Cleaning an iPad screen

Started by cooltouch, April 12, 2014, 03:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooltouch

Okay, this isn't about making music with an iPad, but it goes to basic maintenance of it. Now that I've owned one for a couple of months, I'm finding that one of the more annoying aspects is keeping the screen clean. So I thought I'd toss this question out to others here who own an iPad -- or another tablet, far as that goes. What do you typically do for cleaning your iPad's screen and/or keeping it clean?

I'll tell you what I've found so far that works pretty well -- short of wiping it off on my T-shirt. If you wear glasses, then you know how when you get a new set, usually you'll get one of those microfiber cleaning cloths with it? I've found that these work pretty well. But eventually they become contaminated enough such that they don't work well anymore until they are washed, so even the cloths will require maintenance. I just wish that the case I use for my iPad (a pretty decent leather one I bought off eBay for about $8) had a pocket for holding something like a cleaning cloth. That would be handy.

I've also found that my hand works well, believe it or don't. I wash my hands to make sure I don't have any dirt or other micro abrasives trapped in the whorls of my fingerprints or palm print, then thoroughly dry them. And then I find I can wipe most any sort of smudge clean from the screen. I suspect that the whorls of my palm and fingerprints trap the dirt or smudge material, retaining it such that I can get the screen spotless. I'm a photographer and I know very well that the received wisdom is that one of the things a person should never do is touch the front or rear element of a lens, but to use lens cleaning tissue (and fluid) instead. But as a practical matter, I've found that using a clean finger or thumb can be very helpful for removing grime and even fungus, which can destroy a lens. I've saved quite a few lenses just using my thumb to remove fungus, when cleaning tissue wouldn't remove it.

So anyway, I'm always open to suggestions. What is your preferred method for cleaning your iPad's screen? And if you're tempted to write, 'don't get it dirty in the first place,' don't bother. I live in the real world. Stuff happens in the real world.

Best,
Michael

musicman65

I always apply a screen protector on all touchscreen devices. That way I can clean them with whatever is available without fear of damage.  Since oils are the source all grime, when possible I use alcohol and a rag to clean the screen. Its an excellent degreaser and doesn't leave residue. I've never seen any kind of damage with alcohol, even on laptop screens.

Sedgewick

I've been using alcohol swabs, and haven't noticed any problems. 

supernicd

Per Apple you should use nothing but a soft cloth slightly dampened with water. This actually does do the job.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

musicman65

Quote from: SuperNiCd on April 13, 2014, 04:20:00 PM
Per Apple you should use nothing but a soft cloth slightly dampened with water. This actually does do the job.
That's their lawyers saying anything but water is unknown and *might* be harmful. I have oily fingers and water just smears it around. Alcohol does the trick and has never caused damage. I keep my devices much longer than most....and with screen protectors, always.

cooltouch

Okay, I'll admit I've never tried a screen protector, in this instance, on any of my smartphones -- even when they have come with them. Not that I haven't wanted to, just that it sort of gets put off and I forget about it. I see a screen protector as being most useful against scratches, however, and that it most likely won't protect the screen against smudges. I don't think my iPad came with one, but I should check. All my smartphones did.

I'm inclined to agree that a damp cloth won't help much. I have already tried damp cloths and (soft) paper towels and all they do is smear smudges around such that I end up with an even distribution of smear. For some reason, I can completely remove the smear with a clean palm. The microfiber cloths are much better than regular ones or paper towels at removing the smudges and smears, but sometimes even they can't. In those instances, I've found that using a paper towel that's a bit wetter than damp to pick up the greater amount of smudges, followed by wiping it down with a microfiber cloth, works well.

Best,
Michael

Elantric

I have lots of screens that I clean regularly

I have good luck with this

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2583/.f?sc=2&category=1305

CCS-503, Screen Cleaning Kit, Industrial Size

DeoxIT® Brand Screen Cleaner, white sprayer, 22 oz. fill, 12 x 12 microfiber gold cloth.

