FTP - Fishman TriplePlay with Evenharmonic GTAK MIDI Guitar Software

Started by seafoam green, March 18, 2014, 08:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoam green

Hi there ,

Is anyone using this software with their FTP ?

Evenharmonic Gtack 5  ; http://evenharmonic.com/products/gtak5/library_instruments

I,m expecting my FTP to arrive next week ,

......., and I was wondering about this Gtak 5  Software , and how additionally useful it actually is to guitar Midi use with the Fishman TriplePlay ?

The Evenharmonic Gtack 5 website says  this is for Kontakt 5 , which I already have (ie; in my Komplete 9 Ultimate)

I noticed in the Gtak software has string splits (where different strings will play different V.Is) but so does the FTP software anyway ,

..., but I saw a video on the Gtak5 website , of a guy doing finger slides on a guitar to play a V.I  bass , and a violin, which seemed really cool , which you can do on a real bass guitar and violin ..., so I, m guessing that would  get written to a midi track in a host (I use Pro Tools)  if you were recording the midi ( this would save lots of editing later on )

What other real benefits are there for us Guitar players using the FTP with using this Evenharmonic Gtack 5 software ?

Sorry if you guys have discussed this before ...,

...., but Im a FTP pre-virgin (my FTP is still in the mail) and my head is already spinning a bit from the FTP manuals , and that of some other new V.I's and various plugin software ive recently purchased,
...., and as I highly value the opinions of you guys ,  id like to hear in layman's terms how this software can help/ or not ? ..., and whether its worth purchasing it ??? .

Best Regards :)

Elantric

Suggest contact Costas who runs  EvenHarmonic (G-Tak) - its a small world because Costas was hired to create the Fishman Tripleplay Performance Window GUI.

There are some overlaps  - yet enough differences which make G-TAK Appealing. -Best to contact Costas and seek his opinion.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8453.msg60438#msg60438

More details on Even Harmonic GTAK
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3339.0

crsmarker

I've been successfully setting this up in Ableton Live 9. The FTP has to be booted (powered on) while holding the "C" (UP) button on the D-Pad. This put the FTP into Hardware mode so no FTP software or plug in, just pure MIDI.

To set up Ableton Live 9 first make sure FTP is enabled in preferences. Then in Session view, create 6 MIDI tracks and select FTP (TP Guitar) as the MIDI From on all of them. Next set the from channels. First one is channel 1, second one is channel 2 and etc. to 6. I set Monitor to in on all of the.

Now set up NI Kontakt on another track and load an instrument. Now set track 1 - 6 MIDI To, to Kontakt, then the output channels to match the FTP channels. You don't need to arm the tracks unless you are going to record them. I route the audio from Kontakt to a separate audio track in most cases.

Spider

From my point of view Gtak will be redundant to FTP.  TriplePlay (as a hardware, guitar to MIDI converter) makes all things which does Gtak as a software: auto chromatic mode, splits, etc.

As I know only one think could be worth to consider: Gtak can trigger loops in Kontakt by touching string on specific frets.

drbill

My experience with Gtak & FTP is that I get more glitches with Gtak, so I don't use it with FTP. YMMV.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP