Micro BR-80 scroll wheel not properly responding

Started by Piing, December 25, 2012, 10:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piing

The wheel of my BR-80 is not responding properly. It is very difficult to advance, and it frequently jumps down to value zero.

Anyone has succeeded opening the case of the BR-90 to have a look inside?

Piing

I have opened it. It is an ALPS SRGP40 encoder. It looks clean and without apparent mechanical problems. After closing the unit, the response of the wheel has improved.

I have taken some pictures:

Elantric

Try a factory Reset. This often corrects poor encoder response.

Graeme

This is exactly what happened to me. I had to take it back to the shop to get it fixed - iirc they put a whole new wheel on it.

Piing

You are right Elantric. It was not a mechanical issue. Solved with a reset.

Graeme, are you sure that they actually replaced that wheel?  ;)

Graeme

Well, I didn't actually see it happen but the 'new' wheel was much tougher to move at first and had to be broken in ;)

Strummer07

I apprteciate this thread is a bit old .... but I'll start this here and open a new thread if nuttin' happens

I have a BR-80 and it's an OK bit of kit to have in the gig bag , I mostly use the live recording facility just to grab ideas or practice, I also like the e-band function ( I had a Boss e-band before .. so I like that function .. and the ability to repat passages to tab a solo etc)

Recently I am beset with the dreaded scoll wheel problems .. not scrolling , scrolling intermittently - so the unit is a pain right now.

I notice advice and pictures ( no longer viewable I'm afraid ) from Piing -- showing the insides once he'd opened it up

Can Piing or someone else advise best way to fix the jog/ scroll wheel ..................is it a genuinely DIY thing or is it best to return it to Boss ( mine is out of guarantee .......any idea of cost ?? and where to send it in the United Kingdom ??

any inputs / help much appreciated

Thanks 

gumtown

Sounds like a common fault, saw a youtube video displaying the same rotary encoder fault

I have not looked inside my BR-80 yet, so I couldn't tell if replacement would be D.I.Y easy or not,
if it's surface mount, best to get someone knowledgable in reflow solder work.

As stated in the original post, it's an ALPS encoder, surface mount type
http://www.alps.com/WebObjects/catalog.woa/E/HTML/Encoder/Ring/SRGP40/SRGP40_list.html

Looks like the replacement encoder is available from RS Compnents for 5 bucks.
http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/c/?sra=oss&r=t&searchTerm=ALPS+SRGP40&x=29&y=10
Here is a USA supplier
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/searchresults.aspx?dsNav=Ntk:Primary%7CALPS+SRGP40%7C3%7C,Ny:True,Ro:0&dsDimensionSearch=D:ALPS+SRGP40,Dxm:All,Dxp:3&SearchType=0&Term=ALPS+SRGP40
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Dosydotes

This may be an old old topic but I thought I'd chime in on it as I had the same typical problem with my BR-80
After googling a ton on the web I discovered a YouTube video of someone showing a fix
The video has very little views which surprised me and it does require disassemble of the unit
So I carefully undertook this task and by the grace of God it worked
I have to wonder how the person behind this vid came upon this method because I would never have even thought about trying this on my own for fear of damage to the unit
My advice to anyone doing this is just take your time (about a little over an hour for me) keep organized so you keep your parts and tiny screws in check and don't blame me if it doesn't go well
BTW I used tiny jeweler screw drivers but the guy in the uses a (knife!?)
Here's the link
! No longer available
If no link shows up then just go to YouTube and search "BOSS MICRO BR80 SCROLL FIXING"

Piing

Hello again.

After very long time without using the Micro-BR, the problem with the scroll wheel happened again. And this time the Factory Reset did not help at all. I have solved it by opening the case and using Contact Cleaner spray over the wheel. Now it works like a charm.

Another problem after long time inside a drawer: the plastic on the sides and on the buttons was very sticky; really nasty to touch. I have solved it by cleaning those plastic parts with rubbing alcohol.

simon t

Here's a more in-depth video the procedure of which I followed on 2 units with great success.
This guy doesn't remove the spring as suggested in the above fix as you then have no resistance on the wheel.

! No longer available