Specially formulated for LCD, Plasma, Touch Screens and CRT Screens.
+ No Alcohol + No Ammonia + No Dirt Build-Up + Non-Streaking + Anti-Static - Repels Dust + Lifts Oil and Finger Prints Convenient, Safe and Easy to Use

CCS-503_h225.gif   
DeoxIT® Brand Screen Cleaner, white sprayer, 22 oz. fill, 12 x 12 microfiber gold cloth.
Specially formulated for LCD, Plasma, Touch Screens and CRT Screens.

musicman65

Screen protectors avoid scratches and can be replaced. They are the sacrificial barrier against permanent marring. Skin oils attract dirt and wiping dry grit away is a very abrasive action. Skinomi brand protectors are super tough and one will last the life of the phone...and you can clean it without worries.

Travel Tip:
Try any damp cloth or even your wet finger with a very light application (just residue) of hand soap. Smear it around evenly on your screen then wipe clean with a dry cloth or paper towel. Works like a champ and can be done while washing your hands in any bathroom with readily available items.

cooltouch

Elantric and Musicman, thanks for your tips.

Elantric, I'll see if I can find some DeoxIT around here locally. Problem with ordering stuff like this is you get killed on the shipping, which is why I'll see if I can find it locally. Sometimes a product's website will tell you about retailers in your area.

Musicman, I'll give your hand soap idea a try.
Best,
Michael

Elantric

QuoteElantric, I'll see if I can find some DeoxIT around here locally. Problem with ordering stuff like this is you get killed on the shipping, which is why I'll see if I can find it locally.

I got mine a few years ago at Amazon - using free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Screen-Cleaner-Included-Microfiber-Cloth/dp/B002EQDC3K

I have also heard good things about this - a bit cheaper at $8 with free shipping  - but use with a Microfiber cloth.
http://www.amazon.com/Klear-Screen-Computer-Monitor-Keyboard/dp/B0018CPCT8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_op_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WM1GCF98GC5350S92PB

cooltouch

Well, I'll keep that one in mind as well. Free shipping makes it worth considering. Hardly worth it, paying ten bucks for an item only to have another eight or nine added on for shipping.

I can't believe this. Last night my Air's screen had gotten smudged again, so I wipe it down with a very damp, soft, paper towel, and then used a microfiber cloth to remove the residue. I couldn't believe it. Right before my eyes, I saw the microfiber cloth wipe a light scratch into the screen. Dammit. First thing I did, after confirming it was a scratch and not another smudge, was buy some protectors for it. Fortunately it is a very light scratch.
Best,
Michael

supernicd

FWIW, I don't do screen protectors.  I found they were far more subject to collecting oils and dirt than the naked screen, and were also much harder to clean.  Not to mention they are a real nuisance to change.  AFAIK, Apple does not manufacture or recommend screen protectors.  You could read into it that "soft slightly water dampened cloth only" is Apple's lawyers protecting it against people trying to make warranty claims, or you could read into it that they are the manufacturer, understand what it's made of, and what it can withstand.  I honestly don't know which one it is.

For me, the naked screen, cleaning with soft damp cloth every now and then as needed is working perfectly well.  In between the more detailed cleanings, the breath and T-shirt method works for a quick fix.  YMMV.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

mbenigni

QuoteFWIW, I don't do screen protectors.

Ditto.  For all the reasons you mention, and even more importantly, the added friction makes the device less enjoyable to use (which is what I paid for.)  I never really use cleaners either.  The t-shirt method is fine unless you let things get way out of hand.

supernicd

This is what Apple says about it.  In the end you have to do what works for you - just reposting here for completeness so that the manufacturer's recommendations are known alongside any other tips. :)

QuoteHandle your iPad with care to maintain its appearance. If you are concerned about scratching or abrasion, you can use one of the many cases sold separately. To clean iPad, unplug all cables and turn off iPad (press and hold the Sleep/Wake button, and then slide the onscreen slider). Use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth. Avoid getting moisture in openings. Don't use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPad. iPad has an oleophobic coating on the screen; simply wipe iPad's screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands. The ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch your screen.

