VG-99 - Guitar to MIDI - Expanding my horizons.

Started by rcknrllmn, April 29, 2009, 07:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcknrllmn

I've been using COSM technology for several years now from the GX-700, to the GT-5, GS-10, GT-PRO,
and now the VG-99.  Up to this point I have only used the VG-99 for my guitar rig.  I would like to start
using it for more for synth/midi stuff also.

I would like to start off by getting a relatively inexpensive, small portable hardware synth to use.

I am considering one of these three things.
  Dave Smith Mopho,
  Alesis Micro,
  MicroKORG.

Can anyone with experience with these weigh in on which I might get the most milage with the VG-99.

Thanks
Tom

Brent Flash

None of the models you mention would be my first choice.

The features I look for when thinking of Guitar to MIDI sound sources are:
1. Combination Mode or Multi-timbral mode. When using MONO MODE in the VG-99's Guitar to MIDI section, you want a keyboard that can produce sounds on more than one MIDI Channel at the same time.  The reason for this is in MONO MODE the VG-99 sends each string on a separate MIDI channel. This lets you bend a string while playing other strings and only the string you are bending will bend on the keyboard.
2. The keyboard should be polyphonic. This is so you can play more than one note. Monophonic will only play a single note.
3. And use sampled sounds. This is a keyboard that plays digital recordings of a real instrument to create the sounds it plays. Most keyboards work this way these days.

rcknrllmn

Is there a decent old sound module I can look for on ebay that would have these features.

I really don't care to start lugging a 61 key keyboard around with me.  I also
do not want to spend a lot of money on something I'm just starting to experiment with.
I don't want to get into the expense of a laptop with all the software either.

Thanks

Brent Flash

Just search "sound module" on ebay and there are all kinds of choices. If you have any questions just give us a shout.

rcknrllmn

OK, thanks I'll check those out.

What about the GR-20 because that is not out of the question.
Or, would one of those other sound modules be better.
I went to try a GR-20 at guitar center & was so disappointed.
It did not track good at all.  But I think it was because the
RR Strat demo was trashed.  I think there was a problem with
the 13 pin connector.

Thanks

Elantric

Others are:

Yamaha MU-80

Roland PMA-5

Any Roland Sound Canvas

I even have decent results with a Casio WK-3700
http://www.casio.com/products/archive/Musical_Instruments/Workstation/WK-3700/

Look for Multi-timberal sound engine with a MIDI 5 pin Input. (getting rare now as most new ones only have a USB  - which is worthless IMHO)   

More Here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=915.0

germanicus

Another option:
While old, the Alesis Nanosynth can fit into the pocket of a guitars gig bag easily (its a third rack space size). Its multitimbral and very cheap. Based on the qs6 architecture. Nothing incredible but not a bad option for a backup sound module. Some of the pads are rather nice.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

feloniouspunk

Do you have a laptop?  If so, why not go the way of the VST.  It's portable and IMHO gives you more options as far as synths go.  If you would like to explore that route I would be more than happy to help get you up and running. 
Lots of Gear. :)

rcknrllmn

Quote from: feloniouspunk on April 30, 2009, 07:53:31 AM
Do you have a laptop?  If so, why not go the way of the VST.  It's portable and IMHO gives you more options as far as synths go.  If you would like to explore that route I would be more than happy to help get you up and running. 

Yes I do have one.  I've been very hesitant  to go that route.  I guess my hang up is basically I don't really know what I'm doing, and
I do not trust it to be reliable and rugged enough for performance.  It's not that there is really anything wrong with it.

I'll tell you what I have, and I would be willing to give it a try if it is worthy enough unit.

It's a Toshiba Satellite, running Windows XP 2002 SP3.  It has an Intel CPU T1300 @ 1.66GHz, 1.31GHz, 504 MB of RAM.
I have no software other than Editors for my guitar processors.

feloniouspunk

Your specs are borderline, sorry to say.  Most soft synths these days recommend at least 1 gig of ram.  That being said, you could at least download a soft synth demo and give it a shot.  See if it is something you might want to pursue.  There are many standalone units available which means that they do not require a DAW (digital audio workstation, ie. Protools, Logic, Reaper, etc.).  I would start with something simple like Native Instruments. Most of their soft synths are CPU intensive, however they do offer a wide range of them and they are easy to use.  You can demo all of them for free for thirty minutes at a time.  At which point you would have to restart the software. Easy- Breezy! The save function is disabled.  Try Absynth 4 here:

