Shadow Hex Pickup from GTM6 on VG-8

Started by air-v, May 19, 2010, 02:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

air-v

Hello,
I've got an unused GTM6+Pedal board+Hex PU still in my stock (15€ all and never installed on my guitar what a shame but for my excuses i've no time) .... Recently i've bough a VG8 without GK and i need to buy one (GK2/3) to drive the VG.
Is there any way to recycle my old shadow Hex PU (it's simple TRS jack output) to connect it to the Roland VG system ?

Thanks

acousticglue

VG99 works with 1/4" but not all features

Elantric

The Shadow  GTM6 system employed an onboard  analog Multiplexer,  to send all 6 string signals over one TRS 1/4" phone plug connection. It was a proprietary system that relied on the Rack Mount Shadow/Ovation/Takamine /Charvel GT6M unit to decode these multiplexed signals. Sad to say it does not "play well" interfacing with other Guitar Synth systems.

Some trivia - The recent Tronical/Echo Audio designed Gibson Dark Fire/DuskTiger/LP Limited and RIP (Robot Interface Pack)  employ a similar analog multiplexing scheme  - but (sadly) the Shadow GT6M
signals remain incompatible with those units as well.

====A similar analog MUX implementation was employed by German company Shadow in the 1980's - whose technology was marketed by Kaman Music with MIDI Takamini and Ovation and Charvel MIDI guitars,   25 years ago

http://jpsongs.com/troubadortech/mgtr.htm#discon

MIDI guitar pioneer Shadow's first offering was the rack-mounted GTM-6 guitar-to-MIDI converter and companion hex pickup. Kaman briefly distributed this system, and offered four acoustic guitars--Ovation and Takamine, steel-string and nylon-string-- with Shadow hex pickups built in. To the best of my knowledge, these were the first nylon-string MIDI guitars in the world. An electric guitar version of the GTM-6 was sold with the Charvel nameplate.

Headless68

I had a Shadow GTM6 after my first Roland G700 / 707 - its tracked quite a bit quicker at the time - oddly a later G707 / 700 set up had some years later was much better so I guess roland did a firmware update.
Ironically the pickup in for the GTM6 died and that was the end of that at the time.

kenact

Quote from: Elantric on May 19, 2010, 09:37:36 AM
The Shadow  GTM6 system employed an onboard  analog Multiplexer,  to send all 6 string signals over one TRS 1/4" phone plug connection. It was a proprietary system that relied on the Rack Mount Shadow/Ovation/Takamine /Charvel GT6M unit to decode these multiplexed signals. Sad to say it does not "play well" interfacing with other Guitar Synth systems.

Some trivia - The recent Tronical/Echo Audio designed Gibson Dark Fire/DuskTiger/LP Limited and RIP (Robot Interface Pack)  employ a similar analog multiplexing scheme  - but (sadly) the Shadow GT6M
signals remain incompatible with those units as well.

Elantric, I was wondering if you know, has anyone ever tried using one of these Shadow systems with a Passac Sentient Six? I'm looking for a guitar to interface with an inexpensive Sentient Six controller I came across.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

admin

I understand this system is compatible with the Shadow GTM6
http://www.musikexport.com/e-shop/en/guitars/preamp--pickup-complete-sets-for-acoustic-guitars/shadow-hex-p-a-pedal
Shadow HEX-P-A Pedal

Shadow HEX-P-A Pedal   

Shadow HEX MULTIPLER

external preamp with nanoflex-6 pickup (one PU for every string)
road ready floor pedal, Individual gain control for each string
Master volume and 3-band EQ control, Automatic chromatic tuner
Master volume-control-unit for the soundhole of your guitar, Footswitches for volume up and down, Stereo output, Incl. high-quality output connection