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3226#ipads
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

gumbo

I use the cloths that are designed for cleaning (eye) glasses...they are readily available from my local optometrist and not expensive..
Works ok for me on iPhones, iPads and computer screens around here..
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

datsunrobbie

I've been using baby wipes to clean the screens on phones and tablets for the past few years and have been very happy with the results. Follow up with a tshirt, or a baby wipe that has dried out, to remove excess moisture.

cooltouch

Quote from: gumbo on April 17, 2014, 05:38:52 AM
I use the cloths that are designed for cleaning (eye) glasses...they are readily available from my local optometrist and not expensive..
Works ok for me on iPhones, iPads and computer screens around here..

Careful that you keep these cloths clean. Because they pick up everything they can become quickly contaminated. Note my post above where I put the first scratch in my Air's screen using one of these cloths.
Best,
Michael

cooltouch

Okay, the screen protectors I ordered arrived today. So what's the best way to lay down a sheet of this stuff without getting a million air pockets between the protector and screen? I tried just using a credit card to wipe it down with. That got rid of some of the bubbles, but it also put scratches in the protector.

Seems like I've heard of using water with a few drops of surfactant (dish soap) to form a thin film between the protector and the screen, but I'm concerned that the water might find a way inside the iPad, so I'm kinda leery of doing that. There's gotta be a way.
Best,
Michael

Elantric

QuoteThere's gotta be a way.

When you find out, let us know.

vxboogie

Quote from: Elantric on April 24, 2014, 03:41:33 PM
When you find out, let us know.
Hmm, all of the screen protectors I've put on had a solution with them to aid in applying them. Not sure what was in it though.

mbenigni

Not worth the effort IMO.  These things have a cycle of obsolescence of about 3 years max.  Enjoy it as it's meant to be enjoyed until then.  Using a screen protector is like putting a plastic cover on a (previously) attractive and comfortable chair.

musicman65

I have an exacto knife and and a 5 dollar roll of vinyl sheeting from the fabric store. That's a lifetime supply of screen protectors. It take me 5 minutes to make one. I make them for anything that has a screen. They are like tear away film on motocross goggles to me. My GR55, VG99, tablets, Win8 tablet, touchscreen phones....they are all protected.

I work on cars, motorcycles, and tractors and have other gritty hobbies. I also work in industry and some customer sites are caustic, oily, and nasty. A nice screen is easily destroyed that way. My GR55 and VG99 sit on the floor in dirty environments too, often gathering dust. They are protected.

I have a grandfathered truly unlimited Verizon 4g data family plan that I won't give up. I can't sign a new contract and get subsidized new phones without losing it....so I buy used. I would NEVER buy a used phone that wasn't properly cared for. If the screen isn't flawless, forget it. It'll be flawless when I buy it until the day it's retired.

The feeling of the screen is great. It doesn't alter the function and though different, not worse. I do like to purchase the Skinomi brand protectors for my phone since the cutouts fit the shape easily.

I guess if you don't care about your screen, or live in a fairly clean world, its not needed. As for me, its a necessity.

mbenigni

Fair enough.  I guess partly I'm just lazy.  :)  I also tend to handle all of my equipment with kid gloves, and I do live in a "fairly clean world" (or at least my gear does) so it's never been a problem.  :)

cooltouch

Well, I couldn't stand the bubbles anymore. They really degrade image quality. So I removed the protector. I guess I need to treat this thing as I would a new expensive guitar. Keep it wiped down with a clean cloth and put it in its case when not using it. Come to think of it, this iPad is expensive, so all the more reason to handle it with kid gloves. Hmm. Literally, methinks.

Best,
Michael