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=absynth4

There are others, like the Ableton Live demo here:

http://www.ableton.com/downloads

and the Reason demo here:

http://www.propellerheads.se/download/

I added these to the list because I personally think these two are superb pieces of software.  You could try them, but if they bog down your computer it will probably lead to frustration and ultimately a bad experience so I would try Absynth first.  Honestly, I am more of a Mac guy then a PC guy so I am not really sure what to expect.  Maybe a few of our PC users could offer some suggestions for a few light weight soft synths to help get you going.  I will also do some looking around.   ;)

If you decide to go this far, it is just a matter of connecting your VG-99 via usb and making some adjustments in the menus.  I will walk you through it.   ;D

guitarnstuff

I have used a Roland Sound Canvas SC88 that bought used on Ebay. I too wanted something low cost to experiment with. I have been pleased and really don't see a need to buy anything else in the short term. Pads strings and rotary organ patches mixed behind the guitar really help thicken or sweeten the sound for our church choir which is only me, a grand piano, and drums.

That said, I am curious about the SM Pro Vmachine which is compact VST player with an audio in. I could see using for external MIDI instruments and for audio manipulation of the "guitar out" of the VG99 without dealing with a laptop on the gig. However I am too short cash to risk the experiment right now. I'd love to here if anyone else has tried the Vmachine. Anyone? 

Elantric

For the price of the SM PRo

Id run a headless Mac MINI - loaded with AUs under  Apple MainStage

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/mainstage/

germanicus

Sustainiac: Ever tried a netbook running softsynths? Solid state hard drives, run xp, not sure if they have the floating point horsepower for soft synths but the size would be perfect for live performance.

Traynor k4

Elantric

Theres not enough CPU power on those $399 Netbooks - they use an Atom CPU - and most do not have Firewire - Most Netbooks are slightly more powerful than an Iphone  / Itouch.

Go for a Core 2 Duo running  at least 1.8 Ghz

I'm looking forward to August when the "iPad" tablet is released.

http://www.gearcrave.com/2009-04-13/jobs-still-at-apple-large-tablet-coming/

rcknrllmn

I can probably upgrade my memory up to 2Gigs rather cheaply.  Would that help or
does the processor need to be faster?

germanicus

The cpu is the big factor when running soft synths. More ram will help as well, but with 2 gigs ram your cpu will be your bottleneck. This being said, you may be able to run a soft synth with your system. I recommend you download a trial version and put it through the paces.

Traynor k4

feloniouspunk

Yes, I agree.  Download some demos and see how it works.  If you feel like this may be the path you want to go down I would recommend looking into the idea of buying a new laptop.  If you get one that is powerful and running on a stable platform, you should have no trouble performing with it.

rcknrllmn

OK, I downloaded a trial for Native Instruments Massive & got it working. 

A couple of things.  It was a little glitchey.  Also my RR strat didn't track nearly as well as I thought it should have.
After watching Robert Marcello blazing riffs on the GR-20 demo, I thought it would track better.
I also hooked up a Fantom-S to  Massive & it worked pretty well.  Better than than the strat.

Then I hooked up the Strat directly to the Fantom-S.  The tracking was better, but not near what
I thought it should be.  Are there any common pitfalls to avoid or good techniques for better tracking.

Thanks

rcknrllmn

I just won a Roland JV-1080 in E-bay.  Any thoughts on this unit?  Is it any good for use with VG-99?

rcknrllmn

I tried out my JV-1080 today for the 1st time.  I'm actually quite impressed.  The sounds are nice.  My guitar tracks pretty good on some stuff.  Just OK on others.  If I mess with the VG-99 guitar to midi parameters, it makes it better on some stuff.  It looks promising & I think I will try to incorporate it into my live rig.  Overall I'm happy with it.

paults

If you're not new to external synths, you probably already know this stuff.   But, if its all new, some of this may prove useful:

Different types of sounds will respond better to different VG settings.  For example, pianos and organs don't need pitch bend, for example, and can be set accordingly.  

Your playing technique will need to vary with different sounds, too, if you want the sounds to come across like the actual instrument.  Another example: Keyboard sounds need simultaneous string playing of chords, instead of strumming.  

A slow-swelling string sound requires slow playing, too :)  

A sound with a lot of sustain/release needs to be played very precisely, or you'll likely get a smear of mis-tracked notes.

Fortunately, you can fine tune what you are sending to your synth for each sound with the "Play Feel" parameters.   

rcknrllmn

I am new to this stuff, but I am gradually learning this stuff.  Thanks for the tips, I'm finding you're exactly right.

Elantric

VG-99 Guitar to MIDI  - Part 1
VG-99 Guitar to MIDI

VG-99 Guitar to MIDI  - Part 2
VG-99 Guitar to MIDI Part 2