Changing the system setting before using the GR-55

Started by stu2, June 23, 2012, 02:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stu2

Tony Mckenzie has a review of the GR-55 and about 04.40 in his video (link below), He is showing a system setting that I don´t quite understand what it´s for. I haven´read anything about it here on the forum. Must point out that I don´t own a GR-55 myself but have ordered one and expecting it to arrive any day soon (the blue version). I´m sure you guys can answer that question quite easily. Just want to know if it´s the right thing to do before using this device. Many thanks in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM2tVfaRsjk&feature=player_embedded#!

gumtown

The GR-55 has SYSTEM/Global settings for the switches and pedals which over-ride patch settings. In this case he has set the CTL pedal to only be exclusively used for toggling the synth tones and normal guitar tones.
Setting the CTL pedal globally stops it's use for other things on a patch by patch arrangement.
More to do with personal preference.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Mrchevy

I think he is setting a global setting ( applies to all patches ) for the guitar out setting. this is not really necessary on the initial setup as it is a preference to how you decide to use the GR-55. I have mine set to patch setting because I'm still, after months of of putzing with it, I'm still experimenting. What is important on the initial setup is getting the GK pick up put on the guitar and set up properly. If this isn't done, nothing else will work right. this involves mounting it all properly and making the correct settings for the GK pickup within the GR-55. Also you will want to make sure the guitar itself is set up correctly. New strings, action, and especially the intonation. I assume you ordered the GR55 with the the GK3 pickup. The manual for setting it up is pretty good and if you take your time, should be pretty strait forward. There are several threads here to cover any and all aspects of the GR-55. I'm not to savy about how to post the links to the threads here but Elantric I'm sure will chime in soon and post a whole list of stuff for you to read. Look thru and read the stickies in the GR-55 section and you will be well on your way understanding it when you finally get it. You will NOT find a more comprehensive forum for the GR-55 and synth guitar than right here. You will also want to download the DRIVER from Roland for your computer and get the FREE GR-55 Floorboard Editor that Gumtown designed. It puts the GR55 into a visual perspective as a pedal board on your computer screen, is interactive, and makes it 10 times easier to understand how it works and is laid out inside. Once your set up and going, I doubt you'll ever come up with a question or problem that cant be answered or solved here. Good luck and I'm sure we will chat again soon  ;)
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

stu2

Thank you kindly for your swift and informative replies. I´ll soon be digging into this piece of equipment and this forum (been lurking around here for some time now) are an incredible source of knowledge and fun. Going to post my first impressions when I´ve got everything in place.  :D