FTP - hardware mode, USB hub to Motif Sound Module

Started by cruisemates, April 16, 2014, 09:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cruisemates

I have the Kenton USB midi host which takes the FTP dongle and changes the signal to 5-pin midi out. The sound module I acquired is a first-generation Yahama Motif. I was lucky enough to find this early model Motif on eBay priced at just over $300.

This is a GREAT unit for hardware usage with the FTP. There is almost no latency at all, and even better, when you change sounds via the up/down buttons on your controller the program changes are displayed on the Motif hardware window - so I actually always know what patch I am using, and I can edit its parameters and store it to a new location on the Motif.

The Motif USER Patch mode allows you to save user settings in any sequence - and if you navigate there you can easily put all of your sounds in the correct order for a gig so a 1-button push will get you the sound you want right away. The only drawback is that I don't yet see a way to get the Motif to boot up in that setting. But I only got started yesterday.

I was starting the FTP with the top button pressed. I just turned it on. I find that the left and right controller buttons will switch me between chromatic and legato (slide) settings in any patch - but it takes a number of pressings (3 or 4 on the right button) before you get there. There are many more patch changes that happen as you use the controller buttons, and no "scary areas" but I am not midi experienced enough to document them. I am hoping that more people will discover the Motif sound module (unfortunately, newer ones are far more expensive) and start to document the interaction (via USB hub) between FTP and Motif.

I feel there are huge possibilities here, whether you use Kenton (mine as about $100), iConnect or the new Arduino DIY. Once I had all the hardware there was literally no problem in just connecting everything and turning it on - everything synched and I was able to start playing immediately.

I hope more people follow this lead so we can start a thread just for people using the Motif. So far it better than I expected to get out of any sound module.

ITL

Cruisemates, thanks for the info on FTP and the Motif.  I have a Motif XS that I have used with my GR55 but haven't tried it with my FTP. I need to get the Kenton first so I can use it in hardware mode.
LGXTSA, Godin Session Custom TriplePlay w/ Fishman Piezo, JTVariax59, Axe-FXII, Integra 7, Motif XS, VoiceLive 3

Spider

I use FTP with Motif Rack XS.
I can only suggest: don't touch left/right button when you are in HW mode !!! Never! In this mode set up PB range for motif voices on +/-12 semi.

You can use left and right button on FTP when you are in normal mode: left/right switch on / off auto/chromatic mode with +/- 2 semitones PB range.

cruisemates

For some reason (that I do not know) my control unit will not connect to the dongle if ANY button is pushed down. It only works if I turn it on with nothing pushed.  It could be because there was a time when I had the FTP hooked up to my computer and I tried to send some pre-sets to the control unit - I don't know. I don't really understand that whole process.

Once I am up & running however. hitting the side buttons does NOT send me to a scary zone. In fact, it will toggle on/off the chromatic and slide modes.

I can tell you this, though. This is the first time I have felt the FTP is usable for gig - almost zero latency and really nice sounds.

Elantric

On my FTP  - the "Scary Zones" occur anytime i press the DPAD left of Right button more than twice.