Stacked concentric pots

Started by embers, June 14, 2010, 01:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

embers

Does anyone know where I can get a stacked concentric potentiometer that is a combination of 50k Audio for volume for an Eric Clapton 25db mid boost mag pickup circuit and 500k for the Roland GK-Kit Volume? When I built in the GK-Kit into my strat I removed the mid boost circuit because I couldn't come up with a suitable way of fitting four potentiometers. Combining both volumes in the one pot will solve the problem, but I haven't been able to find a 50K/500K combination.

Virtual Madness

Hey Embers!

I finally get to return the favor you did me by giving me the pinout info for the Roland 13-pin socket!

The bad news is, your not going to find a Stacked Pot with the combination of values that you're looking for.

The good news is that it's relatively easy to make your own!

I just made a 500k Audio/250k Linear custom stacked pot for my Graph Tech Ghost equipped Fender Telecaster.

You're going to need a stacked CTS audio taper pot like this one i got from Warmoth.

http://www.warmoth.com/Concentric-Pot-500k-By-CTS-P720C74.aspx

Then you'll need to get a CTS 50k audio taper pot for the Eric Clapton 25db mid boost mag pickup circuit.

http://www.darrenriley.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1020

Then you'll need a CTS 50k linear taper pot for the Roland GK volume (you said 500k, but I think it's supposed to be 50k linear)

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?lang=en&site=US&WT.z_homepage_link=hp_go_button&KeyWords=450D503-1-ND&x=19&y=18

These are just example pages, obviously you can get this stuff wherever you prefer to shop.

All you need to do is bend back the 4 tabs on top of the donor pots and remove the wafers and swap them with the wafers in the stacked pot you started with!

Hope this helps, Royce

The greatest power in the universe is imagination!

embers

Thanks Royce,

I had a feeling I might have to make it myself. I also had a look back over the Roland GK-Kit instructions and you are correct. They list it as GK Volume 50 k? ±20 % B Curve. My understanding is that a B Curve is also known as a Linear Pot.

The Fender site lists the requirements for the EC Lace Pickup Strat as "Control, 50k, Audio". I believe that Audio is also known as an A Curve.

So it looks like I need a 50K Linear(B)/50K Audio(A) combination.

Do you know which pot is controlled by the inner shaft? is it the top or bottom one when looking at the pot with the shafts at the top?

Regards

Wayne

Virtual Madness

Hey Wayne,

The inner shaft controls the bottom pot.

Have fun customizing!

Royce
The greatest power in the universe is imagination!

embers

Royce, Thanks for your help. I found all potentiometers I need at Pin-Up Music Parts as well as the stacked knobs.

gumbo

:o Hi Embers...

From what I read, maybe you should do a Google search on those guys before you send any money...
Gumbo in Adelaide
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

embers

I bought using Paypal. I have tracking information that seems legit. I'll let you know if I have problems.

embers

Still waiting for parts. I've raised issue with Paypal. Looks like you might have been right.

gumbo

Bummer  :(

FWIW, I got all my concentric stuff from Guitar Parts Resource...good to deal with (on Paypal) and fast delivery...

Gumbo in Adelaide
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

paults

While you are examining stacking options, it might be easier to control the GK volume if it was a knob of its own, and have the Clapton Boost share a concentric pot with the regular tone control.  Whichever of the stacked knobs you find easier to manipulate would ideally control the one of those two you manipulate more often.   

I use the volume controls a lot, and mix levels of the analog and GK guitars in real time.   This works really well when each is on a separate VG channel. 

It comes down to the whichever knobs you use the most (and you've probably already worked through the thought process).  I'm putting an internal kit into a strat, and am using the first knob for magnetic volume, and the second knob for GK volume.   The third knob is concentric tone - Neck/Middle and a separate tone for the bridge humbucker.

embers

Thanks. That's exactly how my guitar is setup at the moment. Volume for GK definitely needs to be at the top. Originally I put it at the bottom and left the top for mag volume and middle for tone.

cgarlie

I'm installing a GraphTech Ghost Hexaphonic and Acoustical Preamp in my Parker Fly. To keep controls (and drilling) to a minimum, I want to install a stacked pot for the volume controls for the MIDI and acoustical outputs.

Can anyone make a recommendation here? It appears I want a 250K pot for the MIDI and 500K for the acoustic output and CTS seems to have such a pot, but just wanted to check if these values seem correct and if there are other pot brands I may have overlooked that might provide other options.

Thanks,
Charlie

Elantric

Elantric

Elantric

Stack pot Knobs  - w/ glow in the dark numbers
http://www.luminlay.com/shopen_knobs.html