for the VG-99, but I am admittedly a complete novice on setup and midi programming on that thing.

Any ideas on how I can do this with just one looper pedal? Any other ideas? I think I need to incorporate volume pedals into all of this as well.

Ideally, I just want to set up a pedal board for my whole palette, keeping the FC-300 as well for the VG usage. I'd prefer not to buy separate loop pedals, but that might be the easiest approach. However, it seems to me that there is a simple solution with the Traveler as a mixer that I'm just not realizing or appreciating.

As always, thanks for any help or ideas!

feloniouspunk

You got the HF2S?  How is compared to the Godin?  Trader!!   ;D
Lots of Gear. :)

Gatormike

Chris:  You picked up on my HF2S -- man you don't miss a thing!   ;)

I still love my LGX-SA (with Baggs), but I'm moving more in the piezo/amplified acoustic direction with my compositions and musical vision (yeah, sounds like bullshit to me too, but it came off real well with my wife on why I needed to pull the trigger on the HF2S!!!  ;D ).

I actually bought a new Multiac Spectrum SA for this purpose (RMC equipped) and it had some major issues with a couple of notes on the neck, so I returned it and got the full credit.  The day I decided to return the guitar the HF2S was announced --- talk about perfect timing.  All of the quality reviews of how good the ghost system is and the demo videos of same on the Carvin site for their SH575 model tipped me towards the decision of going with the HF2S.  I approached my custom build differently --- went with all maple body and back with a mahogany top (figuring that maple back and sides is usually the preferred config for amplified acoustic guitars on stage --- think doyle dykes).  So, we'll see how my experiment turns out.  With Carvin, you also have the 10 day return policy so long as you don't go overboard exotic.  Thus, I am going to get my guitar soon (I don't have it yet) and I plan on playing the heck out of it to ensure that I am happy.  I'll keep you posted.

Any thoughts on my rig set up?  For some reason I recall you using an RC50 looper and I'd love to hear your thinking on how I can get all three sounds -- piezo, mags, and 13-pin --- working for me to the ultimate advantage.  Hell, it is a great problem to have and I love tinkering around with the myriad of possibilities.  I need to start going beyond theoretical and taking action however.  I truly do feel I've got a couple of solid 45 minute sets for playing out if I can get my rig all sorted out. 

Take care for now and hope all is well on your end.  Mike

germanicus

Warning about the holdsworth. I have an H2F. The feedback is atrocious. The humbuckers are not potted so watch out what your doing volume wise and where you are relative to your amp/pa. I get really bad squeeling with the bridge pickup. I have a gk3 pickup on it, and it behaves well when just using the gk pickup. Plays really nicely.

My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

Elantric

You may consider wax potting your pickup to reduce microphonic squeals

feloniouspunk

Quote from: Gatormike on May 06, 2009, 04:15:59 PM
I still love my LGX-SA (with Baggs), but I'm moving more in the piezo/amplified acoustic direction with my compositions and musical vision (yeah, sounds like bullsh** to me too, but it came off real well with my wife on why I needed to pull the trigger on the HF2S!!!  ;D ).

Haha, hilarious!  I'm jealous though, that model looks gorgeous and I am sure it plays well too.  I am glad to hear that you didn't sell your Godin.  That would have been a huge mistake!  8)   When you can you should post a pic for us.

As for your setup, it sounds like you have a lot going on.  Which is always a good thing!  If you want to use one looper for everything you will need some sort of mixer and looking at the specs of the Motu, I don't know if that will cover all of your needs.   I will have to spend some time thinking about the best possible way.  You will need to set up your looper on some sort of a sub channel so you can send whatever to it at anytime.  Is that looper a stereo looper?  If your doing stereo stuff that is something you will need to consider. 

And as for the FC-300, I don't have one, but I do not think it is as complicated as you think it is.  I don't think you need to know a whole lot about midi to assign stuff with it.  Now, the Behringer FCB1010 on the other hand is a different story.  Be thankful that you dont have to deal with that one!  I would definitely recommend learning how to use it.  Any foot controller opens up a whole lot of creative ummph for VG-99. 

Lots of Gear. :)

fokof

You could use a small board , one that would have direct outs and an aux.

each chanel through an input, each direct out to his amp and send an aux out for your looper......

Or use the Left for piezo amp, the right for lx amp ,an aux for the VG99 amp ,  each hard panned ,and another aux for the looper.